Do not abandon Opera12 users !

• I am a faithfull user of Opera since v.3 It is a too long time hoping that Vivaldi will be as useable as my Opera 12 configuration. This is still not the case. I have the impression that Vivaldi is running too fast towards the modern web standards, leaving many Opera 12 features : History and notes, for instance are mandatory. My interest with Vivaldi is getting very low, and I will satisfy myself with O12 and Google Chrome(or the nex Opera) just if necessary. [i]"To nobody, except those who will take pleasure here" [/i](Franz Schubert, 1797-1828)

• History and Notes are both available already.

Open the History from Speed Dial. The notes panel can import your notes from Opera 12.

Much work remains to be done, but the fundamentals are there already. Be patient. Opera took over a decade to reach the maturity of Opera 12.17 Vivaldi has had just a year of development so far.

• Thank you Pesala,
    My notes were not in the default folder…
    Abt History, would not it be more convenient to put the button in the same place as in O12 ? I think it would be much easier.
    Regards,

• @ketalar:

Thank you Pesala,
    My notes were not in the default folder…
    Abt History, would not it be more convenient to put the button in the same place as in O12 ? I think it would be much easier.
    Regards,

My Opera 12.17 is a USB install on an encrypted VeraCrypt drive. I just had to browse to select the profile folder. I just imported my notes again to bring them up to date, then deleted the old ones. Simple.

Requests have already been made for a History Panel. No doubt it will come in due course. Opera 12 users definitely have not been forgotten. We are the main reason why Jon von Tetzchner is developing Vivaldi.

• The features you mentioned exist in Vivaldi, History and Notes.

As for Opera 12, its not that anyone has a choice there. I found out its working badly with some websites or not at all. You cannot rely on a browser that is not updated for years, both in security or web content, since it will not support new standards which are added to websites. The browser is great, but Presto (the rendering engine) is not updated anymore.

As for using the current Opera, they are absolutely not interest in following the old Opera path, they made that very clear and are trying to do what Firefox is doing (which just copied Chrome business model), and make a very simple browser to use without features in order to attract the mass.

Also, if Opera is purchased by Chinese companies, personally I would seriously distrust my data to them, they are buying Opera for their advertising reach so they will sure turn the new Opera browser into an ad machine or get as much data as they can, just like Chrome does. I want a browser from a software company, not a an advertising company.

• @terere:

Also, if Opera is purchased by Chinese companies, personally I would seriously distrust my data to them, they are buying Opera for their advertising reach so they will sure turn the new Opera browser into an ad machine or get as much data as they can, just like Chrome does. I want a browser from a software company, not a an advertising company.

I think that a sync based on a cloud of choice would be nice

I didn't test yet but with something like the great cloud drive https://stablebit.com/CloudDrive/Download, you can have a real roaming profile, w/o leaving a single unencrypted on any of the supported services.

You store a single file which is an encrypted virtual disc, then you can access it locally as a local drive.

• Another problem, at least for me :
    How to open an URL (e.g. from my bookmarks) without erasing the actual one ?
    I cannot find this option in the tools.

• @ketalar:

My way to do this is a right click on a bookmark and choosing the 'Open in New Tab' option from the context menu.

• @ketalar:

Another problem, at least for me :
    I cannot find this option in the tools.

Middle-click is quickest, and best, as it lets you open several tabs in the background while focus remains on the current tab.

• OK for middle-click.
    But one more little difference which is a pain for me, faithfull O12 user.

Also missing is the double window for the bookmarks tree

• Despite having been an Opera user since v6, I don't believe that I've ever used features such as Notes .. I can't deal with a browser without the correct gestures, though. And I really enjoy, especially now that wide-screen monitors are the standard, but the web is pretty much still square, or at least not wide-screen, having the additional tab orientations that are offered.

I could get by with any browser on earth, basically, but because Vivaldi supports side tabs and gestures, it's the one that I use, and will continue to support.

yeah, kinda off topic, but since the topic was Opera 12, I wanted to mention my favorite pet features from Opera 12.. which have been happily supported since very early on in this project, and I love it.

• now if only I could drag tabs off to another monitor and have them create a new window… sigh. :-)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.