High hard disk activity by Vivaldi 1.0

• I have this problem for half a year now. It happens from time to time (speed-dial looses 90% of previews, 2 Vivaldi processes stay in background after the browser is closed, high hdd usage). And yeah, the problem can be "solved" with deleting both Top Sites from profile dir.

It is irritating, yes, but when you know what to do it becomes routine. Still have hope for official fix someday. Windows 7 user, btw.

• @Hunk:

I have this problem for half a year now. It happens from time to time (speed-dial looses 90% of previews, 2 Vivaldi processes stay in background after the browser is closed, high hdd usage). And yeah, the problem can be "solved" with deleting both Top Sites from profile dir.

It is irritating, yes, but when you know what to do it becomes routine. Still have hope for official fix someday. Windows 7 user, btw.

Yes I think deleting the top sites files is a quick fix instead of having to delete/restore the profile directory.

High disk activity seems to be a recurring issue and there are a few threads about it. The disk doesn't seem to be thrashing in my case since the total volume of writes is very low (~1 MB/s) but its writing constantly for seemingly no good reason and keeps the disk light on. And I have a feeling this issue may have something to do with my missing saved passwords issue that I raised earlier.

• @vbop:

this issue may have something to do with my missing saved passwords issue that I raised earlier.

I can confirm this, totally forgot that my saved password are vanished too when the problem happens. The saved password tab was empty, but top sites "fix" brought all passwords back. :huh:

• I remember coming across a post on this forum saying that it had something to do with Chromium and that Chrome also faced this problem but I can't seem to find that thread/post any more.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=176727
    A chromium case which is still open mentions high volume disk writes to the "session storage" directory which is different from Vivaldi's issue of slow (1MB/s) constant writing to "Top Sites". Maybe its Vivaldi's way of coping with the same Chromium bug.

• If this is the engine problem than nothing we can do, and vivaldi devs can't help us either 😞

• I was looking at the profile dir on Opera and found that the Top Sites* files were very small and didn't seemed to be touched after browsing for a while. I think Opera does things differently probably as a workaround for the Chromium bug.

• I've tried refreshing or cleaning my profile before, it didn't work. After awhile, the disk problem happens again and you need to delete "Top Sites" again.

There's another fix you can try, set the file permission for "Top sites" to read-only. I've tried this and it solves the disk-activity problem, but there's one catch though.

After setting "Top sites" file permission to read-only, every time you delete a bookmark entry, Vivaldi would crash and close abruptly. So I guess you have to pick your poison.

Since the devs can't fix this problem, can they just give us temporary solution? Maybe make Vivaldi automatically delete "Top Sites" file every 3 hours or something. It's annoying having to do this manually.

• @mady
    Yes I know about the readonly workaround.
    You could have a shutdown batch file that does some housekeeping including deleting Top Sites*.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.