Please stop the User Agent madness

• At the moment Vivaldi follows the usual User Agent schema which is a big f***ed up mess where one compatibility compromise follows the other: [code]Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/48.0.2564.48 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.0.357.5[/code] If you are interested in the mess and how this came to life i suggest reading this excellent blog post: [url=http://webaim.org/blog/user-agent-string-history/]History of the browser user-agent string[/url] [b][color=#ff0000]This madness has to stop! [/color][/b] It not only makes identifying browsers yourself a tedious act, it also confuses most statistics and analytics tools and produces tons of false negatives and positives. And NO, i do not want to use this to create browser switches, browser switches are just plain wrong and should be punishable by law. Imho the user agent should look something like this: [code]Vivaldi/1.0.357.5 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_5)[/code] [b][color=#ff0000]So please Vivaldi Team be courageous, lead by example and stop this madness![/color][/b]

No, if the useragent would be only the short one you suggested, some Webapps and Websites would fail.
    May be your useragent is then a madness.

Why do you think your suggestion is usable in real WWW?
    Please tell us.

• @TimeWaster:

This madness has to stop!

Sure.

But I think the madness is there because not even the big names were able to stop it.

I think that a move in that direction from Vivaldi would be brave but futile.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.