Chrome webstore for extensions inaccessible?



  • When I try to get an extension from the Chrome webstore, I get a message across the window saying that my "connection is not private" – and I cannot get any further. What am I doing wrong? Am I doing anything wrong?


  • Moderator

    That's a new one. Can't think what you might be doing that could possibly cause that. Maybe some user who has seen/fixed such a problem could comment. But for my part, I've never seen or heard of it.



  • I am told that a connection is not possible because the web site uses HSTS. "Because such errors tend to be temporary", it is suggested that I try again later. It's ten days later now, and I still get the same message, also with today's update of Vivaldi.


  • Vivaldi Team

    Do you use some kind of proxy?



  • It must be something like that – even if I don't know how. Just now I made a fresh install of Vivaldi on my office computer (like the one I have at home), and here everything seems to run as it should.

    I had also made a fresh install at home, but there the same problem persisted. In any case it seems it's not just Vivaldi itself that is causing the problem.



  • I'm back home again, and this problem is driving me nuts. I have disabled anything that could interfere (anti-virus, etc.), and still I get the same error message (see the picture).
    Attachments:



  • Try with chromium or opera 3x to see if the problem persist with them



  • @The_Solutor:

    Try with chromium or opera 3x to see if the problem persist with them

    Great idea. You're right: the problem persists. Just the same.

    But it's an error message from within the browser (both Vivaldi and Chromium), which I do not get in the office. So should I assume that there is some problem between these browsers and my internet provider at home?



  • @watcher:

    But it's an error message from within the browser (both Vivaldi and Chromium), which I do not get in the office. So should I assume that there is some problem between these browsers and my internet provider at home?

    Yes. Maybe your router is messing up some packets
    .

    If you can you can try to tether from your Phone. But also sometimes just turning on and off the router does marvels… B)



  • @The_Solutor:

    @watcher:

    But it's an error message from within the browser (both Vivaldi and Chromium), which I do not get in the office. So should I assume that there is some problem between these browsers and my internet provider at home?

    Yes. Maybe your router is messing up some packets
    .

    If you can you can try to tether from your Phone. But also sometimes just turning on and off the router does marvels… B)

    Just now I tried Vivaldi in Linux in a virtualization environment on the Mac, and it works there. So it's not a Mac problem (since Vivaldi on the Mac in the office works fine), not a router problem, but obviously something specific for my Mac here at home – though I still have no idea what it could be. Even with anti-virus scanners etc. switched off, Vivaldi (and Chromium) refuse to allow me to get to the Chrome extension site.

    Sorry for sounding what seems to be a false alarm. But thank you all very much for giving my problem some thought and offering suggestions.



  • @The_Solutor:

    If you can you can try to tether from your Phone. But also sometimes just turning on and off the router does marvels… B)

    That, my friends, may have been The Solution. I did not believe it (since the problem did not exist with Firefox / SeaMonkey / Safari), but now all the Chromium-based browsers (Chromium / Yandex / Vivaldi) work.

    I still don't understand why this affected the Chromium-based browsers and not Firefox / SeaMonkey / Safari… but in any case, Vivaldi is doing it's thing beautifully now.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.