INSANE RAM CONSUMPTION (2700 MB)

• With 8 open tabs, on osx 10.11.4 using a 13 inch macbook pro middle 2014, the ram consumption is 2700MB!!!!! Almost 3 GB for a browser!

• Try launching it with the –process-per-site parameter.

• Is this after the browser has been open for a day or so? The browser process itself usually gets up to 1GB if I dont shut it down.

My Vivaldi has been open since yesterday morning. I have 31 tabs open. Its memory consumption at this moment is 657Mb or, to put it in Gigs, it's .657 GB.

I'm on a Win10 X64 machine (but running 32-bit Vivaldi) with 16 GB of RAM. All current running proccesses (explorer, Vivaldi, Email, PDF, plus my accounting program) are using 5.4 BG, so if the browser wanted more memory, it could certainly get it. But it's using just over half a gig.

• OS 10.11.4. Core 2 Duo (yeah, I know it's "vintage"), 4 GB. INSANE memory consumption. Vivaldi appears to create 100+ MB helper process per tab. 100+ MB helper here, 100+ MB helper there, soon it's consuming gigabytes. Closed tabs continue to consume memory. Killing main Vivaldi process appears to free all memory.

I'd suggest addressing performance and memory consumption issues before adding additional features.

• I've tried to use Vivaldi as my main browser at work on a Win7 Enterprise machine with 20g (later updated to 32g) ram. I open the browser with 7 tabs. I compared Vivaldi, Chrome, Opera, and Firefox and Vivaldi was by far the worst for memory consumption. I don't have the numbers here at home but it was very depressing seeing how much more memory Vivaldi used than the others.

That plus the fact that all the Chrome based browsers suffer a half hour buffering delay in opening internet radio stations means that I have actually started using Firefox for the first time in years.

• @thecdn:

I've tried to use Vivaldi as my main browser at work on a Win7 Enterprise machine with 20g (later updated to 32g) ram. I open the browser with 7 tabs. I compared Vivaldi, Chrome, Opera, and Firefox and Vivaldi was by far the worst for memory consumption. I don't have the numbers here at home but it was very depressing seeing how much more memory Vivaldi used than the others.

Vivaldi is basically a Chrome - which isn't lean by itself - which runs a very sophisticated JS webapp on top if it - together with a few extensions. Opera OTOH decided to develop a native GUI for their Chrome skin. And that meant, they dropped support for everything but Windows basically (they later added OSX and Linux years later , but I don't think anyone cares anymore).

• Not quite. They had OSX same time as Windows went stable, but Linux was later.

• I hope that this insane ram consumption will fix quickly, because I love Vivaldi and the project looks good, but 3GB of ram is really to much.

• This is the screenshot of the Activity Monitor page about vivaldi
    Attachments:

• The ram consumption is arrive to 4 GB. 4 GB!!!!!!! Half of my ram!!!

• I think you have definitely something wrong on your profile.

Vivaldi uses way more RAM than Opera 12. That's true, but 2700MB is really too much.

try to rename your user profile and start fresh to see what happens

I agree. His task manager shows tons of Vivaldi Helper processes, whereas mine only shows one. Further, with 30 tabs in the tab bar, I use less than a third of the RAM that he does, and my system has 16 GB to offer. Of course OSX may identify processes differently from Windows, but still - that's just wrong.

• @Ayespy:

I agree. His task manager shows tons of Vivaldi Helper processes, whereas mine only shows one. Further, with 30 tabs in the tab bar, I use less than a third of the RAM that he does, and my system has 16 GB to offer. Of course OSX may identify processes differently from Windows, but still - that's just wrong.

I think the number of Vivaldi Helper processes is normal; I've got a similar amount of Helper processes with Chrome or Opera 37. (And a high memory usage, although it's a little lower with Opera.)

• Same problem there. I wanted to switch to Vivaldi as a main browser since a tech preview I've done a few month ago.
    But RAM consumption is too much for me. I usually have around 3 browser windows with 10 tabs each on a basis day of working. Vivaldi take around 50% more RAM than Chrome which is way too much.

sadly

• @Frederic_C said in INSANE RAM CONSUMPTION (2700 MB):

Same problem there. I wanted to switch to Vivaldi as a main browser since a tech preview I've done a few month ago.
    But RAM consumption is too much for me. I usually have around 3 browser windows with 10 tabs each on a basis day of working. Vivaldi take around 50% more RAM than Chrome which is way too much.

sadly

You're speaking of the 64bit version, I assume.

• Has there been any indication of this changing? There are many aspects to vivaldi I love, but even when I hibernate background tabs, it still pulls an awful lot of resources. 0_1481824038314_Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 11.46.44 AM.png. I do have a lot of tabs open in multiple windows/desktops, but being on a 2015 mbp I don't think there is a way to add more ram, or else that'd be my first plan of action. Any advice?

• Agreed... hate all the helper tabs... have heard it has to do with sandboxing the pages... but I recall have 50+ tabs open on computers with only 1 GB or so RAM... granted the pages were much smaller back then.... Not sure if this will ever change since it is built upon Chrome now...

@bbrinkley - Google is working on optimizing Chromium resource use now, we hear. Bit by bit, it should get better. As it is, some benchmarks show that the 32-bit version of Vivaldi uses less RAM than Chrome.

Interestingly, with background tabs hibernated, I get 1700 MB in use - and this is on a 32-bit system.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.