Minimum tabs width

• Hello, I know we can put tabs on the side but i don't like it. When we have a lot o f tabs vilvaldi become unusable (i use firefox just because it don't do that) [attachment=3292]vivaldi.jpg[/attachment] Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/78873/vivaldi.jpg[/img]

• Vivaldi Team

@cosmi:

Hello,

I know we can put tabs on the side but i don't like it.

When we have a lot o f tabs vilvaldi become unusable (i use firefox just because it don't do that)

[attachment=3292]vivaldi.jpg[/attachment]

I see your point. In Firefox tabs are stacked off screen with a right/left slider arrow to access them. Is that a solution that works for you? Also, when you are up to certain number of tabs in Vivaldi pinned tabs have the same width as other tabs and may be hard to distinguish (although their placement kinda gives it away). Is that part your concern as well?

//C

• We need a tab sidebar with tree style and expand/collapse. This would be awesome. :)

• @christian:

@cosmi:

Hello,

I know we can put tabs on the side but i don't like it.

When we have a lot o f tabs vilvaldi become unusable (i use firefox just because it don't do that)

[attachment=3292]vivaldi.jpg[/attachment]

I see your point. In Firefox tabs are stacked off screen with a right/left slider arrow to access them. Is that a solution that works for you? Also, when you are up to certain number of tabs in Vivaldi pinned tabs have the same width as other tabs and may be hard to distinguish (although their placement kinda gives it away). Is that part your concern as well?

//C

The same solution has firefox would be good.
    And the issue is that more tab we have (not pined) more smaller they are but without minimum limit to tab width.

• What is needed are fixed tab width and multiline tab bar options.

Two main functions of a tab bar is to show what pages are open and allow to switch between them reliably.
    Tabs changing size, moving off screen, sliding, etc - all those things interfere with or block those two essential functions.

For me, without those two options Vivaldi is not suited for any serious work, as I can't track what pages I have open, switch
    between them automatically (on muscle memory), and closing bunch of tabs that change size with each click is a tedious chore.

• @christian:

In Firefox tabs are stacked off screen with a right/left slider arrow to access them. Is that a solution that works for you? Also, when you are up to certain number of tabs in Vivaldi pinned tabs have the same width as other tabs and may be hard to distinguish (although their placement kinda gives it away). Is that part your concern as well?

I don't like the FF solution (left/right slider).
    When there is a working tab stacking (see O12) the shrinking tab widths would be no issue for me.

With working I mean that I can put tabs inside different stacks and can unstack and restack these stacks.

• @christian:

I see your point. In Firefox tabs are stacked off screen with a right/left slider arrow to access them. Is that a solution that works for you?

How people can like such thing? It's very uncomfortable.

• Still looking for the firefox solution of tab sliding. It's ridiculous being up to 33 tabs and I can't read more than 3 letters per tab name. And tab stacking is nothing I am interested in -- digging through menus is terrible (I'm not going to memorize where all my tabs are buried, and it's going to get worse when I reach 100+ tabs). And multi-line tabs is nothing I'm interested in -- webpage real estate takes priority. The Firefox solution is just elegant. If I want to get back to an old tab, I just need to slide to the left. (Not a click and drag slide, just a tap-an-arrow-icon slide).

@exaskryz Vote for this feature request:

@gregor said in Feature requests for Vivaldi 1.14:

Hiding tabs that doesn't fit the tab bar - under the scroll button, with right click function - showing tabs list which do not fit.

• @pesala Thanks! Hope more people get on it. Amazed that there are so many people who can live without scrollable tab bars -- not just Vivaldi, but all Chrome users. I never used Chrome enough to realize their tabs have no minimum width.

The small tabs seem like they'd be a problem when you want to mute tabs playing audio in the background, since you can't see the icon at that point....

@exaskryz I have scrollable tabs. They are vertical, on the right. They are always legible, and none of them get in the way of the others.

@exaskryz I am amazed that there are so many people who need to open more than ten tabs, or if they do, cannot work with tab-stacks.

0_1516090229705_Three Tabs.png

Even 100 Tabs would be manageable in 10 tab-stacks.

• I am an advocate that what is on the browser should be the webpage. The toolbars should be minimal. A vertical list of tabs on the right would be eating up all the precious screen real estate. If I did a vertical list I'd have the problem I do now -- only reading up to three letters of the tab title at a time because I'm not going to have them take up 200 pixels width on the side of my screen. And ideally, I'd have the scrollbar on the far right. As I browse with my browser maximized, it's so easy to grab onto the scrollbar if I need it by blindly reaching to it on the side instead of having to navigate the thin column to not click on other tabs.

As for tab stacks, that's multiple other clicks to find what I Want. If I click into one tab stack and can't find the tab I'm looking for, I need to then jump to another tab stack, and keep repeating and all the work of moving my mouse around to do that is not good. If I can keep the mouse static and keep clicking on a single button until I find what I'm looking for, that works out better.

Yeah, it's amazing to want to use a web browser to go to websites, isn't it? If I'm in the middle of a research project, it might be useful to have all the papers I want open, instead of digging through my history to find the one paper I need and then navigating to it, losing the open copy of the other paper I need. Never mind when you're so busy that you are jumping between different projects.

Across 3 browsers right now I have 65 recently used tabs. If even half of them I can be permanently done with (if I were, I'd have closed them), that's still in excess of 30 tabs.

Beyond my belief for screen real estate, I believe the browser should be a tool I use. I shouldn't be the tool that the browser uses -- it should behave as any reasonable browser would.

As much as I want to get onto Vivaldi, I may have to go find a Firefox fork instead. I at least trialed this browser for a month.

@exaskryz Try the Quick Command dialogue (F2). Just start typing the title of the tab, or any part of it.

0_1516135542305_Find Tab.png

@exaskryz I suppose you must be operating from a laptop (an unfortunate trend, if you ask me, as I can barely tolerate laptops, having "old" eyes and 50 years experience typing on an inclined, full-sized keyboard by touch.) It is not possible at this stage of my life to re-train 50 years' habituation in muscle memory to a flat mini-keyboard. Plus, my display is a 24" wide-format, and even with a permanently opened sidebar on one side and tabs on the other, there is wasted space along the sides of web pages which, on the whole, are displayed in the center of my display with wide margins of nothing on either side.

I feel for your troubles, and I know that over time Vivaldi will be more and more compatible with more formats, including overflow tab menus and other allowances for non-desktop formats (like touch). At the moment, all available resources are being consumed trying to simply turn out the first FULL version of Vivaldi for desktop.

• @pesala That's a nifty idea, but that's an extra two button presses at minimum (I have to press Fn+F2 to get the F2 action) [i]and[/i] I need to know the title, add on the number of keystrokes it needs for the title. If I'm throwing open numerous tabs from one page and then scrolling through them all, I won't remember the titles.

MAAAAYBE I can use that if I can set up a button in the UI to click, and make that prompt's window much larger, and only show the tabs and not all the commands. But it's still much more intuitive to just scroll on a tab bar instead of bringing up a separate dialog.

@Ayespy I can't use a mini keyboard either, that's why I only use 17.6" or larger laptops. I need that numpad. But you are right I'm on a laptop with only a pitiful 1920x1080 resolution.

In regards to you having vertical scrolling tabs, I found https://css-tricks.com/pure-css-horizontal-scrolling/ this which might let me hack out a way to have scrolling tabs. How did you implement vertical scrolling tabs?

After I find time at the end of the month, I'm going to explore CSS and JS as ways to make the tab bar scroll. I may find how to do it in the firefox open source code and see how I can use the custom.css and custom.js files.

@exaskryz said in Minimum tabs width:

How did you implement vertical scrolling tabs?

If tabs are on the side, and exceed the available height, a scrollbar is shown. The scroll wheel can be used to scroll through the tabs. Enable Popup Thumbnails to view a preview with the title when the tab bar is resized to minimum width (icons only).

@exaskryz Vertical tabs scroll naturally, by design. They can be minimized in height by turning off tab thumbs, reduced in width to the point that all they display is their favicon. Further, as pesala says, you can enable pop-up thumbnails to display whenever you hover a tab. These popups also enable you to select an individual tab out of a stack. I keep mine at something over 200 Px in width because I have plenty of room, but one need not do so.

• @exaskryz This is my first day trialing Vivaldi after using Firefox for well over a decade. Their new Quantum is unusable though, at least until TabMixPlus gets re-done - if it can ever be made to work. I've duplicated most of the behaviour I need on this browser, but agree with you on how elegant Firefox's scrollable tabs bars are - along with the tab list button at the end. Being able to tweak the minimum tab width in the config editor is the other make or break item for me. If I can't find a way to have minimum tab widths with Vivaldi, I'll have to continue my frustrating search for a new browser.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.