Vivaldi cannot be opened (Window is hidden)

• Hi, whenever I attempt to open Vivaldi by double clicking on the icon, it will execute, but the window will not appear. Vivaldi will simply appear on the taskbar. I tried clicking on the taskbar label, but it doesn't work. There are outstanding tabs from previous sessions. I am running the latest stable build.

@Bludenbuz:

Hi, whenever I attempt to open Vivaldi by double clicking on the icon, it will execute, but the window will not appear. Vivaldi will simply appear on the taskbar. I tried clicking on the taskbar label, but it doesn't work. There are outstanding tabs from previous sessions.

I am running the latest stable build.

There are no stable builds. What is your actual build number, and what is your platform?

• @Ayespy:

There are no stable builds. What is your actual build number, and what is your platform?

Yikes, I used the wrong word. I meant the beta build 1.0.344.37 (Beta 2) (32-bit).

Platform is Windows 10 64 bit.

OK. To start with, why not go to https://vivaldi.net/ and get the latest snapshot?

Then, if that won't start, let's try a couple of things.

• @Ayespy:

OK. To start with, why not go to https://vivaldi.net/ and get the latest snapshot?

Then, if that won't start, let's try a couple of things.

Okay installed, but it still wouldn't start. Windows aero peek shows that it is indeed working, but the window just doesn't appear. An outstanding tab with a youtube video will play too.

Then something crushed your sessions.

Please try this:
    1. Close Vivaldi
    2. Open Taskmanager and search for any Vivaldi processes and Kill them
    3. In Explorer open "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default"
    4. delete the files "Last Session" "Last Tabs" "Current Session" "Current Tabs"
    5. restart Vivaldi

Please report us back if it is working.

• @Gwen-Dragon:

Then something crushed your sessions.

Please try this:
    1. Close Vivaldi
    2. Open Taskmanager and search for any Vivaldi processes and Kill them
    3. In Explorer open "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default"
    4. delete the files "Last Session" "Last Tabs" "Current Session" "Current Tabs"
    5. restart Vivaldi

Please report us back if it is working.

I have deleted the required 4 files and the issue is still the same =/

Something in your Vivaldi browser profile data must be cracked. Sorry for your.

Try this:
    1. Open _%LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data_
    2. Rename folder Default to Default_BAK (can be renamed back late after deleting new Default) or backup it Default
    3. Start Vivaldi

Does it start now?

• Sometimes restarting the computer fixes the problem for me.

If the top-level application in the first layer of TaskManager is not shown, while processes below are, we have seen this with font and font manager conflicts. It's REALLY rare. Can't remember what fixes it.

If the top-level application is shown, plus sub-processes below, the UI could be being created at coordinates that are outside the limits of the display. Then you have to "move" the UI into view.

We've also see a 3P security program block creation of the UI.

Just last week or week before someone had the problem, and solved it after we had advised most of the above, and it turned out to be something entirely different from what we were trying. Now I can't find that topic. Gwen-Dragon was quite active trying to help that user.

But what I would do at this point is rename the profile folder and try again.

• Restarted the computer, doens't help.

I renamed the Default to another name and executed Vivaldi, it worked.

Is there any things I've lost by using a new Default folder ?

@Bludenbuz:

Restarted the computer, doens't help.

I renamed the Default to another name and executed Vivaldi, it worked.

Is there any things I've lost by using a new Default folder ?

Well, the first thing you've lost is whatever corruption or setting was blocking Vivaldi from starting. You also will probably want to retrieve your bookmarks, notes and similar things that are in the old folder, by moving them to the appropriate places in the new one. Unfortunately, any stored passwords you had are in the old folder and cannot be retrieved. Also, any extensions you were using will need to be re-installed, you will need to rebuild your Speed Dial images and your favicons, etc., etc. just as though you were starting to use Vivaldi for the first time. But Hey - at least it's working again…

• Re: Vivaldi cannot be opened.

I am facing the same issue again. There is a very strange symptom of the problem. The original window will not be displayed when I execute Vivaldi, but when I create a 2nd window from the taskbar options, it will not be displayed too. Only the 3rd window created always displays as per normal.

Any ideas ? Thanks :)

• @Ayespy Thanks a bunch, it worked :) Any reason as to why it happened in the first place ?

@Bludenbuz No one knows for sure yet.

May be a Windows problem, i remember had such issue some months ago while Windows Explorer crashed and lost some data. Suddenly the Vivaldi window was invisible and outside the current desktop.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.