Some feedback from new user and some questions

• I'm really happy so far with vivaldi. I used opera 12 for a long time after it was "ended" because the competitors did not have the good usability and I did not want to install tens of addons to just get fraction of the usability options back. Anyways, I've been positively impressed so far! However, some features seem missing that I liked in opera 12. - I could open new tabs by using the mouse middle button. Now I need to press the + sign next to the tabs. Small thing though. - drag tabs to create new windows. If I want to watch something like a youtube video while browsing (have two separate windows open) I could just grab, drag and drop the youtube tab outside of the opera window and it created new window. I have not found how to do this with vivaldi. This is one reason why I still use opera along with vivaldi - I'd really like the bookmark bar to be on the left side of the window. Not on top or bottom - one thing I really liked about opera was how you could customize the menu layout. You could add zoom bar next to the address bar that worked simply by placing the mouse cursor on top of it and scrolling. Useful when you need to zoom. With vivaldi I see there is this some kind of zoom on the bottom right side of the window but it doesn't seem to be doing anything (and you need to click and drag, it doen't react to mouse scrolling). I hope more customization options are coming :). - other menu button I'd want to see is fit the page to window width button. Some old forums for example allow big image attachments to be placed one next to each other which creates a really wide page. Or similarly allow really big images but don't scale them to fit window width. This button was also very useful when on some pages I had to fiddle with the zoom to get small video player image little bigger and centered to the window size. - ctrl+F doesn't seem to work in all pages. For example if you press ctrl+F in vivaldi://about/ the search doesn't work (ctrl+F does nothing). - is it possible to disable tab preview that opens if you press mouse middle button just below the tabs (the tab expands into bigger menu showing tab previews)? I sometimes accidentally middle mouse click too low and accidentally open the previews instead of closing a tab. - I use the middle mouse scroll a lot. Basically press the middle mouse button and move mouse up or down and the page moves fast. However to get out of that you need to press the middle mouse button again. I'd like it if you could get out of the scroll mode by simply scrolling the middle mouse button as well. Also it would be nice if the scroll speed wasn't limited by screen top and bottom borders. That way the faster the page scrolls the further away you move your mouse up or down. Now if you middle mouse click on the bottom of the screen your scroll speed towards bottom is really slow because the screen bottom doesn't allow the mouse to move any more down. It would be nice the scroll would increase if you keep moving the mouse down even if the mouse cursor is hitting against the screen bottom

You can also open a new tab by double-clicking the tab bar.

And if you middle-click a link it opens in a new background tab.

You can't yet drag tabs to new windows but you can put them in new windows with the context menu (right-click on tab)

I, too, want my bookmark bar on the side. In my case, I want it on the right side.

More customization options are coming.

The ability to accidentally reveal tab thumbs when you have them turned off is a bug of long standing. Developers know about it, but haven't squashed it yet.

• @Ayespy:

I can't actually. It just resizes the window

@Ayespy:

This I like but it is not what I meant :)

@Ayespy:

You can't yet drag tabs to new windows but you can put them in new windows with the context menu (right-click on tab)

Great. However it seems to be broken. If I go to youtube for example and open two videos in separate windows (and play them both) there seem to be issues. One is that the zoom doesn't seem to work properly (it takes long time for the zoom to react and when you try to zoom in one window it zooms both windows in). Another is that one of the pages loses focus, none of the buttons on that window seem to work without huge delay.

Anyway, I'm still happy you can make a tab into new window via the context menu! Needs little more work though. I like how you can move separated windows back to tabs as well. Although in youtube this causes the videos to start to play from beginning instead of where it was at the time of moving the window back.

• Just came here to say to say that Drag tab to create new window should be there as soon as possible. I'm also a new user and lack of this feature is much frustrating.

• One other thing: I got this situation when I'm using two windows on two screens is, lets say I'm using window1 reading, scrolling etc. when I hover over window2 or even select it and press back with mouse button, instead of window2 going back, window1 does the back function. So I need to manually go and press the back button on window2 for it to go back a page. That's really frustrating, while on chrome you just need to hover over the window 2 and press back and it goes back.

@Aghors:

@Ayespy:

I can't actually. It just resizes the window

@Ayespy:

This I like but it is not what I meant :)

@Ayespy:

Great. However it seems to be broken. If I go to youtube for example and open two videos in separate windows (and play them both) there seem to be issues. One is that the zoom doesn't seem to work properly (it takes long time for the zoom to react and when you try to zoom in one window it zooms both windows in). Another is that one of the pages loses focus, none of the buttons on that window seem to work without huge delay.

Anyway, I'm still happy you can make a tab into new window via the context menu! Needs little more work though. I like how you can move separated windows back to tabs as well. Although in youtube this causes the videos to start to play from beginning instead of where it was at the time of moving the window back.

Your remarks here (double-click doesn't open new tab, can't open tab in new window) makes it sound as though you're using an obsolete version or your profile is corrupt or both - or maybe you have extensions installed which are making a hash of things.

If you were to clean your profile, and make sure your version number is at least 1.0.435.42, it might clean up some of this for you.

• @Ayespy:

Your remarks here (double-click doesn't open new tab, can't open tab in new window) makes it sound as though you're using an obsolete version or your profile is corrupt or both - or maybe you have extensions installed which are making a hash of things.

If you were to clean your profile, and make sure your version number is at least 1.0.435.42, it might clean up some of this for you.

My version is 1.0.435.42
    I have the following addons: WOT, ublock origin, HTTPS everywhere and stopsocial.

Maybe it is a setting I've turned off accidentally?

• @Ayespy:

I just went through all the settings and I can't get the middle mouse button or double clicking to open new tabs. I'm using 1.0.435.42 version. Middle button does nothing and double clicking only resizes the window between windowed and fullscreen. I have windows 8.1.

Did you clean your profile?

• @Ayespy:

Did you clean your profile?

You mean reinstall? No.

No, I meant clean your profile. Rename or remove the User Data/Default folder (depending on whether you want to add back your bookmarks, favicons, thumbnails, favicons, etc.) or, as a last resort, rename or remove the User Data folder altogether. If you do either of these actions (with the browser closed, obviously) the program will make new clean folders when you start it again.

• I see the same double-click behavior as Aghors (resizes rather than opens a tab). Renaming the Default folder does not correct it. Disabling Adblock Plus and Disconnect (my only extensions) likewise does not fix it. Any other suggestions? I have ver 1.0.435.42 on Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

edit: Disabling all plug-ins doesn't fix it either.

I wonder if this is a conflict in mouse drivers? Do you guys have something other than a garden-variety 3-button mouse or advanced 3rd party mouse software?

• Could be- I've got a Logitech M325 wireless mouse with "Set Point" software and "Unifying Receiver" (latest versions). All mouse functions are set to default mode. I just checked the double-click on Firefox and IE and guess what? They resize, too. Don't have Opera or Chrome to try but I'll bet they behave the same way. I'm going to play with the settings and see if I can change something.

edit: No settings changes affect the double-click. Also, I just tried another computer with only IE11 and a wired (PS2) mouse and it resizes, too, so it seems that's normal behavior for IE

• I have logitech mx518 mouse with its setpoint driver. However, the middle mouse button and double clicking to open new tab works in opera 12 (but not in vivaldi). I have not set any special keys in the mouse software.

So Logitech with a recent SetPoint update seems to be a common denominator. Perhaps this information can help developers to adjust things.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.