Some videos not working



  • Getting a black screen with working audio when trying to view some videos on YouTube or Facebook (Some work, some don't) I think the video I'm trying to watch is in HTML5, at least I know it is on YouTube. I did however install the Adobe Flash Player 21 PPAPI like I found on various forums for Vivaldi. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this issue? Should I uninstall Flash Player (Only installed for the even that websites aren't using HTML 5 or etc) Is this a known issue? I installed the UBlock Origin ad blocker and the YouTube Black Theme, should I try disabling these? Loving the browser, just got into it and wanting to make it my main because of the cool geeky features and how fast it is compared to Firefox, any help would be appreciated. FYI Vivaldi just came out with an update not long ago, could this be related? Specs: Windows 10 Home x64 AMD A10-8700P APU 10 Core (4CPU - ^GPU) 16GBs RAM 500GB SSD AMD Radeon R9 M385X 300/20 Mbps TWC Internet connection. Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/77951/blankvideo.jpg[/img]



  • I did however install the Adobe Flash Player 21 PPAPI like I found on various forums for Vivaldi. Any suggestions?

    That has solved the problem for many (as you found out) - I will assume that you already checked Tools/Plug-ins (and clicked on details) to verify that PPAPI flash is installed and enabled.

    Another has been the hardware acceleration setting,
    chrome://settings/search#hardware

    You can read about the updates to release 1.0 at https://vivaldi.net
    There was a "minor update to Release 1.0" for general use (installed automatically or by check for updates) and a new Snapshot for the "risk takers" that has to be installed manually over the release 1.0 - but that had no video specific fixes :whistle:

    I don't know the Youtube extension, so you could try disabling/removing that temporarily (I use Ublock origin and it is enough to just switch that off and reload to test it).

    If you still have problems, assuming you have Vivaldi 1.0.435.42 (or later), we would need example urls as you say some work and some don't.



  • Vivaldi 1.0.435.42 () (32-bit)

    This is the version I'm running off of, which seems to be the same version you're running.
    I'll check out the Hardware Acceleration, since I'm running an APU system with a dedicated graphics card as well it's possible it could be an issue with something to do with that (Tried making the dedicated graphics card my main card a while back and it had issues with the browser, but I disabled that a while back as well and it fixed the issue, that was also with Firefox way before I ever downloaded Vivaldi) I'm uploading a screenshot of my Plugins, just want to verify that's the right version, as you can see it's installed and enabled.

    I'll disable/enable the Hardware Acceleration and post back if that helps. Also I tried disabling both extensions last night, rebooted, and tried webpages and still the same thing, also found out this mostly seems to happen on Facebook more than YouTube (Apparently the issues I was having with YouTube was related to my VPN, so as long as I'm off that it seems to work fine) If you have any other suggestions please let me know!
    Attachments:



  • @TbGbe:

    I did however install the Adobe Flash Player 21 PPAPI like I found on various forums for Vivaldi. Any suggestions?

    Another has been the hardware acceleration setting,
    chrome://settings/search#hardware

    This seemed to fix the issue, I'll play around with it more, but 1st 3 videos on Facebook now working with video and audio after disabling Hardware Acceleration so thanks for your help, I'll test it throughout the day and message back later!! Sooo happy now!!! :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:



  • On some sites with videos it helps to deactivate hardware acceleration, but sometimes Windows codecs need a ctivateded one.
    Strange issues with Windows codecs.



  • Glad it helped.

    By the way (for your information):-

    I'm uploading a screenshot of my Plugins, just want to verify that's the right version,

    On that plug-ins page, click on the blue "details" link in the upper right.
    Then you'll see all information - including the "vital" NPAPI or PPAPI plug-in type.



  • Ok sorry not to post back, been busy, so I was still having weird issues, and I think I may have narrowed it down to the display drivers for AMD's APU/Radeon R9 M385X, but only time will tell on that, I recently updated my card drivers to 16.3.2 and have now downgraded to 15.12 because of some other issues I was having and error messages that I was seeing in the Windows Event Viewer (I work in IT for a living, so I know my way around the Windows OS) I was really hoping the drivers weren't the case, however I was really wanting to try them out as AMD has just released the Vulkan RT for their drivers, and since this is a gaming laptop I'll squeeze all the extra performance I can get out of this 4GB card. (Current benchmarks are giving it around an 20% boost in 1080p) Guess I'll just have to suck it up and wait for Vulkan to become more stable before installing (Funny thing is, the AMD software recommended that I download this driver update) Either way I just updated the drivers 10 minutes prior to this post, so it's possible that I could just be talking hot air and don't realize it yet. At this time I'm still leaving hardware acceleration off.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.