I very much like Vivaldi, but…

• I really like Vivaldi browser: the whole idea, some smart decisions and, why not, the look. I really do, that's why I'm honestly sad about what I am going to say. I'm using stable 1.0 exclusively for about an week and while there were some minor or medium problems, I was confident they will be fixed soon. However, the last problem I've noticed, about saving downloads, even if I explicitly choose "Open", seems like a deal-breaker. Especially it's a known bug since last year, and it wasn't fixed yet. It was frustrating to see that now I need to scan through dozens of XLS files and delete those that I didn't want to keep in a first place. Aside from Open/Save bug, just for the record, here's few more that I would like to see fixed before I allow Vivaldi to take over as my default web browser: - Save to Pocket doesn't work (Vivaldi just crashes) - No way to turn off password saving (I'm using LastPass) - Sometimes typing search phrase into address line doesn't work - it draw a conclusion from the history based on first word or two, and ignores the rest of typed line - When I start typing URL, I expect that first suggestion is just a domain, not full URL (that's how Firefox works) - Please change default keys - Backspace is not suitable for "Back" option, or at least disable it when focus is on textarea or input. Same goes for Ctrl + <- and Ctrl + -> - Open new tab inside a group, if present (I believe this is already available in v1.1?) And few feature requests that I would like to see once problems are fixed: - Better group management - Sync between computers (ideally, I would like to use my own server or cloud) - This is something similar to Firefox groups, but not exactly. I wish I have a "tabs above tabs", that I can easily create and remove. One of possible names for this is "Tab Context". Basically, when I need to research something separate from what I was doing, I wish to open new Tab Context and work inside it, and easily switch back and forth other context. Tab groups alone are not good for this, because there will probably be more than just few tabs per context. That's it from the memory. I'll keep an eye for further development and hope for the best. :)

• Vivaldi Team

@brugi:

I really like Vivaldi browser: the whole idea, some smart decisions and, why not, the look. I really do, that's why I'm honestly sad about what I am going to say.

I'm using stable 1.0 exclusively for about an week and while there were some minor or medium problems, I was confident they will be fixed soon. However, the last problem I've noticed, about saving downloads, even if I explicitly choose "Open", seems like a deal-breaker. Especially it's a known bug since last year, and it wasn't fixed yet. It was frustrating to see that now I need to scan through dozens of XLS files and delete those that I didn't want to keep in a first place.

Aside from Open/Save bug, just for the record, here's few more that I would like to see fixed before I allow Vivaldi to take over as my default web browser:

• Save to Pocket doesn't work (Vivaldi just crashes)
    • No way to turn off password saving (I'm using LastPass)
    • Sometimes typing search phrase into address line doesn't work - it draw a conclusion from the history based on first word or two, and ignores the rest of typed line
    • When I start typing URL, I expect that first suggestion is just a domain, not full URL (that's how Firefox works)
    • Please change default keys - Backspace is not suitable for "Back" option, or at least disable it when focus is on textarea or input. Same goes for Ctrl + <- and Ctrl + ->
    • Open new tab inside a group, if present (I believe this is already available in v1.1?)

And few feature requests that I would like to see once problems are fixed:

• Better group management
    • Sync between computers (ideally, I would like to use my own server or cloud)
    • This is something similar to Firefox groups, but not exactly. I wish I have a "tabs above tabs", that I can easily create and remove. One of possible names for this is "Tab Context". Basically, when I need to research something separate from what I was doing, I wish to open new Tab Context and work inside it, and easily switch back and forth other context. Tab groups alone are not good for this, because there will probably be more than just few tabs per context.

That's it from the memory. I'll keep an eye for further development and hope for the best. :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain your decision to let Vivaldi be for a while. We will use your input, like we do with all input we get, to make Vivaldi even more aligned with what a broader spectrum of users are looking for. The UI which you do like is designed using web technologies and is easily adaptable to new ideas and functionality additions.

And then there's the issue that not every extension work. We simply do not know, but we are learning quickly, which ones are important to our users. One of those is Pocket and we will do all we can to make it works just like we have with other extensions we DID know was important such as LastPass.

And finally, sync. We know how important this is. We did not want to throw it in there. We want it to be fast, complete and secure. We are working on it in addition to the other important addition, e-mail.

I hope you decide to come back to us at some point. We really need, and appreciate users who say how they feel about the browser even when it's not all good. So thank you for sticking with it for a while and welcome back when we have it all the way you need it to be! :)

//Christian - Vivaldi Technologies

• @christian:

@brugi:

We will use your input, like we do with all input we get, to make Vivaldi even more aligned with what a broader spectrum of users are looking for.

That's what I like to hear. :) I tried to move back to Firefox today, but… ugh... You, sirs, have already spoiled me. ;) Now I'm using both, but I will need to decide eventually.

Please, I beg you, fix download Open/Save problem, it's really the main thing that urged me to write the post, I can live with other small bugs for a while. I'm not sure why is it hard to implement saving to temp folder. Otherwise, what's the point of even having an "Open" option?

Anyway, thank you for your attention and keep up the great work!

• Oh yes, another important thing that, I believe, was mentioned earlier: I would like to be able to change a page that opens in new tab (it would suffice if I can choose home page), so we can use some of speed dials, custom bookmarks, etc.

• Lastpass also crashes if you try to add binary component (necessary for some of it's functionality like basic http auth)
    But as far as pocket, lookup an extension called Pickpocket. It does allow you to save to pocket, and in my view is a better pocket extension anyway. Functionally it's much closer to the old discontinued one, the one that allowed you to do everything from a pulldown instead of forcing you to open a web page.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.