Very slow performance

• I love Vivaldi and was even enthusiastic enough to make it my default browser. But gosh, if one has previously been working on multiple browsers before shutting down, the speed of upload can be excruciating. This was the reason I gave up on Chrome, though it seems now Chrome is faster than Vivaldi. Can't quite bring myself to go back to Firefox (too buggy) after investing much time in personalising Vivaldi, but am now increasingly finding myself tempted by Safari. Does anyone still make browsers that actually work?

• From time to time I keep one eye on Otter browser. Simplistic but fast, IMHO.

• @BB2016

Vivaldi 1.7.735.46 (Stable channel) (64-bit) is definitely not slow anymore.
    I recently compared Fully Load Times in both Chrome and Vivaldi and I can assure you there are hardly any differences.
    Sometimes a website loads faster on Chrome, sometimes on Vivaldi.
    This was a boring job, but it was worth trying out.

0_1488036469356_Fully loaded time.jpg

• Newer versions of Vivaldi get slower and slower the longer they run.
    After running for a day or two, Vivaldi CPU usage spikes and it takes forever when a) doing any bookmark management (moving, adding, deleting) or b) opening Google Sheets document of even relatively small size. Recommend you repeat your test on browsers after a day of run time.

• @alik55 said in Very slow performance:

Newer versions of Vivaldi get slower and slower the longer they run.
    After running for a day or two, Vivaldi CPU usage spikes and it takes forever when a) doing any bookmark management (moving, adding, deleting) or b) opening Google Sheets document of even relatively small size. Recommend you repeat your test on browsers after a day of run time.

Agreed. I have to restart Vivaldi twice a day on average, it completely grinds to a halt. More annoyingly, just doing a CMD-Q closes all "Vivaldi Helper" instances in activity monitor, but it does not close the main "Vivaldi" instance (which is usually hogging 300-500 mb memory). I can't restart Vivaldi until I've manually opened Activity Monitor and done a "force quit" on that process specifically. It didn't use to be like this.

(Latest OSX, latest Vivaldi, iMac 5k Retina, 32gb ram, 1tb SSD)

• When some of the Vivaldi processes start to hog CPU time, I hibernate all tabs, which usually stops Vivaldi from using a lot of CPU time.

Would that work for you?

Most of my tabs are always hibernated, and so I don't often see the problems described in this thread.

But then, I shut down Vivaldi everyday (within 8 hours, that is).

• Vivaldi experience degraded so bad over the last couple updates that I had to go back top v1.5 - the oldest one that Google does not complain about as outdated Chrome engine. Great work Vivaldi team!

• @alik55: You need to dump that Google extension.

• I had uBlock and Xmarks. Disabled uBlock - no help. Cannot disable Xmarks until Vivaldi provides its own bookmark sync.

• @alik55: How and when does Google "complaint about outdated Chrome engine?" I have never seen any such thing.

• Downgrade to Chromium v53 or lower (Vivaldi 1.4) and visit Gmail or other Google sites.

• Since version 1.8, it took about 5 seconds to load the page, it's getting very annoying.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.