"Confirm To Exit Browser" Option needed!

• Hi, The title says it all. I feel this is an integral option for any browser. There have been times when I have accidentally closed Vivaldi with many tabs open. There should be a "Ask to confirm browser exit" option in the Settings in my opinion. Thanks for your work, Vivaldi team! :)

• Better to have a "Confirm to open Browser" option. :silly:

Are you sure that you know how to use a mouse and keyboard?

• You can retrieve the closed tabs from Vivaldi's history (ctrl + h).
    Otherwise consider using the startup option " startup with Last Session ".
    That way your tabs will be still there once you close the browser.

But yes, maybe they could put a dialog when you have unfinished downloads like they did in Chropera some time ago

• @GinoPerla:

Maybe they could put a dialog when you have unfinished downloads like they did in Chropera some time ago

That's a sensible reason to give a warning, as it's easy to forget that you have unfinished downloads, but to close the browser by accident is not something that happens often enough to justify two clicks in two different places if you do want to close it.

I am not trolling — maybe teasing, or being sarcastic, but this is really a pointless option for people who are careless. Most programs have a warning to save unsaved work on closing them, but a browser doesn't usually have any work that needs to be saved. It is easy enough to reopen closed tabs on the rare occasion that you do erroneously close it in haste. There are also sessions, and restore last session.

• @Pesala:

(…) but to close the browser by accident is not something that happens often enough to justify two clicks in two different places if you do want to close it. (...)

As I stated in the original thread message, I'm not saying the warning dialog should be on by default, I am asking for it as an option in the settings to be able to set it on.

I can't imagine it'd a big feature to add? It is essential in my opinion. Why not add a small feature that is so prevalent and useful? ;)

Like this:
    "Confirm to exit Vivaldi" "Enable/Disable button"

• @TyrMan:

It is essential in my opinion.

It's certainly not essential. The option merely encourages bad habits, and cultivates an inefficient workflow.

A lot of programs have an option to autosave work every 15 minutes (or whatever). The efficient workflow is to save your work whenever necessary, whether that's after 1 minute or 30 minutes. If you have not changed anything, it is clearly pointless to have autosave kick in every 15 minutes and interrupt other programs. Turn the option off, and learn to save your work.

Likewise, if you're afraid of losing a browser session with lots of open tabs, learn to save the session. Then, if you do goof up, you can easily reload the session. Or, simply set the Restore last session option.

Some may say, “What harm is there in an option that anyone can disable if they don't like it?” The harm is that it encourages users to be careless and not backup their work properly. Instead of being able to close the browser when they want to with just one click or one shortcut, they now have to click on OK or have a dialogue appear that they really do not need.

[attachment=2957]…era.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• That's a lot of assumptions there Pesala. Its about CONVENIENCE and SECURITY because ACCIDENTS happen. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/accident?s=t

_"it encourages users to be careless and not backup their work properly"
    _Who the hell are you to say what encourages and doesn't "people to be careless"? I'm talking about a TINY addition to the browser to make it better.

Get it though your head that this would be an OPTION in the Settings, not forced.

Screw you, go be an elitist (about a damn web browser) elsewhere.

• I think it could be added, so long as there is an option to disable it; that way it doesn't pop up every time I try to close the browser….and annoy me to death..... :lol:

• @TyrMan:

Get it though your head that this would be an OPTION in the Settings, not forced.

I already understood that very well. Apparently, you were careless when reading my post.

People like you and RRR13, who obviously don't know how to control either their emotions or their keyboards, need to be coerced into cultivating good habits. Accidentally closing your browser due to being careless is a good way to learn how to be more careful in future. I long since learnt to copy long, detailed posts to the clipboard, or even to notepad if they're very long. You never know when Murphy's Law is going to strike next.

I really don't care if you like my opinion or not. The browser should be designed for the benefit of everyone, not just for those who are impatient and careless. Quit blaming the tools for your own mistakes.

• @TyrMan:

Hi,
    There should be a "Ask to confirm browser exit" option in the Settings in my opinion.

If the option was "Do Not Ask to confirm on browser exit" which was activated by default; would everyone be happy?

The default action is then to close immediately as now.
    However, if you need the failsafe, you can search and Deactivate the option :whistle:

Former Opera 12 developers and others, now at Vivaldi, know what users want and like to have in Vivaldi. And the team and Jon respects such wishes from users. They will be implemented if there is enough time and other important bugs are fixed for the Final.

The issue is already known in bugtracker as a feature wish VB-3555 "Confirm on exit".
    I think in/after first Final that may be implemented.

• @Gwen-Dragon:

(…)
    The issue is already known in bugtracker as a feature wish VB-3555 "Confirm on exit".
    I think in/after first Final that may be implemented.

Hopefully. :)

• A "Confirm To Exit Browser" Option is ABSOLUTELY needed!

I also agree completely with RRR13 –-- it is inappropriate --- not to mention downright RUDE --- to respond to a comment with which you disagree by insulting the contributor.

• Either way would be fine. But the option should definitely be available.

• @Infti:

A "Confirm To Exit Browser" Option is ABSOLUTELY needed!

I also agree completely with RRR13 –-- it is inappropriate --- not to mention downright RUDE --- to respond to a comment with which you disagree by insulting the contributor.

Shouting is rude, and no, this is not needed, let alone essential or absolutely needed. An option is clearly wanted by some users. Sorry if you find my opinion rude, but I have every right to express it. The option is a waste of time and only encourages bad browsing habits: 1) opening far more tabs than are actually needed, 2) clicking without thinking what you're doing (very dangerous on some web sites).

Session management certainly needs some work to improve management of tabs. If downloads are running, a warning would be appropriate, just like any good application will warn about unsaved work.

You really need to learn the difference between the meaning of want and need. Demanding things is rude.

• @Pesala:

Shouting is rude, and no, this is not needed, let alone essential or absolutely needed. An option is clearly wanted by some users. Sorry if you find my opinion rude, but I have every right to express it. The option is a waste of time and only encourages bad browsing habits: 1) opening far more tabs than are actually needed, 2) clicking without thinking what you're doing (very dangerous on some web sites).

Session management certainly needs some work to improve management of tabs. If downloads are running, a warning would be appropriate, just like any good application will warn about unsaved work.

You really need to learn the difference between the meaning of want and need. Demanding things is rude.

rarely closing by accident happens to me, but truth is, humans fail and therefor everything created by humans also fail, because they share the same defcts. so this is a needed feature, you can't argue with that, just because it's not useful for you or you never had problems, DON'T generalize, you is you, me is me, he is he. they don't mix. having this feature is useful because (a) downloads will cancel and (b) imagine you have those 2 sites opened that are required to do your work. now you need to search the internet for some information to put there. those 2 required sites will go down and down on the history and if you close - willingly or by accident - the browser, how will you find those sites without knowing their names or doamins? that's why close confirmation is used on most browsers, actually vivaldi is the only one that does not has this option. if it was as useless as you say, google chrome would not have this (specially chrome, google only makes smart moves, google does not implements things without being sure they are accepted and useful to users), firefox would not have this and all the other popular browsers.

• @Forever_Alone:

Rarely closing by accident happens to me, but truth is, humans fail and therefor everything created by humans also fail, because they share the same defects. so this is a needed feature

I quoted your post, did some editing, and closed the browser. Your edited quote is still there on reopening. Closed tabs are still in the Trash Can. So, no this is not a needed feature, or essential. It is just one that is wanted by some users.

Warning when downloads in progress is a valid reason, as large downloads on slow connections take a long time so users can forget that they are in progress even if they are not careless, but a Resume feature would fix that problem.

Yes. I also sometimes close the browser by accident, which teaches me to be more careful in future. A dialogue pestering users every time they close the browser does not teach them to be more careful. After a while, they close that dialogue without thinking, then they are back to square one.

• "I also sometimes close the browser by accident, which teaches me to be more careful in future."

We are suggesting this as an option for those who want it. If you don't like it, you can set you system to not have it. If you prefer to lose important information as a way to "learn your lesson", that choice will be continue to be available to you.

"A dialogue pestering users every time they close the browser does not teach them to be more careful."

Some of us don't want to learn your way (the hard way). Not everyone will select the options YOU prefer. That's why they are called "preferences".

• @Infti:

If you prefer to lose important information as a way to "learn your lesson", that choice will continue to be available to you.

I don't lose any important information as I pointed out above. I have to wait five or six seconds to relaunch the browser, that's all. The recently closed tabs are still in the trash can, and forum replies are still in the edit box. If a set of tabs is really important to me, I will save it as a session. If a web page found in a search is important, I will bookmark it.

If you're filling in an online form, there's plenty of ways to lose "important information" other than by closing the browser. Refresh the page, go back, or close the tab. Do you need a dialogue to be shown when you do any of those actions?

This argument could (and possibly will) go on forever, so I am locking the topic now.

It's understood that some users would like a warning dialog before closing the browser. Other users are irritated by the very idea. Vivaldi prioritizes, or decides whether or not to implement, features based on two things: 1) how many user requests for the feature are received and 1) how practical it is to include the code in the browser. Every user has the opportunity to make a feature request via the bug report page, and I recommend that anyone who desires this feature, file such a request. It will formally come to the attention of the developers in this way.

The primary initial target public of Vivaldi is advanced users, particularly those who were left "homeless" when Opera abandoned Presto and its infinite flexibility in browser development. There are literally hundreds of old Opera features that such users miss, a "confirm to exit" option not being one of these. My own personal preference (irrelevant to whether the option will or will not appear), as an advanced user who uses a browser to perform gainful work all day and night every day, is to not be confronted with the necessity to turn off what I personally considered (when browsers first introduced it) to be an irritating and insulting option. I realize other users have the opposite view. It's entirely possible that Vivaldi will include such an option in future, if enough users request it, and it is also possible that even if such an option is included, it will float to the top of the "to do" stack when the hundreds of features "Olde Opera" fans desire have either been included or eliminated as impractical.

Please make your feature requests where they will have the greatest impact, and stay tuned. Class dismissed.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.