Serious issue: open in new tab is delayed

• Hi, I'm using the latest Vivaldi release that got auto-updated yesterday: 1.0.352.3 (Beta) (64-bit). Unfortunately, it has a nasty issue that was not present in previous release. Whenever I try to open a link in new tab, the browser doesn't seem to react. Sometimes I need to wait several seconds before a new tab is opened in background, and in other cases I need to manually switch to some other already opened tab before the tab bar is updated with new tabs. When I try to open multiple links, tabs for them usually don't show up until I move to some other already open tab, and then they all pop up to life at once. Please make this issue your priority. I know that you've got a lot to do, but this is extremely troublesome.

• @Maquabra:

Hi,

I'm using the latest Vivaldi release that got auto-updated yesterday: 1.0.352.3 (Beta) (64-bit). Unfortunately, it has a nasty issue that was not present in previous release.

Whenever I try to open a link in new tab, the browser doesn't seem to react. Sometimes I need to wait several seconds before a new tab is opened in background, and in other cases I need to manually switch to some other already opened tab before the tab bar is updated with new tabs. When I try to open multiple links, tabs for them usually don't show up until I move to some other already open tab, and then they all pop up to life at once.

Please make this issue your priority. I know that you've got a lot to do, but this is extremely troublesome.

This has been reported as fixed internally.

• Not fixed, but Developers investigate the bug now.

• It's been fixed in the release that downloaded itself a moment ago.

Thank you :)

• Fine! :)

• I am currently experiencing the same issue at 1.0.344.37 (Beta 2) (32-bit). Even with only a single tab open, opening a link to a new tab results to the browser "freezing" for about two seconds before the tab appearing.

• @antondan:

I am currently experiencing the same issue at 1.0.344.37 (Beta 2) (32-bit). Even with only a single tab open, opening a link to a new tab results to the browser "freezing" for about two seconds before the tab appearing.

You probably want to try the latest snapshot, then, at: https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/77-snapshot-1-0-365-3-first-fixes-for-2016

• Sadly, even in version 1.0.365.3 (Beta) (32-bit), I get the same problem.

• @antondan:

Sadly, even in version 1.0.365.3 (Beta) (32-bit), I get the same problem.

That's a shame. I don't see anything like that here. My "open in new tab" is instantaneous. What sort of setup are you running?

• @Ayespy:

That's a shame. I don't see anything like that here. My "open in new tab" is instantaneous. What sort of setup are you running?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
    RAM: 8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
    Primary Storage: 120GB Samsung SSD 840 Series
    Secondary Storage: 1TB Western Digital WDC 7.2k rpm

• Amazing - another fast i7 processor setup with plenty of RAM and Vivaldi efficiency problems. I wonder if it could have anything to do with your GPU. Maybe if anyone else has this problem with delay on new tab they can share data with you and you can help drill down to what it's related to? All I can report is that I don't see it on either of the two towers or two laptops where I run it regularly. HOWEVER - in attempting to research this a bit, I ran into something even worse.

On this page for instance http://bom.idaho.gov/BOMPortal/AgencyAdditional.aspx?Agency=425&AgencyLinkID=30 open in new tab and open in new window do not work AT ALL for any of the links. You can follow any link you want. But if you attempt to open any link in new tab or new window, all you can get is about:blank. That's just flat weird.

• My GPU is a 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7870.

Indeed I do get an about::blank on all the agency links of that webpage. However, this seems to happen with Google Chrome too, Microsoft Edge refuses to even open a new tab for any of those links and Mozilla Firefox does not even give an option to "open in a new tab". So I don't think that is a problem with Vivaldi. Most likely it's just because of the code used on those links:

onclick="window.open('/BOMPortal/AgencyAdditional.aspx?Agency=425&AgencyLinkID=45','_self');"  

Anyways, I do hope someone can help me out with the new tab opening delay. This, the minor graphical glitches and a few problems with video playback are my only big gripes with Vivaldi (as of now, that is).

• "bom.idaho.gov/BOMPortal/AgencyAdditional…=425&AgencyLinkID=30 open in new tab and open in new window do not work AT ALL for any of the links. You can follow any link you want. But if you attempt to open any link in new tab or new window, all you can get is about:blank." –-> hmmmm:

[attachment=2418]Selection_001_20160117_12:07:50.png[/attachment]

All other links i tried also worked for me; some slower than others [though each specific tab [i]itself opened instantly, just took variable time to populate the content]. Initially verified in latest SS in my primary OS [Linux Mint x64], then reconfirmed in my Win10 x64 VM.
    Attachments:

• @antondan:

Anyways, I do hope someone can help me out with the new tab opening delay. This, the minor graphical glitches and a few problems with video playback are my only big gripes with Vivaldi (as of now, that is).

Assuming you don't have extensions which may interfere - the only thing I can think of is to try a new profile.
    The easiest way to check would be to install Vivaldi to a specific directory (i.e. stand-alone)

Don't want to hijack this thread but:-

@antondan:

Indeed I do get an about::blank on all the agency links of that webpage.

I also get about:blank when trying to open any links in the "Agency Links" panel via right-click "new tab" options.
    Windows 10 1.0.365.3 (Beta) (64-bit)

• It seems that with the latest developer update the new tabs are working fine. It's a bit strange since I didn't read anything about this topic in the patch notes.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: After a couple of hours of use the problem sadly reappeared. If anything new happens I'll just edit this post again. Hope this gets fixed in one of the future updates.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.