CPU usage always hovers around 50+% when Vivaldi is visible, only goes down when minimized



  • Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, whenever I have Vivaldi up with my usual session the CPU usage constantly hovers at around 50% usage minimum, often closer to 60-90%. To put this into context, when I play GTA V my CPU usage averages about 50% as well. Any ideas what could be causing this? I've already identified that having a Facebook tab pinned in the background can often cause Vivaldi to hang at around 90-100% usage, but no matter what I do I always seem to get on average a minimum of 50% usage when a Vivaldi window is not minimized. This issue is getting very close to forcing me to go back to Maxthon...



  • I've just tried this and have to more or less confirm similar behavior. When my Vivaldi window is maximized (doesn't matter if it's running in the foreground or in the background), my CPU usage hovers around 35 %. Once I minimize it, it drops down to something like 5 %. Bring it up again and it goes up back to 35 %. Running from SSD on Win 10 x64, 16 GB RAM, i5 @ 4.3GHz.

    Doing the same with current Opera beta (with the exact same set of tabs open - although technically even more, as Opera loads all tabs on startup, whereas Vivaldi uses lazy loading, so it only has some the tabs running I've been currently using running) has no real effect on CPU usage, it stays around 5 % all the time.


  • Moderator

    Not here. With Vivaldi open and maximized, CPU varies between 1% and 12% (mostly toward the lower end of the scale unless my email client is checking mail). As I type this, with Vivaldi in "restore" size so that I can see the task manager, it's running between 2% and 3%.

    As I go through and focus/load each of my 22 open tabs, I can get it up as high as 57% for a few seconds, though most load at about 20%, and when I quit focusing them, it drops right back into the former range even though all are open in the background now.

    Opera, idle, scores the same. While opening tabs, however (I have it set for lazy loading, so each opens as I focus it), it consistently runs about two-thirds of the load of Vivaldi, and I suspect that's because it needs no CPU to build a tab UI.

    This is with an AMD FX-6120 6-core processor and 10GB of RAM (of which, 3.7 GB is consumed by Opera's 22 tabs+UI and 75 background processes)



  • I haven't such problem here,
    usually high cpu usage is caused by either heavy site (as I tried snow effect on few sites I run, it can load up 8-threaded Core i7 within seconds) or by messed up browser extension (usually any ad-blocking plugins eat lots of ram and cpu resources when active),
    judging by the symptoms you described, ain't the problem with some embedded flash/html5 videos or interactive objects on websites you have opened (even in non-active tab) ?



  • Don't know about OP, but like I've said, I'm running the exact same set of tabs both in Vivaldi and Opera, and only Vivaldi does that. Same goes for the extensions (or, to be precise, again, I've actually got even more extensions running in Opera than I've got in Vivaldi).

    I might certainly try removing tabs to see if it changes, but there's still the fact that a different browser with the same core apparently has no problem with the very same tabs.


  • Moderator

    @Case:

    Don't know about OP, but like I've said, I'm running the exact same set of tabs both in Vivaldi and Opera, and only Vivaldi does that. Same goes for the extensions (or, to be precise, again, I've actually got even more extensions running in Opera than I've got in Vivaldi).

    I might certainly try removing tabs to see if it changes, but there's still the fact that a different browser with the same core apparently has no problem with the very same tabs.

    Same core, but totally different UI. Opera UI does not have to be "computed" because it is compiled of native elements. This makes development slow. Vivaldi UI DOES have to be "computed," because it is built from web-tech, which make it tons more flexible, and makes development fast. Pick your poison.



  • @Case:

    Don't know about OP, but like I've said, I'm running the exact same set of tabs both in Vivaldi and Opera, and only Vivaldi does that. Same goes for the extensions (or, to be precise, again, I've actually got even more extensions running in Opera than I've got in Vivaldi).

    I might certainly try removing tabs to see if it changes, but there's still the fact that a different browser with the same core apparently has no problem with the very same tabs.

    Just to comment on this, I've tried running the same tab load on Opera, Chrome, Firefox and Maxthon, and none of the others show this type of behavior.

    Some other notions would be the CPU usage also shooting up to 100% momentarily when I open a new tab (Speed Dial, best one in the business that one, my favorite feature in Vivaldi), when I refresh a Speed Dial thumbnail it stays near 100% for about 7-8 seconds. If Vivaldi is up for a long time (like over a day) it usually also becomes really sluggish at opening up new tabs/windows, though usually closing it and restarting helps with this.


  • Moderator

    Well, when Opera just jumped to Chromium we had very similar issues. My HDD trashed like hell on the first versions of their new Chromium Opera CPU was crazy high. And I was not the only one as many were complaining about the same problems in their blog. Now the latest versions are much more stable and resource friendly.



  • Some of my problems related to performance went away using a new profile.
    Anyway the devs said more optimization will come.
    I'm sure that Vivaldi 1.0 will be pretty much ok



  • I´m having high processor consuming too, at the moment a site visit.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.