Open in new tab not loading until viewed

• I'm unsure if this is intended functionality, but when opening a link in a new tab, that tab will not fully load until it is viewed. This is obviously bad in instances like opening a Youtube video in the background to listen to, among the many others. Also, due to this functionality, there is a moment of the page being displayed as completely white, which is jarring and annoying (and the only reason I've stopped using Chrome). Are either of these problems able to be worked around with settings or startup flags?

• @Crysto:

I'm unsure if this is intended functionality, but when opening a link in a new tab, that tab will not fully load until it is viewed.

It is intended. You can take a look at this thread. Before this feature was introduced users were complaining about slow starting of Vivaldi when they had many tabs and all were loaded at once.

• Just glancing through that thread it looks to be a polarising feature (and I know which camp I belong to), have any developers commented on whether this will be added as an option? It seems as though the slow startup issue isn't present in Firefox or Chrome, yet in both cases I can background load a Youtube video.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.