End of support for older OS versions - what does it exactly mean?

• [quote]With Vivaldi version 1.1 we will drop support for Windows XP, Vista and versions of MacOSX below 10.9. Recently, the Chromium project dropped support for these older OSes (Operating Systems), since they are no longer actively maintaned by Microsoft and Apple. As Vivaldi is a small team at present, so we cannot afford to support these OSes seperately.[/quote] So... What does it exactly mean? It will be impossible to install Vivaldi on older systems or just "it will be possible that some elements would stop working... or... ? It's a pity because one of computers where I use Vivaldi is old server running Win2k3 and for me it's not possible to update it...

The support ends for these old OS.
    It means: you cant install Vivaldi on these older OS versions and will not get updates for Vivaldi.

WARNING:
    You can use Vivaldi 1.0 on these old OS with security issues on your own risk.

• @Gwen-Dragon:

It means: you cant install Vivaldi on these older OS versions and will not get updates for Vivaldi.

But does it mean "installer will quit" or "install on your own risk"?
    I don't need to have an older version of Vivaldi installed

• What she said. You cannot install current or later versions (presumably the installer will tell you why it cannot continue. Try it and see).

You can install Vivaldi 1.0 final (at your own risk).

The installer of a newer Vivaldi versions (>= 1.1.x) may warn you and stop installing on old OS.

• I think the original question, which I am also interested in since I have two XP machines in the house, is:

Will Vivaldi not be installed on old OSes because it CAN'T RUN on them or because Vivaldi CHOOSES NOT TO INSTALL on them?

That question still hasn't been answered…

Edit: and I would like to add that I find forced-obsolescence through software updates almost morally offensive! :lol:

I feel the same way. Right now, it looks as though Chromium 50 and any browser built on it will fail to install on XP.

• @mossman:

Edit: and I would like to add that I find forced-obsolescence through software updates almost morally offensive! :lol:

https://youtu.be/sHaVqQfMkxY

• @Ayespy:

I feel the same way. Right now, it looks as though Chromium 50 and any browser built on it will fail to install on XP.

Here you are [per my old VB XP VM inside my Linux Mint]:

[attachment=3324]Selection_001_20160421_18:49:39.png[/attachment]

It was nice at least to hear those old once-familar starting chords once more…
    Attachments:

• It's not misplaced entitlement when you feel annoyed that other people arbitrarily stop me from using my own equipment in a way that was completely fine up till now.

(Not having a dig at Vivaldi staff here - but I think Chrome actively preventing their software from running on something it used to run on "just because" is not right!)

• To follow up on Steffie's post, I tried running my portable USB install on my XP netbook and I get an error that GetThreadID is not found in kernel32.dll… so that answers the question: Vivaldi CAN'T RUN any more on older Windows.

Which sucks since I was looking forward to having the same set up on every machine in the house - like I did with Opera Presto.

Oooh I'm so self-entitled! :rolleyes:

;)

• Steffie => thanks for trying / screenshots / answer :)

I was just wondering if Google does not trick users about compatibility same as in Google Play Store…

I hate Google strategies - for example to force old Android versions users to buy a new phone
    For example they are just hiding all app updates despite it is possible to install some of them on older systems.
    It's not only that you cannot download them but they are just hidden for you until you register new phone at your Google account!

I can totally understand that company X is dropping support for product Y
    But why not to leave an option "install it at your own risk"?

mossman => Thanks too! GetThreadID is part of Vista API - it's interesting what exception appears on Vista xD

Yup… It really sucks..
    I use second older computer with XP in my work to compile older programs because customer want them to run on XP too..
    And I was used to browse with Vivaldi on this PC too :( :( :(
    I don't like to stay with Vivaldi 1.0 bugs but use new releases...

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.