Vivaldi Can't Find File

• Strange problem this one. My Norton system scanner has suddenly started reporting a strange problem with Vivaldi. It says that Vivaldi can't find the file vivaldi_elf.dll, and I might need to reinstall Vivaldi to fix this. Vivaldi is actually working fine as far as I can see. The vivaldi_elf.dll file is in the Program Files\Vivaldi\Application\1.0.435.26 folder. If I add this path to the Windows "path" environment variable, the problem goes away, but I've never had to do that before, so why should I now? Apart from anything else, I will have to modify that for every subsequent Vivaldi version! I've had Vivaldi installed for ages, and this problem has never come up before. Any ideas why it suddenly would do now? Windows XP SP3. :)

Sorry to hear that Norton interferes Vivaldi's start process.
    Really strange. I could not find any issue in Vivaldi bugtracker about this. Our Vivaldi testers and other users should have reported such issues.
    I think Norton has some wrong assumption how Vivaldi should work and a "security" feature may cause this.

You don't need to change/add a Windows path setting for Vivaldi. The vivaldi.exe looks itself into the correct folder.
    Is this a 64 or 32bit Vivaldi?

Please try this: Uninstall Vivaldi, you will not loose your settings. Then look into the Vivaldi program folder if there are some files left and delete them. Reinstall Vivaldi Snapshot.

• You could also try installing vivaldi as a standalone (portable) version…
    Just open the installer, click "Advanced" and under the option "Install for all users" click "standalone" and then click install....
    The standalone version is different from the installed version that all the folders and files (including the profile, default data, extensions, etc.) are placed in the same folder as the program files, and no registry values are created....
    This might just fix the problem....
    Hope that helped~ :)

• Thanks guys!
    Actually my installation of Vivaldi is a standalone installation, and always has been!
    I did move it to a different folder a while ago, but I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it to do that, so I can't imagine that would have caused the problem. In fact I'm sure the problem didn't appear until some time after I moved it.
    Just to clarify, I'm talking about a (very) old version of Norton WinDoctor here, not a recent Norton 360 or anything like that!
    It has always still worked fine to flag up things like path errors and invalid shortcuts, and now thinking about it a bit more, I seem to remember this problem coming up before, long before the days of Vivaldi, and IIRC it was with Chrome. WinDoctor flagged that Chrome couldn't find chrome_elf.dll. The problem did go away, but I can't for the life of me remember how i fixed it, if indeed I did! It may have just gone away of its own accord, as these things sometimes do.
    :)

• I would strongly suggest you get a more recent antivirus such as Norton Internet Security or Antivirus Internet Security (the latest versions) because viruses, adware, spyware, etc. are always becoming stronger and more dangerous, so you need the latest security to combat them…. ;)

• Thanks, but I do use Trend Internet Security as my anti-virus and anti-malware program, which is up to date.
    Norton WinDoctor was in fact part of Norton Utilities, which was not an anti-virus program. It was a suite of maintenance and recovery tools. In fact the version I have (2002!) was the last one where it wasn't bundled with Norton Anti-Virus as Norton Systemworks, and you could no longer buy them separately.

Also, I've now found that the file error also goes away if I put a copy of vivaldi_elf.dll into the Program Files\Vivaldi\Application folder, where vivaldi.exe is.
    So, it looks as if everything is happy if the two files are in the same folder, but not if they aren't.
    One thing I have noticed, although it may not be relevant, is that when Vivaldi is updated, the previous version folder in the Applications folder remains there, but is empty.
    I thought Chromium-based browsers always kept the previous version on updates (Chrome and Opera seem to) but maybe this doesn't happen with standalone installations?

Your out-of-date Norton Windoctor has a bug. And thats why it warns you about not finding file for Vivaldi.

• Yes, I think you're probably right, it is a false positive.
    As I said, this has happened before with Chrome, and it eventually went away, so hopefully it will this time too!
    Was I correct about standalone versions not keeping the previous version after updates BTW?

• Yes, standalone versions overwrite into the previous version folder in order to keep all your settings/configurations/etc., that's probably why it's empty….
    (At least for other standalone programs it does, I'm not sure with vivaldi because I've never installed standalone vivaldi before.... :lol:)

• Thanks, that sort of makes sense, but surely your settings/configurations etc. are in the Vivaldi\User Data folder, which isn't touched on an update.
    It was the contents of the Vivaldi\Application folder I was querying, where there is a folder named with the version number.
    When my version updates, the new version goes into a new folder with the new version number as its name, as expected.
    Chrome and Opera keep the previous version's folder intact with all the previous versions files still in it, and delete the folder for the version before that.
    Vivaldi seems to keep the previous version's folder, but empties it, which I can't see the point of.
    Does that happen with standard (non-standalone) versions too?

• Yes, you're right, the data folder is not touched; only the application files are updated…
    The data folder includes your profile and stuff like that...
    And that's the thing, the installer copies the new version files into the application folder, overwriting any existing data...
    That way, vivaldi will update to the latest version without losing its settings/configuration/etc....
    As for emptying a previous version folder but not removing it, it is probably because although the installer can empty folders during installation, it cannot delete folders (as with the built-in microsoft uninstaller; if you uninstall any programs (e.g. chrome, firefox, etc.) with the built-in windows uninstaller, it will empty folders and delete files but will not delete empty folders, registry values, etc.) (in order to fully delete such programs, I suggest you use a professional uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller Pro or Wise Program Uninstaller or other programs like that.... :))
    That is probably the case with the vivaldi installer; it can empty folders but can't delete them....
    I know I kinda strayed from the main point, but I hope you understood what I meant.... :lol:
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask...

Hope this helped~ ;)

• Thanks, it isn't a problem as I can just manually remove the empty folder from the previous version.
    I was only puzzled that Vivaldi doesn't seem to do the same on updates as other Chromium-based browsers like Google Chrome and Opera seem to do.

• Not surprising, as the vivaldi developers probably edited huge chunks of the chromium source code…. :lol:
    I mean, vivaldi is so much like chrome (same open source chromium), and yet so different at the same time; do you know what I mean? ;)

• Indeed I do, and a good thing too!
    :cheer:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.