Vivaldi forking in the background

• Hey, I'm using Vivaldi on Arch using the Gnome desktop interface. Gnome has a Dash with applications (similar to OSX), however if I run the Vivaldi application using the Dash it will start up Vivaldi as expected, but unexpected is that a second Vivaldi icon appears in my Dash. I assume this is because Vivaldi spawns in the background. Opera / chromium / firefox don't do this, which is why there is no issue there. Is there a commandline option for this perhaps? Best regards, Hans

• Welcome to the forum hansg91!

Don't your icons have a name attached? Here on my Fedora 23 with Gnome 3 desktop I have exactly two Vivaldi icons. One has the name 'Vivaldi (beta)' and the other 'Vivaldi (snapshot)'. Vivaldi doesn't 'spawn' in the background but discriminates between two branches with individual update cycles. If you have installed a beta version once, this branch will reside independently on your system. The snapshots won't interfere with the beta version and vice versa. You can see this also in your /opt folder where two folders are created: 'vivaldi-beta' and 'vivaldi-snapshot'.

• Hey RJules3,

I just recently discovered Vivaldi so I am pretty sure I don't have conflicting versions. I am not at home at the moment so I will confirm later, but the Vivaldi.desktop in my Dash is called Vivaldi (as defined in vivaldi.desktop) but the second icon that is added when I execute vivaldi.desktop is called vivaldi-beta if I remember correctly. Unfortunately I can't seem to add this to favourites (I assume only *.desktop can be added to favourites). Any idea why I get a second Vivaldi icon and you don't?

Best regards,
    Hans

• Vivaldi (Beta) and Vivaldi (Snapshot) are coexisting peacefully on my Fedora 23 system. I wouldn't call that 'conflicting versions'. Then I don't understand you. The terms Vivaldi.desktop and Dash unfortunately I can't transfer into something that I see. The only Arch based system I am running is Manjaro but there I am using the XFCE desktop. If you have only one folder of Vivaldi in your /opt folder you have only one version installed. Is that the case I don't have a clue where the second icon is coming from.

• @RJules3:

Vivaldi (Beta) and Vivaldi (Snapshot) are coexisting peacefully on my Fedora 23 system. I wouldn't call that 'conflicting versions'. Then I don't understand you. The terms Vivaldi.desktop and Dash unfortunately I can't transfer into something that I see. The only Arch based system I am running is Manjaro but there I am using the XFCE desktop. If you have only one folder of Vivaldi in your /opt folder you have only one version installed. Is that the case I don't have a clue where the second icon is coming from.

Interestingly enough, because of your post I decided to try Vivaldi (snapshot) and it does not seem to fork in the background. I had previously installed version 1.0.344.37-1, now I have 1.0.385.5-1. Since this does not spawn a new process, it also works as I would like to in my Dash. Thank you for your replies and helping me out, I will use snapshot for now then :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.