How Standalone is the Standalone installation?

• A common approach I use with portable apps is to install them on my main machine into C:\PortableApps, and then copy the ones I want to have access to whilst travelling to my laptop. Mostly, this works well enough. But I just tried this with Vivaldi after installing the 'standalone' option. On my laptop, Vivaldi runs fine, but it has none of the extensions I've installed on my desktop machine. Does that mean it's storing extensions or at least the list of installed extensions somewhere else? Or is it because it finds it's running on different hardware? I really rather not have to install all the extensions again, and until Sync is working, copying to my laptop seemed like a simple workaround - until I tied it... Is there a way to 'clone' the entire app onto a different machine?

• Chrome extensions are bound to the Windows user account. As are stored passwords.

• Right - thanks. I'm used to GoogleChromePortable for PortableApps.com, which I guess must be using the PortableApps framework to ensure all the extension stuff is kept together (copying GoogleChromePortable does bring extensions to the other machine).

Ah well, guess I'll have to wait for Sync :).

• There is a workaround….. ;)
    Go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data and copy the "Default" folder from there to your standalone folder....
    Put the "default" folder in Vivaldi Portable (your root directory; mine is named vivaldi portable)->User Data; replace the "default" folder with the one that you copied from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data..... :)
    Then all your extensions, settings, bookmarks, etc. will stay with your standalone version..... ;)
    NOTE: Be sure to close all instances or vivaldi before doing this or your browser might become corrupted..... ;)

Hope that helped~ :)

• @werty8763:

There is a workaround….. ;)
    Go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data and copy the "Default" folder from there to your standalone folder....
    Put the "default" folder in Vivaldi Portable (your root directory; mine is named vivaldi portable)->User Data; replace the "default" folder with the one that you copied from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data..... :)
    Then all your extensions, settings, bookmarks, etc. will stay with your standalone version..... ;)
    NOTE: Be sure to close all instances or vivaldi before doing this or your browser might become corrupted..... ;)

Hope that helped~ :)

@jtsn:

Chrome extensions are bound to the Windows user account. As are stored passwords.

Both can't be right.
    I know passwords can't be accessed when used on another machine, but extensions :unsure:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.