Plasma Integration is broken (KDE)

• This is utterly bizarre.This extension keeps removing itself, or otherwise is being forcibly removed, by something.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/plasma-integration/cimiefiiaegbelhefglklhhakcgmhkai/related?hl=en-GB

This weirdness has existed across numerous Snapshots; just now i realised the damn thing was once again missing, so have reinstalled it yet again.

Crazy!

OMZ, what is going on? This extension is also being silently removed from my Stable -- upon checking it now, it was also missing there & so i had to reinstall there too. Wtf?

modedit split from https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/58680/webpage-translation-support-and-a-new-panel-design-vivaldi-browser-snapshot-2238-3/282

• Not to say you hadn't done this yet, but have you tried finding a way of installing it with dev mode enabled, either as packed (.crx) or unpacked (.zip)?

To be frank, I wouldn't imagine this helping if this has something to do with the extension itself being the problem. I had a similar issue on my Manjaro install with Vivaldi using the Universal Bypass extension, and that one the author does distribute as third-party because Linkiversity sued the author into oblivion and convinced Google to remove it from the Chrome Web Store.

Not because it did anything bad per se, just some butthurt advertisers who couldn't find a way around the author's work using the law against user interests.

• @hebgbs You've replied to the thread rather than to me, so maybe i'm incorrect to assume that you did indeed intend your comments for me? Assuming you did, then i offer this: no i haven't installed it the way you indicated, only the "conventional" way directly at the webstore. Fwiw, this is a standard extension commonly used in Linux by KDE DE users across multiple distros. Personally i have used it for years, in all my chromium-based browsers & also Firefox. This weird misbehaviour has never arisen for me in prior years, but seems to be present now for a couple of months. I continue to have no idea what's causing it. [Just now, i checked my Chromium; it continues to have this extension installed, meaning it has survived intact for a couple of years now in that installation... unlike in both my Vivaldis].

• @guigirl Two last entries in the FAQ here might be of interest to you (since PBI is usually installed automatically). Also make sure that you have the plasma-browser-integration package.

• @potmeklecbohdan Fyi:

Spoiler

32931cb8-12b7-4771-922e-7f899c2d3bb7-image.png

The last two entries? That's pretty 🤬 insulting - you're implying that i uninstalled this extension myself each time? Nope, i certainly did not. Furthermore, are you conflating the package with the extension? As per my pic, i've had the package "forever", but it is necessary to separately, manually, install the extension into each target browser oneself... which until recently in my Vs was only a once-off job, not something i had to repeat & repeat.

• @guigirl Well, & that might be the problem: you installed it manually.

Doing a tar tvf of the file gives also these

"see? it's got the NM host (which it should have anyway)"
    -rw-r--r-- root/root       323 2021-03-16 15:00 etc/chromium/native-messaging-hosts/org.kde.plasma.browser_integration.json
    -rwxr-xr-x root/root    243696 2021-03-16 15:00 usr/bin/plasma-browser-integration-host
    "as well as the extension auto-install file"
    -rw-r--r-- root/root        81 2021-03-16 15:00 usr/share/chromium/extensions/cimiefiiaegbelhefglklhhakcgmhkai.json

Thus I think that if you remove the extension from the blocklist & let it be installed automagically (which, btw., it was when I last used Plasma), it might, maybe help.

• @potmeklecbohdan We seem to be constantly at cross-purposes here atm. I did not install the package manually, it was installed as part of doing my original Arch KDE installation on 7/12/19 [note that's the oldest entry in the filtered pacman log pic, above]. The manual installation of which i spoke, was/is the EXTENSION in the browser -- it is simply incorrect to assert that this is automagically installed by "the system", for many reasons but not least being that one's eventual preferred browser might not even be installed on the same date as one installs her distro.

I possibly need to repeat something; i am not new to using this extension, having used it from soon after it first became available in the Chrome Webstore & the Firefox AddOns place. What IS new, is this recent issue of Vivaldi [Stable & Snapshot] mysteriously removing it afterwards [today is at least my third time in recent months having to install it ... the extension not the package!].

Maybe it's an April Fools joke?

Fwiw.

https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma-browser-integration

Spoiler

How To Install
    Before installing the browser's extension, you need to install the package plasma-browser-integration (the package name may change between the Linux distribution).

Now you can install the browser extension like a normal browser extension.

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Browser_Integration

Spoiler

How to install
    The extension consists of two parts:

The browser extension: A regular extension to be installed in your browser:
    For Google Chrome, Chromium, and Vivaldi: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/plasma-integration/cimiefiiaegbelhefglklhhakcgmhkai
    For Mozilla Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/plasma-integration/

The native host: An application that runs on your computer that the browser extension talks to:
    It should be available as a package from your distribution.
    If building from the source into a custom prefix, you will want to build with -DCOPY_MESSAGING_HOST_FILE_HOME to install the files firefox/chrome need
    See Chrome documentation and Firefox documentation for where the native host and its accompanying configuration file must be placed in.

• @guigirl I understand you perfectly. Just try what I told you to do, that is

• if the extension is gone again, install it
    • remove the extension
    • relaunch V
    • open the extensions page
    • (enable dev mode) & press the update button (just in case, shouldn’t be needed)
      • you can disable dev mode again
    • it should be installed
    • the question is if this will prevent it from being removed

Read the page I linked above if you don’t believe me it should work. If you’ve tried it & it doesn’t – okay, revert to the system you’re using now.

• @potmeklecbohdan said in Webpage translation support and a new panel design – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2238.3:

I understand you perfectly.

With respect, i'm unsure of that riposte [otherwise, why did you assert/imply that this recent problem is my fault for having manually installed this extension, given that is the unavoidable user action necessary, & was trouble-free in previous months & years?].

The procedure you're keen for me to perform has never been necessary for me to do before. Something comparatively recently has changed. Why should "your" procedure be needed now, when it was never needed before [for this specific extension, & apparently only in V (given that in Chromium it continues to behave itself)?].

To put it another way. I am not disputing that your procedure might help now. I am disputing/doubting it because this is possibly only reacting to a symptom, rather than dealing with the root cause. If in my usage history of Vivaldi in KDE in Arch & before Arch, "my" way had never worked, & "your" way had always been needed, i'd have no disagreement with you. However, that is not my usage history at all. Something recently has changed, it seems.

• @guigirl said in Webpage translation support and a new panel design – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2238.3:

otherwise, why did you assert/imply that this recent problem is my fault for having manually installed this extension

I said ‘might’.

& was trouble-free in previous months & years?

I’m just trying to guess what the reason could be, & noticed that you installed it manually although the mentioned package contains the files necessary for it to be installed automatically.

The procedure you're keen for me to perform has never been necessary for me to do before.

It should ensure that the extension isn’t on the blocklist. That’s why it isn’t just ‘make sure you have the package’.

I am disputing/doubting it because this is possibly only reacting to a symptom, rather than dealing with the root cause.

🤷🦥

• @potmeklecbohdan Fwiw... Since today's latest discovery of this latest mysterious silent removal in both Snapshot & Stable, with me again then reinstalling manually as mentioned, this extension has survived several relaunches of both Vs [ie, it's not that something crazy is happening at close or open]. For now i plan to do nothing else until next update of Snapshot & Stable, when i'll be keen to see if this strange removal occurs during the upgrade process. If it does then vanish again, i'll try your procedure at that point... but i must repeat again that this was never needed before.

• @guigirl lol
    You either behave now or @potmeklecbohdan will put you on the support blacklist. You don’t wanna be on there, trust me.

• @guigirl said in Webpage translation support and a new panel design – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2238.3:

this was never needed before

& I must repeat again that it shouldn’t. But the same goes for manual installation of the extension, which you did.

• @potmeklecbohdan said in Webpage translation support and a new panel design – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2238.3:

which you did

because it is NOT automatically installed, it needs manual installation, per the KDE links i posted earlier.

@guigirl @luetage Please stay polite, no fighting. ☮
    If you have to discuss something personally, use the Chat function of forum.

• @Gwen-Dragon While you’re here, don’t you think this discussion should be in its separate thread? (It isn’t related to this concrete Snapshot, & since @guigirl said she’ll wait for next version, it should stay unlocked even after a new Schnappi is out.)

• @Gwen-Dragon So, reading between the lines, you're suggesting that we should get a room? 🙈

@potmeklecbohdan said in Webpage translation support and a new panel design – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2238.3:

this discussion should be in its separate thread?

I agree, & must apologise for not creating a dedicated thread at the outset.

@potmeklecbohdan said in Plasma Integration is broken:

don’t you think this discussion should be in its separate thread

Done.

• @Gwen-Dragon Thanks 🙂 Just a minor thing, the link to this thread that you posted in the SS thread is broken (missing topic ID).

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.