E-mail Clients

• I know that in 2016 most people don't use a client or if they do it's a mobile app but I have collected too many E-mail addresses over the years (nevermind having separate ones for school, work and a convention I staff which were not my choice). Opera Mail is not being totally satisfactory anymore in that it's been... rather sluggish and it does not seem to preform well with a lot of different accounts. Any suggestions? I'm on windows 7 which for an E-mail client should be more than enough info.

Thunderbird is better now than it once was.

And MailBird is worth looking at.

• @Ayespy:

Thunderbird is better now than it once was.

And MailBird is worth looking at.

Thanks, came here to ask what the Vivaldi of email clients was and it looks like MailBird could be it. Downloading it now!

• I use Outlook 2016. I hate the cluttered interface, and the learning curve is excessive, but of the numerous clients I have tested it is the only one that is robust and nimble enough for my needs.

Ideally, I would probably use Emacs to handle e-mail, as I did some years ago, but I'm no longer smart enough to figure out how :lol:

Here's hoping that Vivaldi's built-in client will make me forget all about both Outlook and Gnus ;)

• The obvious answer is Opera Mail, still better than anything else.

PostBox isn't that bad

But another option is to use Windows Mail (the one shipped with Vista), not Windows Live mail to be clear,

It still works perfectly even on W10 anniversary edition.

• Was looking for the appropriate subforum to post this and luckily I found this thread which seem like the perfect place.

Yesterday I found a really promising open source mail client based on electron called Nylas N1. In fact I was so impressed that I have set up all my accounts and have been using it exclusively since and it seems as it might finally replace Opera Mail for me.

Project homepage can be found here

• Maybe the program is good but all that Appleish white and the mac like screenshots are pretty scaring. :evil:

• :silly:

• N1 setup is 95MB O_o

i think there is a whole post office inside it :D

• @The_Solutor:

N1 setup is 95MB O_o

i think there is a whole post office inside it :D

That's to be expected since it bundles dependencies from the electron framework. I believe all electron based programs are relatively large in size. Anyway, I don't think this is a problem as long as the program operates smoothly. Are you running out of space? B)

• @mtaki14:

Are you running out of space? B)

Space is like money, is never enough. ;)

Anyway I downloaded it out of curiosity, but I stopped during when the initial setup started to talk about placing my email on a (not well defined cloud service).

Seem pretty stupid to me to download the email from a server just to place it on another remote server. :blink:

• To The_Solutor –> i thought i'd check out this product a couple of months ago but abandoned it for exactly the same reason as you. I want my data local, not cloud-based.

• @The_Solutor:

Seem pretty stupid to me to download the email from a server just to place it on another remote server. :blink:

Actually there are practical benefits from doing so from what I could gather. The cloud sync engine is able to abstract away IMAP, POP, and SMTP and serve your email through a nimble RESTful API. Additionally the sync engine "translates a traditional document-based data structure (mailboxes via IMAP) into a stateless, streaming transactional data structure. That allows N1 to be faster and more efficient by only loading about 2% of the total data in your mailbox." (as described on their website.)

Apart from the performance benefits this also allows for a bunch of other nifty features.

1. "Snoozing" emails, which basically postpones a received email until later and you can set when to receive that email again.

2. Delayed send emails. Write an email and set when that email should be actually send. It is send through the cloud so you don't have to worry about internet access, having the client open etc.

3. Integrated mail tracking. Know when your sent email has been read.

4. I read they are planning to add more collaboration tools in the future.

Pretty sure there are more stuff but I'm not done exploring myself yet.

The cloud sync backend they are using is open sourced so technically you could run your own server if you wanted to (and reap the same benefits as above). No need to user their servers.

More comprehensive answers in the links below, which I found when I was searching for answers/ reasons myself. So feel free to have a look as well:

Why does Nylas N1 sync email via the cloud?

Insight into how the cloud syncing works

Running the sync engine on your own server

Discussion on gihub involving users/developers in regards to privacy

Deleting your data from the cloud

Information about the company's business plan

• Made some edits for clarity and added a couple of more resources.

• Seems like a really solid client from my testing so far. Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.