Google to leave Australia ??
In a BBC News article today (also read this atricle) they mention that the big g are threatening to pull some services from Australia due the Australian government wanting to pass a law forcing tech giants to " pay media outlets for their news content".
Hmmm, well I'm not in Aus but as one who never used the big g much it would be no big deal to me.
How 'bout you Aussies?
guigirl last edited by
@greybeard Excellent. If i ran our stupid show here, all gone would be gargle, farcebuck, twatter, idiotgram et al. A cesspit the lot of them.
purgat0ri last edited by
That would be a parting so sweet as to not be leavened with the faintest molecule of sorrow.
I think his thread should be moved to the Technology category (and perhaps the Software sub-catagory).
guigirl last edited by
This ongoing story is driving me simply bonkers. It's being covered internationally in places like Ars Technica, BleepingComputer, Wired, ZDNet etc. It's being covered locally in places like ABC News Online, Sydney Morning Herald, Guardian Australia etc. It's being discussed on local current affairs tv shows & radio programmes. It's being debated by local politicians [which then of course feeds back into the preceding loops].
Without exception, all the local coverage & discussion is of a mind-numbingly moronically hideously ignorant & utterly clueless nature. It is nothing less than embarrassing in its incompetence & naivety.
The tenor & tone of typical discussions is along the lines of [i paraphrase & possibly add some histrionics, but not damn much]:
- What? Gargle is threatening to withdraw Search services from Straya? Oh no, that's the end of the interwotsit thing then for us.
- What? Microsoft is offering Bing to Straya instead? Oh yay, we're saved.
Nobody, in any of the public local media coverage i've heard/read so far, & certainly none of the lobotomised politicians, has gone even close to enunciating terribly basic & bloody obvious stuff that all of us here know intrinsically, like:
- there's other browsers besides Gargle Chrime.
- there's other search engines [gasp!]
- changing a browser's default search engine takes less than 10 seconds
The idiocy & ignorance of all the discussions i've heard & read domestically on this so far, reinforces to me some basic points:
- Straya is a shameful example of massive corporate capture & citizen ignorance
- My fellow citizens are gobsmackingly ignorant about mega-hyper-basic online concepts
- No wonder we keep voting in mendacious sociopathic xenophobic incompetent misgovernments, coz we are just incomprehensibly stupid
- We here in the Vivaldi Community apparently live in a bubble
It's just tragic how wilfully woeful humans can be.
That reminds me. I need to renew my annual subscription to Misanthropy Monthly.
TbGbe last edited by
@guigirl I fear the outcome would be very similar in other countries.
Perhaps Google would be willing to participate in a GLOBAL experiment and announce that they will remove ALL their services worldwide?
Just for science, you understand!
guigirl last edited by guigirl
@TbGbe May I be one of the "Scientists" ??