Minimum backup of setup

• Hi, I already do a backup every once in a while. But that's more or less the entire profile minus the most obvious "unneeded" big files. To go for a more regular and optimize backup plan I want to strip down the target to just my keepers. To do so I need to define a file list for what I call [i]minimum Vivaldi settings[/i]. These encompass [li]all settings done via the gui (browser, extensions content etc.)[/li] [li]installed extensions (active & deactivated) including their current settings[/li] [li]speed dial (w/o images)and all bookmarks[/li] [li]the current session(s)[/li] [li]cookies of the current sessions[/li] Especially the extensions are still a real mystery to me, their complete config seems to be made persistent in many files. Thanks! someone

• This is one feature that Opera 12.17 needed and one of the longest standing feature requests on My Opera. Haavard just used to say, backup your profile folder, which, easy as it is, also backs up a useless load of cached files, bloating the backup enormously. New users also don't know where to find the profile.

A couple of users even wrote utilities to do the job and make it easy for noobies.

I suggest that this is really an important feature request for Vivaldi, and not something to leave to users to figure out with batch files and the like.

I have a system for backing up Opera, but it's not simple, and must be done with Opera closed, so I don't do it often enough. A backup routine should take one-click and ideally should work with the browser still running. It should be as easy as clearing private data, remembering which data the user wants to backup, and what he/she doesn't care about.

• @someone:

Hi,

I already do a backup every once in a while. But that's more or less the entire profile minus the most obvious "unneeded" big files. To go for a more regular and optimize backup plan I want to strip down the target to just my keepers.

To do so I need to define a file list for what I call minimum Vivaldi settings. These encompass

• all settings done via the gui (browser, extensions content etc.)

• installed extensions (active & deactivated) including their current settings

• speed dial (w/o images)and all bookmarks

• the current session(s)

• cookies of the current sessions

Especially the extensions are still a real mystery to me, their complete config seems to be made persistent in many files.

Thanks!

Basically if you have to restore Vivaldi, on the same machine and using the same windows unique user id, you need to backup practically the entire user profile folder, minus the big cache directories.

That includes also the in place upgrade of windows keeping just the personal files (the Windows UUID is retained)

If, instead you need to move the settings to a different user, a different windows installation or even a new user with the same username of a removed one, the whole folder becomes pointless, as the passwords, the cookies, the extensions will be lost anyway, being tied to the original UUID.

So just few single files are worth to backup, like bookmarks, preferences, sessions, tabs…

That's both a security improvement over Opera, but also a major annoyance. There are methods to backup those settings in the chromium world, but (AFAIK) none of them is simple and/or complete.

• Hi Pesala and The_Solutor,

thank you both for your replies.

Wow, I didn't expect to hit a nail here. :huh: And I much less expected that it's not possible yet. :ohmy:

I'll wait for 1.0 stable and then repeat my question as a request in the blogs.

someone

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.