Adobe flash player is out of date

• I keep getting this message when trying to play videos. By right-clicking the mouse It allows me to "use this plugin anyway" I do have the latest Adobe flash player installed, so that can not be the problem. Besides, this happens only in Vivaldi. Any advice on how to fix this?

• Hi, may you have conflicts with the integrated Flash plugin from Vivaldi/Chrome.
    Look in Tools > Plugins if you have two Flash plugins installed.
    More information here.

Cheers, mib

• Thanks for the tip. Indeed, I had two versions of AFP installed, 17 and 19. I uninstalled the older one, now we shall see if it behaves.

• OK, still wondering. I have Adobe Flash Player - Version: 20.0.0.306 in Vivaldi snapshot 1.0.403.20.

Cheers, mib

• I can't get embedded Flash videos to play, I only get a black box with 0:0.

• Hi One, could you post a link to page with embedded video?

Cheers, mib

• Actually, it was not enough to take down the older plugin. I kept getting the message. Then I downloaded the latest version of AFP (20.0.0.286) from the Archives, installed it and disabled the plugin in Vivaldi. After that I can play all videos.
    Thanks for the attention to my problem.

• I currently have Adobe Flash 18.0.0.333 installed, which is the most current revision of the ESR (Extended Support Release) branch.

Vivaldi thinks, this version is outdated, but it actually isn't.

• @jtsn:

I currently have Adobe Flash 18.0.0.333 installed, which is the most current revision of the ESR (Extended Support Release) branch.

Vivaldi thinks, this version is outdated, but it actually isn't.

Where are you seeing this information from VIVALDI?
    I thought the "outdated" message was always generated by a website?

• @TbGbe:

Where are you seeing this information from VIVALDI?
    I thought the "outdated" message was always generated by a website?

The message appears on the plugin container itself (disabling click to play) and on Vivaldi's "Plugins" page.

A Extended Support Release (ESR) for a Windows Flash Player? I dont know such one.

You should uninstall such insecure old one!
    Current versions are 21.0.0.197!
    Vivaldi uses Flash Player for Chrome PPAPI. Download it from https://get.adobe.com/de/flashplayer/otherversions/

• Here, the latest flash vivaldi uses are:

Versione: 21,0,0,182
    Percorso: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF64_21_0_0_182.dll
    Tipo: NPAPI
    (usually I keep disabled, as the newer PP flash seems to works well in most cases)

and:

Versione: 20.0.0.306
    Percorso: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.87\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
    Tipo: PPAPI (out-of-process)
    (I'll update to newer version, as said in post above ^^)

• @Gwen-Dragon:

A Extended Support Release (ESR) for a Windows Flash Player? I dont know such one.

You should uninstall such insecure old one!

The ESR Flash Player is not insecure:

_Extended Support Release - Flash Player 18.0.0.333 (Win & Mac)

What is the Extended Support Release?

Adobe makes available a version of Flash Player called the "Extended Support Release" (ESR) to organizations that prefer Flash Player stability over new functionality. We have created a branch of the Flash Player code that we keep up to date with all of the latest security updates, but none of the new features or bug fixes available in our current release branch. This allows organizations to ceritify and stay secure on Flash Player with minimal effort._

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

• This may be completely wrong, but the ESR distribution page for installers does NOT mention the PPAPI version used by Chrome/Opera/Vivaldi
    (although, I'm not sure what's in the Background Resources).
    I suspect, if this is correct, that the message you are seeing may be due to you trying to use the NPAPI version which is "deprecated by Chrome Engine".

• @TbGbe:

I suspect, if this is correct, that the message you are seeing may be due to you trying to use the NPAPI version which is "deprecated by Chrome Engine".

This is not me trying to use NPAPI, it's Vivaldi. ;)

• @jtsn:

@TbGbe:

This is not me trying to use NPAPI, it's Vivaldi. ;)

The relevant point is that Vivaldi will no longer (because of official NPAPI deprecation in the underlying chromium engine) successfully use any NPAPI-type plug-in, though it does still recognize their installed presence on a system and lists them among the plug-ins. PPAPI plug-ins have been deemed by chromium as more secure to a browser than NPAPI plug-ins which interact more deeply with internal browser code and hence represent a greater malware attack threat to the browser itself. Unless you install the PPAPI version of Flash, Vivaldi will be unable to utilize Flash at a website.

On my system, I have both NPAPI Flash installed (for Firefox) and PPAPI Flash installed for Vivaldi… Vivaldi recognizes and lists both types of Flash in its plug-in list, but it will only function correctly at Flash-equipped sites with the PPAPI version enabled. So, in that regard, if you haven't installed PPAPI Flash on your system, don't blame Vivaldi.

• @Blackbird:

The relevant point is that Vivaldi will no longer (because of official NPAPI deprecation in the underlying chromium engine) successfully use any NPAPI-type plug-in, though it does still recognize their installed presence on a system and lists them among the plug-ins.

These are the three options:

1. Use the NPAPI plugin (Vivaldi can still do that, that is why it detects those plugins).
    2. Simply ignore the NPAPI plugin, tell web pages that no Flash plugin is available (most revert to HTML5 video then).
    3. Display a useless box "Adobe flash player is out of date"

Vivaldi currently does No. 3 and that is the least useful option. And the message is not even correct, if the ESR plugin is installed.

To fix this issue, the browser should do either 1 or 2 when no PPAPI Flash player is available.

• @jtsn:

… These are the three options:

1. Use the NPAPI plugin (Vivaldi can still do that, that is why it detects those plugins).
    2. Simply ignore the NPAPI plugin, tell web pages that no Flash plugin is available (most revert to HTML5 video then).
    3. Display a useless box "Adobe flash player is out of date"

Vivaldi currently does No. 3 and that is the least useful option. And the message is not even correct, if the ESR plugin is installed.

To fix this issue, the browser should do either 1 or 2 when no PPAPI Flash player is available.

There is a fourth option, which I believe Vivaldi should actually do:
    4. Do not list NPAPI plugins (since Vivaldi and its underlying chromium/Blink engine no longer use them) and display an "Adobe Flash player not installed" message box.

As to why this is not done, I can't comment - I'm not a Vivaldi developer. But what I do know is that since a while now, chromium engines have not supported NPAPI plug-ins - period. The fact that Vivaldi recognizes and lists an NPAPI Flash player plug-in does not therefore mean it's able to use it, since its rendering engine can't use it. Whether or not the listing of a non-usable plug-in is an artifact behavior from chromium as it has thus far evolved or a no-longer-used workaround vestige from Vivaldi's added browser layers, I don't know. My best guess is that much of this simply involves a 'rough edge' where developers haven't yet added the necessary polish to make everything clearer.

• @Blackbird:

4. Do not list NPAPI plugins (since Vivaldi and its underlying chromium/Blink engine no longer use them) and display an "Adobe Flash player not installed" message box.

:evil: That's actually the same jtsn's Option 2 :evil:

No need to tell USER that Flash Player is not installed, if it's not displayed in the list of plug-ins :whistle:

• @TbGbe:

@Blackbird:

:evil: That's actually the same jtsn's Option 2 :evil: No need to tell USER that Flash Player is not installed, if it's not displayed in the list of plug-ins :whistle:

We could quibble, since @jtsn's "ignoring" a plug-in is not necessarily the same as my "not listing" it… but I think maybe we all mean the same thing in the end. ;)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.