Bookmarks Sorting

• I'm sure this has been asked about before, but please, please can we have a proper sorted bookmarks list dropdown in the main toolbar, like Opera 12, Firefox, and Otter have? You can replicate something similar on the bookmarks bar, but the lists aren't sorted and can't be, the bookmarks appear in a seemingly random order, which is useless! :)

The sorting bar at the top of the bookmarks panel works fine for me. Doesn't work for you?

Edit: Interesting. Sorting works everywhere but the bookmarks bar. It used to be you could drag you could drag to sort in folders on the bookmarks bar, and you no longer can. That has to be fixed.

Edit2: Oh, wow! If you set the bookmarks panel to sort "Sort Manually," use it to sort bookmarks on folders on the bookmarks bar and then close it, then any sorting you have done of content from folders on the bookmarks bar will appear in those folders. Hmmmm…

• Yes, that works for me too, but it's not what I meant.
    I have a folder in the bookmarks bar which contains all my bookmarks with their folder structure.
    I have exactly the same on Opera 36, which pretty well replicates the dropdown menu on the toolbar of Opera 12.
    The difference is that in Opera I can sort those bookmarks by right clicking on a folder and selecting "sort alphabetically".
    That option doesn't exist in Vivaldi, and despite the bookmarks being sorted when they were imported, and still being sorted if you look at them in the bookmarks manager, on the bookmarks bar dropdown they are in a seemingly random order that can't be changed.
    :(
    I see you added to your post while I was writing this BTW!

@Dave-H:

Yes, that works for me too, but it's not what I meant.
    I have a folder in the bookmarks bar which contains all my bookmarks with their folder structure.
    I have exactly the same on Opera 36, which pretty well replicates the dropdown menu on the toolbar of Opera 12.
    The difference is that in Opera I can sort those bookmarks by right clicking on a folder and selecting "sort alphabetically".
    That option doesn't exist in Vivaldi, and despite the bookmarks being sorted when they were imported, and being sorted if you look at them in the bookmarks manager, on the bookmarks bar dropdown they are in a seemingly random order that can't be changed.
    :(

Turns out you CAN sort those, though, by setting the bookmarks panel to "Sort Manually," sort them there, and then close that bar. When you open the folder on the bookmarks bar after that, your sort from the panel will have been preserved. Weird.

• Well that's good to know, but I'm not spending hours manually alphabetically sorting several thousand bookmarks!
    :lol:
    I suspect this is a symptom of the sorting actually only sorting the display, not sorting the actual bookmarks database.
    The display is fine when viewed in the bookmarks manager, but the sorting vanishes if the bookmarks are displayed anywhere else.
    What's needed is a proper fixed bookmarks dropdown in the main toolbar, which follows the bookmarks manager display.
    :)

Agreed. Here is something equally weird. I have my speed dial content displayed on my bookmarks bar. They are the same folder. If I open speed dial and sort folder content there, it also sorts it on the bookmarks bar.

Whu?

I think it is intentional that the bookmarks bar is not responsive to global sort changes, because one always wants the bar in the order one wants it. A solution would be to make sorting possible within the contents of a single folder as opposed to global. This would also solve the problem that the Trash folder appears in sort order rather than always at the end of the root folder.

• Well the latest snapshot has improved things a lot, you can now sort the contents of the bookmarks bar, which includes my bookmarks tree! :cheer:
    Of course I don't actually want the single entries that are permanently visible on the bar in alphabetical order, but unfortunately going back to manual is the only way of ordering them the way I want them, and that puts my bookmarks tree back out of order! :(
    Still, it's getting there!
    :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.