Chrome://settings/content

• As far as I can see the various settings available under chrome://settings/content are not accessible via the settings menu. Surely they should be -- they're more or less essential?

• see if helps:

vivaldi://chrome/settings/search#a

• The suggested search brings up a number of configuration options, some of which are found under the tools/settings menu, some of which are not. Most seem to be quite important, so I don't understand why they're not available via the menu (rather than via chrome:// urls). My impression is that the tools/settings menu is lacking a lot of necessary options – this may of course be intentional if more advanced options are only intended to be available via chrome:// urls (though I can't find that that's documented), but it looks more likely that the code for quite a lot of options has fallen out of the menu structure.

I mentioned the content section -- the search result seems to indicate that this should be available as a button on one of the settings subcategories. If it is I can't find it.

Another I see immediately is a toggle for remembering passwords. On "my" settings/privacy there is no such toggle -- just PASSWORDS/No saved passwords found.

Version 1.0.435.42 () (64-bit) on Mint Debian (and the same on 32-bit Xubuntu at another location).

• There are many Chromium settings that have not been fully adapted to Vivaldi yet, and many settings and configuration options that Vivaldi has not yet written into the settings UI. They are coming a bit at time. Already, the Settings menu is more than three times the size it was when Vivaldi first saw the public light of day. Patience is our watchword…

• OK - thanks for your reply.

Perhaps this "lots of stuff still to come" should be made clearer, or the back-door configuration methods documented? The current version is supposed to be a full release of a highly configurable browser, and I can see lots of potential users simply dropping the whole thing because of the stipped down settings menu: "no pop-up management and no way to turn off password management? Forget it".

I'm almost in that category myself. A longterm "old" Opera user curious to see if I felt myself at home. I only persevered because I had a little time on my hands and I really couldn't believe the gap between the pr-stuff ("for professional users") and the stripped down reality. The "missing" settings UI stuff seems pretty finished – is it really such a big job to put it into the menu system?

• It's the first stable public version of a browser that will ultimately allow you to change the interface in myriad ways, will contain built-in email and reportedly CSS as well, will (already does?) incorporate more tab handling and interface options than any other, etc. But at some point, a very incomplete product had to be accepted as sufficiently stable for the public to begin to use on a broad basis.

Already it has, built in, features that no other "modern" browser does - the ability to turn on or turn off or place in different positions: the sidebar, the tab bar, the status bar, the address bar, the menu, the search box, the bookmark bar, native window frame. It pins, stacks, and tiles tabs. It saves sessions. It accommodates hierarchical folders on the bookmark bar and in the speed dial. It allows you to display any bookmark folder as bookmark bar or speed dial. It take and saves notes with or without screenshots. Scales the interface. Has tab thumbs and popup thumbs. Programmable quick commands.

Some of these options can be pasted into other browsers with extensions, but no other browser already has, built-in, what Opera comes with. And it is only a fraction of the way to its maturity. Both tech writers and new users are excited about its current and future potential.

Of course you may feel it should not have released its first stable version until a year from now when it will have twice the options and a nearly-complete UI scheme. You're welcome to your opinion.

• What a stupid reaction to my post.

• What a stupid post. See? We can all have opinions. And your initial stupid opinion was "The current version is supposed to be a full release of a highly configurable browser…" which assumes a level of development that has never been promised at this stage. The browser is nowhere near complete, and most of the new users I see here seem to realize that for some reason...

• @pnmoslo:

What a stupid reaction to my post.

I think you need to have a serious look at your attitude and expectations. I thought it was a very polite and full explanation of what the development of this new browser entails. I'm sad for you that you were unwilling to entertain an appropriate response to what has now become obvious was just a meaningless whinge on your part.

• Did you actually read my post?

My point was "Perhaps this "lots of stuff still to come" should be made clearer, or the back-door configuration methods documented?" because people's (not my!) reaction might be "no pop-up management and no way to turn off password management? Forget it".

As I say, that was not my reaction – I dug around a bit and found ways to configure most of what I would regard as essential features, at the same time wondering if there was actually a bug or something missing in the menu system (see my original post). Your reply made it clear that this was stuff that was not implemented yet -- my thought was that a little information about this and a pointer to how to use the "backdoor" configuration methods might retain the interest of those who check out the browser and delete it immediately because it apparently lacks essential configuration options.

Think about this in the context of the pre-history here -- Opera killing its user base by moving from a highly configurable browser to a stripped down chrome-based version. Vivaldi is clearly in the same league as the old Opera if you give it a little time and effort, but the initial (incorrect) impression is that it is more like the later version (ie. with limited configuration options).

I'm afraid I found your reply an inapproprate rant which entirely missed the point.

• Perhaps you could explain how the suggestion that a little information about things to come might retain the interest of potential users put off by the apparent lack of configuration options is "meaningless whinge"?

The reply you refer to might well be a "very polite and full explanation of what the development of this new browser entails". But it entirely missed the point.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.