SEGFAULT on Launch for Vivaldi-Snapshot.

• Hi. Last few days it make SEGfault if I launch more than once during the uptime of the computer (launch, quit, relaunch -> Segfault). Since the update 1.0.385.5 Here the logs when i try to launch from terminal : [quote][email protected]:~$ vivaldi-snapshot [5247:5247:0203/101245:ERROR:logging.h(808)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "GetManagedObjects" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" doesn't exist [5247:5247:0203/101245:ERROR:logging.h(808)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "GetManagedObjects" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" doesn't exist Erreur de segmentation (core dumped) [/quote] And in my syslog: [quote]Feb 3 10:12:51 Ubuntu kernel: [ 585.508580] vivaldi-bin[5247]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fd4bdd5f727 sp 00007ffdb481ed50 error 4 in vivaldi-bin[7fd4ba047000+627a000] [/quote] It runs on ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bits Is there a way to have more debug information ?

• I've try to delete the .cache/vivaldi-snapshot/ directory and it works now.

• I've talk too fast, it continue to SEGFAULT.

The only way to launch it is to launch it after reboot and without the .cache/vivaldi-snapshot directory or it will segfault.
    If I quit Vivaldi and try to re launch it -> segfault.

Any path of research ?
    It works if i reset the profile. But i lost all my opened tabs, cookies, bookmarks, extensions … I prefer keep it.

Or how to migrate only cookies, stored password, bookmark, extensions ?

• Which Ubuntu version?
    lsb_release -a
    Which kernel?
    uname -a
    Which graphics card and driver?

//EDIT: I found bug VB-11972 and try to investigative on my Ubuntu.

Try to delete some file with:
    find .config/vivaldi-snapshot/ -name "Last *" -delete

Does it start then?

• [email protected]:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty
    [email protected]:~$ uname -a
    Linux Ubuntu 3.13.0-77-generic #121-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 20 10:50:42 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The graphic card is the one included in my INTEL CORE I3-2125 with the default intel kernel driver, but i've already tried to disable gpu with –disable-gpu

is there a way to access to the definition of the VB-11972 bug ?
    if i can help.

• No, bugtracker is internal.

Try to delete some file with:
    find .config/vivaldi-snapshot/ -name "Last *" -delete

• After removing these two files, It segfault when i tried to launch. But it launch after i've deleted the .cache/vivaldi-snapshot directory

• The first thing you should try is to close vivaldi, rename your user profile and see if the problem is still there using the clean profile.

If it works, you can start to copy back some profile files, and test vivaldi each time to spot the culprit.

• Vivaldi 1.0.385.5 works for me without Segfault.
    Kernel: Linux ubuntu 3.13.0-77-generic #121-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 20 10:50:42 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

May be it is a OpenGL + driver problem?

• @The_Solutor:

The first thing you should try is to close vivaldi, rename your user profile and see if the problem is still there using the clean profile.

If it works, you can start to copy back some profile files, and test vivaldi each time to spot the culprit.

I moved my vivaldi config dir. And i've copied files and it seems to come from the ~/.config/vivaldi-snapshot/Default/Current Session when I copy it from the backup it segfault Except if i delete the .cache/vivaldi-snapshot folder, in this cas it works without reboot. But I've to wait a minute or two.

My session contains 30 tabs, with 3 of them pined and two stack of 2 and 7 tabs.

What is the format of this file ? I've found SNSS in the header. Is there a tool to check it ?
    But my session file seems to be good as it works when no cache is present.
    Is there a debug flag in order to see where the trouble comes ?

• Oh! doh The sessions. I forgot to say find and delete the "Current *" files.
    Sometimes the session files are broken.

I dont know if something has changed to the session file format but you can read http://www.cclgroupltd.com/chrome-session-and-tabs-files-and-the-puzzle-of-the-pickle for more.

• For me the file is not broken as it work with cache empty. And if by a miracle a broken file works if i clear cache. As i've modified it by closing/opening new tabs, change pages. A new one is writed when i quit the browser. But in my case each time i've to clear cache to launch the browser. It's will be a week that I've some trouble launching Vivaldi.

• I think that this problem can occur if you upgrade Vivaldi while still having it open.
    I speculate that the upgrade overwrites some of the config files (e.g. when a new format is used), and when you close it, Vivaldi overwrites those new files with an old version, which the new version of Vivaldi cannot parse (and for some reasons it makes Vivaldi segfault).

This already happened to me for some updates in the past, and for other it did not segfault like that. I started to keep my browser open when upgrading Vivaldi, as I would not get my last opened tabs back otherwise.

As explained in the post pointed to by Gwen-Dragon, the format of the Current/Last Session/Tabs is pretty esoteric, and I would not be surprised if it regularly changed slightly. (By the way, the script provided in that blog post does not work anymore)

Hopefully, you can still retrieve your tabs when Vivaldi segfaults, as they are stored in the "Current Session" file. So before you erase it to be able to fix the segfault, run the following command to get the list of your opened tabs:

cat ~/.config/vivaldi-snapshot/Default/Current\ Session | grep -aoE '"urlForThumbnail":".*",' | cut -d: -f2- | sed -r 's/^"([^"]*)".*/\1/' | sort | uniq

Edit
    It turns out that the current version actually segfaults after I
    1. Open (successfully) vivaldi
    2. Load my previous list of tabs (retrieved with the snippet above)
    3. Close vivaldi
    4. Re-open it (segfaults)
    This does not happen if I open other URLs instead. So I guess I was mistaken about the format of the "Current Session" file being changed, and it has something to do with one of my open tab instead (but could not identify which one yet, and won't investigate this tonight).

| OS | Archlinux |
    | Package source | herekura: http://repo.herecura.be/herecura/x86_64 |
    | Vivaldi (current version) | 1.0.385.5 |
    | Vivaldi (previous version) | 1.0.380.2 |

• I'll try to let it close on the next update to test.

I'm already notice that if i tried to relaunch it too quikly after closing it segfault.
    Maybe some threads takes time to close. Maybe a kind of exclusive sqlite access.

• The bug is still present with the latest version: 1.0.390.3

I managed to pin down the cause of the segfault in my case:
    My previous session contained a tab with a PDF opened inside (i.e. the javascript PDF reader).

I managed to consistently reproduce the problem with a single tab containing a PDF, or several tabs with one of them having the PDF. I started from a fresh profile everytime (wiped .config/vivaldi-snapshot completely). I tested with two different PDFs for the same result. (And I made a shell script for the tests, if someone else wants to run the tests let me know)

| OS | Archlinux |
    | Package source | herekura: http://repo.herecura.be/herecura/x86_64 |
    | Vivaldi | 1.0.390.3 |

• I can confirm the crash with PDF and internal test build on Debian 8x, too!
    And on Windows.

Deleting "* Session" files in Vivaldi profile folder helps.

Reported as bug: VB-12909 Crash restarting session when PDF in tab was opened

• I found my way to this thread after seg faulting my latest vivaldi-snapshot when restarting with a pdf open in a tab. I am running Ubuntu 14.04.3 - is this bug only apparent in Linux, or Windows too?

• As is wrote, i found this crash ion Linux and Windows.

But dont let us discuss Windows problems as this is a Linux thread!

• Each time I haved a segfault, I've succeed to launch my session by rebooting and delete .cache/vivaldi-snapshot/ directory.
    But as I don't have any pdf opened in my session i think is one of the javascript function used by the pdf reader.
    At least we know now how to reproduce the crash.

• Hi, just for info, got segfault after kernel update on suse 13.2.
    Delete cache or profile does not help.
    After some searching I found switch –disable-namespace-sandbox
    Got it working with this switch.

Cheers, mib
    EDIT: Error was: Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map", gid_)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.