First Impressions and Suggestions
thethirdtwin last edited by Pesala
So, I've been using Vivaldi as much as I could the past week or so, there are a few things that I've noticed, and noted handily in the Notes feature, that I'd like to share. I'll say first however that I come from Chrome, I see a lot of people on here were/are using Opera, so I'm comparing my experience with Chrome, not with Opera.
- One of my favourite features, when it was released in Chrome, was image search in the context menu, I'd like to see this as a feature in Vivaldi.
- Another of my more frequently used features was using a website as a search engine in the address bar, e.g. youtube.com [tab] now it's a search engine. I'd like to see this as a built-in feature.
- Although the zoom slider is a handy feature I feel it is lacking as it doesn't show the zoom level until we let go of the slider knob.
- I've seen a solution for adding custom icons to the speed dial items, but it's impractical for the number of items that I'd have in my speed dial. Also, transparency layers are nice.
- When adding bookmarks to the speed dial I've noticed that the previous URL is pasted 'on click'.
- I have added a search bar search engine, which works fine. However, the icon for this website is not generating in the search bar drop-down list.
- I have the dark theme, and as such, I notice that the transparency layer on active tabs icons isn't displaying, the tab icons have a white background in most cases.
- Although I have installed a new scrollbar (via stylish) that better matches the dark theme, the built-in scrollbar doesn't match the dark theme. Also, it's 2016. The scrollbar doesn't need to be so wide, nor does it need the up and down arrows.
- The middle mouse button doesn't have any effect on the home button, I think it should open the home page in a new tab.
- The F2 dialogue is awesome, I really like it, however, what about a voice search button? Custom voice commands?
- While writing these notes I noticed that when a webpage loads it takes focus from the notes panel, which is a bit annoying.
- The right click to set an image to the background isn't instant, and when I was doing it I wasn't sure it even worked. It did, but I wasn't sure for a minute.
- Another awesome feature I really like in Vivaldi is the page size and items displayed on the right-hand side of the address bar, however, it doesn't display fetching information, I'd like to see a bit more especially as there is no loading bar, it looks like the browser is hanging when I click a link.
- I like the built-in session saving although I'd like to see forms saved also.
- When using web apps like Google docs or pixlr, Vivaldi's hotkeys and the apps hotkeys conflict, CTRL+B, which would normally make text bold in Google docs, opens the bookmarks menu. This is a pretty major conflict that needs to be addressed.
- Opening a link in a new tab opens a white page, which doesn't match the dark theme, it's blinding at night, I'd like to see the default blank page colour as a darker colour, that matches the themes.
- Although I understand the missing built-in flash player, youtube, with HTML 5 enabled, is quite unstable, and often crashes midway through a video, and sometimes the page needs refreshing one or sometimes two times to get the video to play.
Well if you've read this far, thanks. I hope that a developer reads this and takes note of a few things even if some of these are personal preference. I hope to keep using Vivaldi and I'll hopefully one day I'll be able to use a browser that is as feature-rich as Chrome with less of the intense system usage.
Type the search keyword e.g. "w <search string="">" in the address bar to search wikipedia<search>