Some questions before taking the plunge

• If already answered, point me to where ..... Used Opera until V10, then went no further. Still use that version for some things but switched to SeaMonkey for primary use. AdBlock? Yes or No? Image blocking (similar to Opera)? Reload all tabs? Stop all tabs? Sessions saved? When you open Vivaldi, do tabs from previous sessions open? Offline mode (Work Offline)? Passwords ... one of the things that annoyed me with Opera was that you could not see saved passwords without using a hack they didn't support. In SeaMonkey, you can. What about here?

@Four Seasons:

If already answered, point me to where …..

Used Opera until V10, then went no further. Still use that version for some things but switched to SeaMonkey for primary use.

AdBlock? Yes or No?

Image blocking (similar to Opera)?

Reload all tabs? Stop all tabs?

Sessions saved? When you open Vivaldi, do tabs from previous sessions open?

Offline mode (Work Offline)?

Passwords ... one of the things that annoyed me with Opera was that you could not see saved passwords without using a hack they didn't support. In SeaMonkey, you can. What about here?

No adblock yet.

No persistent image blocking yet. You can do per page in real time.

No reload all or stop all yet.

Yes, sessions saved. In fact it has a full "sessions" function as well.

Haven't seen an offline mode.

Yes, you can see your passwords using the Chromium password manager underlying the browser, but no official support within the browser.

• Hmmm, not promising (yet).

What about the part where people wrote add-ons? What was it called …. widgets? I can't remember right now.

Opera had widgets (micro-programs powered by Opera that would even run outside the browser) and, eventually, extensions (add-ons that increased browser options). Vivaldi has the ability to install and use most Chrome extensions. For instance, there are a number of Chrome ad-block extensions that work in Vivaldi. There are also some tab-handling extensions that can be installed. While I have been using Vivaldi as my default browser for about fifteen months, I have still resisted any impulse to install extensions. I use just one, that simplifies highlighting and copying (so that the formatting is not copied) and that is it. I prefer to wait for the browser to grow its own abilities, rather than add them on.

• Hi / welcome Four Seasons. Re Extensions, i know that Ayespy is far more self-disciplined than i wrt using these in V, but FYI, this is my suite, & they seem to work well for me & improve my overall browsing efficacy. My intention is to progressively remove each as over time V incorporates the additional functionality natively. Though my use of so many extensions probably horrifies many purists, my rationale is that i have a reasonable i7 cpu & 32 GB RAM, & i want the functionality now not just eventually, so why not?

[attachment=3262]Selection_001_20160417_14:32:55.png[/attachment]

[attachment=3263]Selection_001_20160417_14:33:21.png[/attachment]

[attachment=3264]Selection_001_20160417_14:33:47.png[/attachment]

[attachment=3265]Selection_001_20160417_14:34:09.png[/attachment]

[attachment=3266]Selection_001_20160417_14:34:34.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• @Four Seasons:

AdBlock? Yes or No?
    Image blocking (similar to Opera)?

I'm not sure whether you are asking if Vivaldi has native ad-blocking like Opera did ?
    I feel like that was a feature in Opera that dated from a time before extensions were possible/available.
    I don't think it would really serve the Vivaldi team to add their own ad-blocking solution, instead of simply making sure that the available extensions work.

I would suggest uBlock Origin, as Steffie already showed in the image she linked.
    And if you want image blocking, I would suggest you look at the extension uMatrix which is a good accompaniment to uBlock. It also blocks other unwanted content on pages, and allows you to select and remember which content is blocked.
    You can find both of these on the Chrome extension store, or through the authors Github site .

• Oh, and regarding image blocking, I just noticed there is a button to toggle images in the status bar at the bottom of the window.

Right. That's the per-page, per-instance real time blocking I spoke of. It's not persistent. But it is there.

• Jeez.

Should we come over to chew your food as well?

What "plunge"? Just download it for free and install it and start it, it's not like you are marrying it or selling your firstborn male child.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.