1.0 x64 version critical bug

• After successfully update Vivaldi from Beta 3 to 1.0 the browser cannot start. Manual reinstall get exactly same thing. Its x64 version of Vivaldi on Win XP x64. 32bit version works. Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/72717/tmp-bug-x-Image1.jpg[/img]

• is the x64 version declared to be as stable as the "stable 32 variant" yet?

• I used Vivaldi x64 since Beta 1 and it works without crashes. So, what kind of improvement happened now??

And yes, its version 1.0, not beta, so it should be stable.

• Windows XP 64-bit !? Wow. I loved that OS, but does anyone test for it anymore? It's basically now part of "OS History" isn't it?

• @Rumble.Jesus:

Windows XP 64-bit !? Wow. I loved that OS, but does anyone test for it anymore? It's basically now part of "OS History" isn't it?

XP64 was likely the best OS made by MS.

But they seemed almost ashamed to advertise it. Likely because at the time Intel was lagging behind AMD, collecting mistakes in a row, and MS didn't want to upset the historical partner.

Did anyone try the Pos 2009 trick to get the updates until 2019?

Likely it doesn't work on x64, but I'm still curios.

• The 2009 POS trick works for the 32-bit version of XP not the Windows XP X64 version. Sure you can change it's registry, but the result is not sure fire as it is on a different code base (Server 2003's) and a different service pack it shares with the Server version (SP2).

Someone keeps a "post-mortem" list of updates for Windows XP x64 if you are interested:

http://wp.xin.at/xp-x64-post-mortem-updates

If I were advising a customer who wanted a general purpose workstation OS, especially if it is used out on the 'Net,I would have to suggest they run, if possible, Windows 7/8.x instead.

• The 2009 POS trick works for the 32-bit version of XP not the Windows XP X64 version

Too easy to guess, indeed, given POSready is 32bit only. But sometime the mechanisms inside of big companies aren't not that logical and an automated compiling procedure may had happened.

Sure you can change it's registry, but the result is not sure fire as it is on a different code base (Server 2003's)

Well that's more marketing BS from MS.

Windows is windows, then some settings changes the behavior of the OS, some additional and removed services and programs do the rest..

Google for ntswitch, it can change a desktop windows in to a server one (and viceversa) starting from NT4, with just a click of the mouse.

• Well, I don't pretend to know the inner workings. I did try the POS thing on a copy of XP x64. To know for sure one would have to take the time to catalogue and check and so on. I've read reports online where people have said it does not work adequately for them. There is one supposed work-a-round out there, but when looking at I couldn't make heads or tails of it, and apparently many others couldn't either. This website though seems to have done a rather extensive job cataloguing fixes. I suppose one could go with that.

I just wonder what's the point if one can switch to Windows 7 x64? XP has sort of gone by the wayside except in gov't offices and with people who don't bother; moreover, there were comparatively few XP x64 installs to begin with .. it was usually something would deliberately arrange?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.