Pathetic Prudery

• I just wanted to publish my first post and was stopped with this: [quote]The blog post contains prohibited words. Please remove the word [b]fuck[/b] from your content.[/quote] Honestly, what the fuck? Can I turn this off somewhere? We aren’t in US, are we? :)

• You can always use these characters:
    с і о
    instead of these:
    c i o

I haven't seen a swear word remover so far that removes words with replaced characters :D

• Personally, I don't have a problem with swearing amongst male adults. You ought to hear me at work!!

This is a public forum where women and kids can participate.

Do we really need kids growing up telling us to F off and thinking its perfectly acceptable?

That's just my take on it. You can tell me to F off … LOL

• @rusty-nails:

Personally, I don't have a problem with swearing amongst male adults. You ought to hear me at work!!

This is a public forum where women and kids can participate.

Do we really need kids growing up telling us to F off and thinking its perfectly acceptable?

That's just my take on it. You can tell me to F off … LOL

I don't see the "need" for the use of words that "are" generally considered vulgar. I don't see it as a form of prudery, however, it does seem unnecessary. And I completely agree that the use of words of this nature are not something I would want my children and theirs to see. I know that my wife would be offended by their use and she is definitely not a prude. ;)

PS: I reside in the US and I know many other members here are from the United States. The implication that prudery is a hallmark of the United States IS far more offensive to me than the use of certain words.

• @James:

PS: I reside in the US and I know many other members here are from the United States. The implication that prudery is a hallmark of the United States IS far more offensive to me than the use of certain words.

Yeah, it's just naive, man. We're still one of the most diverse populations on this planet.

[attachment=7]nuns.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• I don't see the "need" for the use of words that "are" generally considered vulgar.

Then don’t use these words. When I need them, I don’t want to be censored. It was a necessary stylistic element in my text.

We can not and we should not censor every text kids can see.

The implication that prudery is a hallmark of the United States IS far more offensive to me than the use of certain words.

It is what I see: US American institutions and organizations are often faster censoring language (Apple anyone?), and the people there agree far more often with that than in other parts of the world. I didn’t say or mean that everyone there fits into this pattern. :)

My request is simple: It should be up to the authors to decide what words they use. And the filter discriminates authors of English texts, because that’s the only languages where it works. If it were extended to all languages it would produce many false positives.

• You don't have kids do you?

• @rusty-nails:

You don't have kids do you?

:lol: You beat me to the punch on that one. I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad my kids were raised with a bit of censoring (yeah.. maybe even sheltering) on our part. Today they have families of their own, they're all doing well and they're raising their kids in a similar fashion. I think that saying one "needs" to use these words is a bit of a stretch. Surely we're not that word impoverished that we can't find less provocative words to more or less say the same thing…eh?

• I have two nieces and a nephew, and they learned all swear words in kindergarten. :) Their parents talk with them and explain why which word should not be used.

But that’s not the point of my request. Circumventing the filter is so simple, even a child can do it. It doesn’t protect anyone, and it doesn’t stop anyone using certain words. This is why I call it pathetic.

• … in the end I can swear in my native language or one of the other languages I have learned - additional benefit: They are more colorful than those poor sexual oriented 4 letter words that usually get banned :woohoo:

• Vivaldi Team

@toscho:

I have two nieces and a nephew, and they learned all swear words in kindergarten. :) Their parents talk with them and explain why which word should not be used.

But that’s not the point of my request. Circumventing the filter is so simple, even a child can do it. It doesn’t protect anyone, and it doesn’t stop anyone using certain words. This is why I call it pathetic.

Every day people write and say billions of similar words. But what will happen if even half of them will not use these words? :)
    And what will happen if all people will stop using these words? Maybe, kids that read and listen us will not use it too? :)

Purity not there where good cleaning, but where don't litter.

• @Shpankov:

I really enjoy Russian phrases. :) (May I assume this^ is from Russian?)
    It made me think of what my grandmother used to say: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

• Vivaldi Team

@debbie:

@Shpankov:

I really enjoy Russian phrases. :) (May I assume this^ is from Russian?)
    It made me think of what my grandmother used to say: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Exactly :)
    It was my ugly translation. In fact, many of proverbs have a similar sense but absolutely different wording in different countries and cultures. And some proverbs are absolutely impossible to translate because of different mentality and traditions :)

• @Shpankov:

Exactly :)
    It was my ugly translation. In fact, many of proverbs have a similar sense but absolutely different wording in different countries and cultures. And some proverbs are absolutely impossible to translate because of different mentality and traditions :)

So true. That's what makes other languages fascinating - we get a glimpse of another world.
    Your translation was fine. The meaning was clear, yet you preserved some of the original structure. :)

• Vivaldi Team

Thanks! :)

• Interesting sayings and I see (indirectly) how this applies to the subject at hand. :)

• Imho: really man will not talk obscenely where he does not risk to get punched in the face (eg, the Internet).

• As a woman who has never left the U.S., I'm not sure I know enough to decide whether or not to take offense at the suggestion that prudery is a hallmark of this country.

Belittlement of women's mental capacity to distinguish sexist abuse from benign guy-talk seems to be as popular here as elsewhere, but I've seen places close to home where the use of the Eff Word for emphasis, to denote an act of belittlement that may have nothing to do with gender or even age, is turned into a big no-no that makes that choice of words a distraction from the belittlement so denoted, for the ostensible sake of any tender ladies and children whose overly emotional little heads might be corrupted by the very sight of a word that only a man could ever understand as anything but an offense. ;)

I must confess that I posted a favorable reply to toscho's blog post before I even knew that this Eff Word topic existed, or had a reason to exist. Does that mean I'm not a respectable woman? :evil:

Seriously, though, the intent indicated by that particular word's visible context matters more to me than its literal vulgarity when taken out of that context to be evaluated. In this case, the only disturbing thing about seeing it used was my own familiarity with how upsetting others might find it to be.

• Swear words are only needed by the intellectually challenged and emotionally immature.

I am sure there's no point having a filter for certain words that might cause offence. Just delete or moderate posts containing profanity, and after a few warnings, ban users who don't know how to behave in a public forum.

Alternatively, provide a method to block users so that those who do find profane speech offensive don't have to read it while trying to follow a discussion.

Whoever sets up and administers the forum gets to decide what is acceptable and what is not. If anyone doesn't like the profanity or prudery, they can always go somewhere else. Nobody is forced to stay here.

• @thattoo
    Thank You for that post!

I really feared that the brains of children and women would melt if I use a swear word - not really :D

My wife's brain is still intact and if she feels the need to swear, she does it and she has no problem with handling others doing it, especially because language changes and is highly context sensitive. The average use of the "f- word" I experienced while living in the USA had nothing to do with sexuality, suppression of females etc. but was mostly used for emphasis. I always thought it being quite hilarious when people started to use different words like freck, friggin, darn, maulk etc. pp. because they were "cleaner" or more "political correct".

You don't need those words to be highly insulting, as John Montagu and John Wilkes showed during one of their verbal sparring matches:

Montagu spat at Wilkes and said, “Upon my soul, Wilkes, I don’t know whether you’ll die upon the gallows, or of syphilis.” Wilkes retorted, “That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles, or your mistress.”

It is always the meaning that matters, not the isolated word in itself.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.