Auto update is broken.. add link to manual update

• Hello, I'm 3 days trying the auto update my Vivaldi (1.0.425.3 to 1.0.429.5), it always finish with an error: [img]http://i.imgur.com/AxVkKc0.png[/img] Then my suggestion is to add a link in this popup to redirect to manual download update page. Cya edit: after to clean some Windows temp files it worked. [img]http://i.imgur.com/Fjsn2Ee.png[/img] Suggestion still valid though.

• Auto update has been broke for a long time for me, the only way I can download it is through another browser. That is why I prefer doing downloads and I think this is a great suggestion.

• On Windows 8.1 I know this error for a long time, too. On Windows 10 it was there but is gone for the last several updates. My way to update Vivaldi on Windows 8.1 though is very simple. I just push 'Cancel' on the above mentioned error message, close Vivaldi and reopens it at once. The update request is coming up automatically again and always the second time it is working. The download doesn't start over at the beginning but continues where it stopped before. These three additional clicks aren't fun but I prefer them to any kind of manual update process.

As nearly as I can tell, it's not the update process that is broken at all (though it does seem to have a hard time-out that is set for too short an interval). Instead, what's problematic is access to the servers via Cloutflare. In fact access via Cloudflare to any and all Vivaldi pages is too slow. If I were Vivaldi, and if this is the best Cloudflare can do in terms of traffic to and from my customers, I would find a new provider. Because as it is now, it purely and definitely sux.

• @alexredmonjr:

Auto update has been broke for a long time for me, the only way I can download it is through another browser. That is why I prefer doing downloads and I think this is a great suggestion.

Why not use Vivaldi menu "Help/Check for Updates" ?
    This worked for me.

• @TbGbe:

@alexredmonjr:

Auto update has been broke for a long time for me, the only way I can download it is through another browser. That is why I prefer doing downloads and I think this is a great suggestion.

Why not use Vivaldi menu "Help/Check for Updates" ?
    This worked for me.

Unfortunately, that is exactly what I do, but in 5 of the last 6 updates, the download err'd out around the 23-32 MB point as in the OP's original comment. The problem, I believe, is just as @Ayespy described: a Cloudflare server times out and interrupts the download process which errs the update. If one immediately re-attempts the manual update, it picks up exactly where it err'd and rapidly completes. I've been tempted to put a stopwatch on it instead of just noting the DL-size at the error point, because my instinct is that it is a DL-rate/time-out/loading server issue, not mainly a file-size issue… but there's not much point in analyzing it further, since there's little I can do about it.

The OP's suggestion has great merit (putting a re-update option in the error pop-up) in helping we afflicted users to more readily re-initiate (actually, to complete) the DL/update process. But unfortunately, it's hard to see the devs devoting much quality time to such a peculiar issue caused by something residing outside of the browser.

• If it errors out, do it again. It will resume from the error and not retransfer the entire thing.

• Sounds like I've been lucky as I've "only" had Autoupdate fail two or three times.
    Then I used Help/Check for updates, it has always continued from where the auto failed, going on until completion.

I was puzzled by alexredmonjr's comment that he had to use another browser.
    I agree a link on the error message would be more obvious, but using the Help menu is a simple/straight forward workaround until then.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.