Vivaldi and your Linux desktop environment. How have you integrated Vivaldi with it?

• Vivaldi Team

Hi, As Linux users we are privileged since we can choose between a plethora of distributions and desktop environment to get our desktops just right. Right now I will focus on the look and feel and how you may have integrated Vivaldi into it. So let me go first, I run Ubuntu with Unity (yes I know, boring!) but I have made some changes to it to get everything to work for me visually and work floe wise. I am using all the Numix stuff, icons, gtk-theme and window decorations ( https://numixproject.org ). It's s flat design, well done, and looks good in my opinion. Vivaldi's built in window decorations happens to work very well with Numix but to get it all to come together I am running Vivaldi with the dark theme.This combination has worked very well for me and many have told me that it looks like the Vivaldi UI designers have spread their magic to the rest of my desktop. I do not expect everyone to like it. And I do expect some to dislike it even, But again, this is Linux and we use it to get it just right for me, myself and I! :) You'll see a screenshot of my desktop and I hope some of you will do the same and share how you have integrated Vivaldi into your Linux desktop. Or maybe you would simply like to say that you do not care as long as it works! That's a valid standpoint as well! [attachment=3235]Screenshotfrom2016-04-1515-46-08e.jpg[/attachment] //Christian - Vivaldi Technologies Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/365/Screenshotfrom2016-04-1515-46-08e.jpg[/img]

• I'm running manjaro Linux with a xfce/kwin mix. I have a dark theme default so I use vivaldi with the dark theme without colored tabs.
    Attachments:

• Vivaldi Team

@RocknRolf:

I'm running manjaro Linux with a xfce/kwin mix. I have a dark theme default so I use vivaldi with the dark theme without colored tabs.

That is very much up my alley! Love it. Thank you for sharing.:)

//Christian - Vivaldi Technologies

• I run a custom xsession with Compiz, Cairo-Dock/Glx-Dock, and Caja for drawing the desktop and my file-manager(but no other MATE desktop components) on Archlinux. There's also a Conky panel on my 2nd display, but it's not in the screenie.

I use the Cenodark-red GTK theme and mistEEk-aluminum icons at the moment, with a StormDrops cursor theme that you can't see in the screenshot…
    I also use a customized Dark Shiki Wine-Red Glass version of the "Ordinary" Emerald themes with Compiz.

My Vivaldi UI is modified a bit, including a custom scrollbar to match my GTK theme.

• Vivaldi Team

@hekel:

I run a custom xsession with Compiz, Cairo-Dock/Glx-Dock, and Caja for drawing the desktop and my file-manager(but no other MATE desktop components) on Archlinux. There's also a Conky panel on my 2nd display, but it's not in the screenie.

I use the Cenodark-red GTK theme and mistEEk-aluminum icons at the moment, with a StormDrops cursor theme that you can't see in the screenshot…
    I also use a customized Dark Shiki Wine-Red Glass version of the "Ordinary" Emerald themes with Compiz.

My Vivaldi UI is modified a bit, including a custom scrollbar to match my GTK theme.

So you prefer to use native window decoration instead of finding a theme matching Vivaldi's like I did? :)

• You should really try the Manjaro distro.

Either on XFCE or Plasma 5.6 flavours it comes incredibly well themed out of the box, using either the numix or the maia series of themes and icons, that are perfect to match Vivaldi's clean and sleek style.

• @christian:

So you prefer to use native window decoration instead of finding a theme matching Vivaldi's like I did? :)

I've never been very keen on programs imposing their own window decorations; I find it generally impedes my productivity. For example, allowing my Native window manager to draw the titlebar gives me the ability to roll-up/shade the window, and I can do it as easily as scrolling my mousewheel over the titlebar.
    [attachment=3258]rollup.png[/attachment]
    Also since I'm using a compositing WM I feel like I might as well use transparency whenever I can and as far as customization goes, I've more flexibility with my native WM.

The only real downside is when using the native decorator, there's a deadspace over most of my scrollbar making it difficult to navigate pages from time to time. :silly: (VB-14757)
    Attachments:

• @hekel:

@christian:

I've never been very keen on programs imposing their own window decorations; I find it generally impedes my productivity. For example, allowing my Native window manager to draw the titlebar gives me the ability to roll-up/shade the window, and I can do it as easily as scrolling my mousewheel over the titlebar.
    Also since I'm using a compositing WM I feel like I might as well use transparency whenever I can and as far as customization goes, I've more flexibility with my native WM.

The only real downside is when using the native decorator, there's a deadspace over most of my scrollbar making it difficult to navigate pages from time to time. :silly: (VB-14757)

looks like you have a taste which is the opposite of mine.

Since the stone age I had a squared theme for Opera which resembled the actual Vivaldi look, also often I did install compiz with the sole purpose of get rid of the decorations on definite apps, a feature present on Kde WM and Openbox, but not on other WMs :cheer:

• Vivaldi Team

@hekel:

@christian:

Interesting bug the one with the dead pace! That shouldn't be too hard to fix I would think. The window manager on Ubuntu doesn't have much fancy features, you can't even move the controls from left to right anymore. Very close to a showstopper, but I'm so used to Unity by now I'll just grumble and use it as is! :) I can fully appreciate your view on this though. I have my "hack around desktop" also I use when I want to mess with it, but that's another story! :)

• Mint x64 17.3 KDE4, Cairo-dock, Conky, 3 KDE Activities each with 9 Virtual Desktops [different wallpapers on each], & lots of the other KDE4 Desktop Effects also enabled. Wrt Vivaldi, the screenshot includes part of the Settings dialogue so you can see my general appearance choices. However the main way i've integrated Vivaldi into my Mint KDE distro is less aesthetic but more functional, via recently deciding to configure multiple KWin Mouse Gestures… see the other pic. I'm pretty chuffed about this coz now i have full functionality of my most used gestures including 4 that are not yet natively provided in V. It's quite nice. :)

[attachment=3275]Desktop.jpeg[/attachment]

[attachment=3276]KWinMouseGesturesforVivaldi_20160417_20:35:44.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• @RocknRolf:

I have a dark theme default so I use vivaldi with the dark theme without colored tabs.

Me too, but I'm running Vivald on ArchLinux with KDE Plasma 5. And I'm loving it, to have the tabs on the left side and I don't using the bookmarksbar, I using the speeddial instead.

[attachment=3281]Vivaldi.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• I use on lubuntu 15.10 with light theme without tab colourization and vertical tabs with native window management (openbox). I'm testing even on puppy linux VM (very particular distro) with jwm and the same settings.

• I'm running Manjaro Linux "mate" with a light theme. Integrates super

• Shortly after posting here in April I got bored with my themes and changed things up (I didn't care for my GTK theme much anyway). I wen't with a slightly customized Vertex Dark theme, shifting my accent colors to blue. I then tried to mimic the theme's colors, tabs, & scrollbars as closely as I could in Vivaldi. With the release of 1.3 most of my css broke and it's still messy right now, but while I'm working on it again I figured I'd share how I've currently integrated Vivaldi into my desktop.

As you can see, the addressbar/inputboxes both even have a blue border when active. :)

It's good enough that Vivaldi fits in pretty well with everything else, though I still need to solve a few things and work on the tab group indicators.

• I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 Sarah(x64) on Vivaldi snapshot(x64), and I'm having a bit of trouble integrating Vivaldi into Mint Cinnamon.

I use native window to get Mint-Y's window buttons, but if anyone knows how to do that through non-native window, let me know.

The scrollbar still looks like the W10 scrollbar. I just don't know how to change it to Mint-Y's scrollbar, and I've asked in the mods thread in this forum, but no answer seems to have come yet.

I also use DMZ-black mouse cursor, but Vivaldi overrides that and uses a white cursor.

I also have this gradient going down on Vivaldi's background, which stops it from looking 100% Mint-Y. I use #d9d9d9 as my accent color, and have accent colors on background(it's a variation of the Subtle theme). My background is #f6f6f6. This combination makes it look like a Mint-Y app, minus the gradient at the bottom.

Does anyone know how I can fix these issues? Other than that, I love Linux Mint, I just started dual-booting it with W10 a month ago or so, and I'd love to be able to integrate it better with the Mint-Y theme going on.

I am running BunsenLabs 8.5 bunsen-hydrogen with Openbox

• Debian stable + i3-wm:

Using native interface, with dark theme to go with my terminals. Move the interface out o my way: tabs on the right of my main screen, lateral panel on left but hidden most of the time, status and URI bars on bottom (because my eyes tend to stay on top of the screen). Unfortunately, there is a lot of space wasted by the icon/menu bar, that I don't know how I could get back.

The main problem I have with vivaldi, is the fact that it does not respect startup notifications and so, I can't start it on a workspace and go work on another: it would pop and annoy me at a random time (well, I only need 1 keystroke to move it to it's right place, but it's annoying, even more since vivaldi have a really long boot time).

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.