VIVALDI 64-BITS

• Good evening, When we can expect a Vivaldi version for Windows 10 64-bits ? Best regards.

• @lukvdl:

Good evening,

When we can expect a Vivaldi version for Windows 10 64-bits ?

Best regards.

Now.

Just go to the download page https://vivaldi.com/download/ and download it.

• I am using 64-bit Vivaldi now on Windows 7 64-bit.

https://vivaldi.com/download/download.php?f=Vivaldi.1.1.443.3.x64.exe

• The version x64 is working fine.
    I use it all the day.

OK, i'm a little bit biased as a Vivaldi tester team member. ;)

• Hello,

OK, I knew about the experimental 64-bits version, but what I mean is when a "stable" version would be available.
    What about this ?

Best regards.

• @lukvdl:

Hello,

OK, I knew about the experimental 64-bits version, but what I mean is when a "stable" version would be available.
    What about this ?

Best regards.

Using the 64bit version is practically pointless nowadays.

• @The_Solutor:

Using the 64bit version is practically pointless nowadays.

An interesting theory, but why would the developers even bother to produce one if there was no advantage at all?

What I heard was that it is faster than the 32-bit version.

• I think there are several advantages and disadvantages to it (yes, a little more secure, but a noticeable bump in RAM usage, etc, etc) that people could list. There's no clear answer as to which is preferable since it all depends on how someone weighs each side.

• Personally I think there's no clear answer since there's no clear difference between the two. I honestly see zero difference in performance between them.

So personally, I see no reason to have two versions - and since the 32 bits is compatible with more systems I would just stick with that.

• Unfortunately it is called experimental by Vivaldi. Why?Bbecause less of the developers use Windows x64 and therefore a x64 is not very much tested by the developers.
    But the x64 version is tested by internal Vivaldi tester team and msot of us can say: it is a Stable. :)

• X64 uses more resources and can sometimes gain some speed or "power" that way. It uses potentially twice the processor cycles (cuz it can run two cores at once for each task) and twice the RAM, plus more wattage. However, there are hardly any tasks a desktop computer can do that require all of that horsepower to turn an optimum result in optimum time.

X32 will often run at a higher frequency per thread to do the same things.

I have a V8 pickup and a 4-cylinder hybrid. At peak combined output, the hybrid can generate 178 HP. It gets 45-50 mpg. The truck generates about 250 HP. It gets about 11-15 mpg. Both vehicles make a 600 mile trip in the same time, but the truck costs me four times as much to do the trip. However, if I have to haul a big load, I would not trust it to the hybrid.

Like on my desktop tower, I prefer to run my big image processing program in 64-bit (I have my choice). But I run most other things in 32-bit. I don't need to burn all that gas to do the same thing.

• @rseiler:

I think there are several advantages and disadvantages to it (yes, a little more secure, but a noticeable bump in RAM usage, etc, etc) that people could list. There's no clear answer as to which is preferable since it all depends on how someone weighs each side.

Heard from some report that in the 64-bit, it can implement the address space layout randomization (ASLR), making it harder for malicious websites to exploit browser vulnerabilities. But I don't know if vivaldi have it or not.

• @Pesala:

What I heard was that it is faster than the 32-bit version.

One of the most radiated urban legends ever on the IT area.

Anyway we discussed over and over the matter, well before the 64 bit version of vivaldi was available. I don't mind to start over. Just search the old threads.

• @The_Solutor:

Anyway we discussed over and over the matter, well before the 64 bit version of vivaldi was available.

I am well aware of such discussions, but perhaps Gwen-Dragon has some reasons for saying what she did, since she may have some inside information that we do not.

• @Pesala:

I am well aware of such discussions, but perhaps Gwen-Dragon has some reasons for saying what she did, since she may have some inside information that we do not.

Gwen is a tester, just like me, and Vivaldi x64 must be tested as all the other vivaldi version.

The x64 one day will become the main one, no matter if because the evolution or because Google and/or MS will enforce it, no matter if because a real need or because commercial reasons.
    So developing, keeping updated, and testing is absolutely mandatory.

Also don't forget that on latest win servers all the x86 subsystem can be optionally removed (it make really sense there if no other x86 sw is needed) so, in such scenario, the x64 flavor becomes mandatory.

That sais I'm talking about the actual scenario for the average user, with average browsing needs, "today".

Vivaldi x86 is generally faster, less resources demanding, more thoroughly tested and more compatible. That's all.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.