New Vivaldi.net feedback thread - feedback on August 25th updates

• Vivaldi Team

Hello! To make issue tracking a little easier, I've created a new thread. Please report bugs and share your feedback of new Vivaldi.net here. As always, thanks for your support!

• Logging out changes top header (OK) and opens a Community page (?). There is no way to log back in from this close out page. (Could go to Forum and Log in.)

• Ok, that's much better, although colors are still hard to see (gray text, should be black) and fonts are pretty small.
    • And I'd like a full-width page option. I have plenty of space on this monitor and I want to use it all.
    • Top menu does not seem to be translated (to Russian anyway).

• Vivaldi Team

@MoonDawg:

Logging out changes top header (OK) and opens a Community page (?). There is no way to log back in from this close out page. (Could go to Forum and Log in.)

Thanks, MoonDawg for reporting this. I see. We will add login to that page somewhere.

• Vivaldi Team

Thanks tenno-seremel for your feedbacks.

@tenno-seremel:

• Ok, that's much better, although colors are still hard to see (gray text, should be black) and fonts are pretty small.
    OK. Let us try black tomorrow.

> *   And I'd like a full-width page option. I have plenty of space on this monitor and I want to use it all.
    >     
    >     OK. We removed the right side bar to use the horizontal space more for the content but we can look at other option.
    >     Do you have any good example of sites that you recommend us look at on that regards?
    >     
    >     
    >     
    >     > *   Top menu does not seem to be translated (to Russian anyway).
    >     >     
    >     >     OK. We will fix it.

• By full width, I think he means of his browser. My ultra book has a resolution of 1600900, when I'm on that thing my browser window is probably 1400 pixels wide. Hence I get disappointed when I encounter sites that limit themselves to 1000 pixels wide - about a third of my window is nothing but white. The sidebar is immaterial. (Of course my tablet here is the other extreme - 7681024 portrait orientation.)

• Moving the sidebar navigation to the top was a great idea, that gives more horizontal space for the content. In combination with my local stylesheet, which makes the width full fluid to the screen dimensions (i.e. wider than the default width of 1170px) the site looks really good now.

I don't know if I like the top navigation bar ( #jsn-header in viv2.css) being 15% transparent ( rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.85)), seeing the content through the navigation bar when scrolling looks a bit awkward.

The default font size with its about 2mm height for an X is still a bit on the small side (I am looking from a bit more than 1m at a 24" HD monitor). Setting the default font size in template.css for body from 75% to 100% helps a great deal.

The active (click) area of the "reply" etc. buttons are quite tiny in height too, a bit more padding or a bigger line-height (a.kicon-button{line-height: 1.5} or >=16px in kunena.forum-min.css) could help with those, especially because there is enough margin applied to the parent element which could be reduced a bit.

The "flat / threaded" buttons at the bottom switch their text if you click e.g. on "threaded" to "flat / indented" and if you click on "flat" you get "threaded / indented", may be changing that to "flat / treeview" everywhere would make it less confusing.

About the color schemes: switching "Index, Recent topics, …" ( .ktop ) together with the headlines etc. could look quite nice too ...

edit:
    I just switched through the color schemes: With violet some headlines become quite unreadable because black on violet has a very low contrast. Please switch those to white when selecting that theme.

edit2:
    Clicking on "Blogs" leads to a page displaying only the featured blog entries / blogs without an option to see the other blogs. Apart from that this is redundant because the featured blogs are displayed on the Newest blog post page anyway, a link to https://vivaldi.net/eb-blogs/newest-blog-posts would show that there are many more blogs to read.

edit3:
    The string search in the search field top right, darker gray font on dark gray. Seriously? A bit more contrast, please.
    EDITofTheEdit:
    Works in those other browsers, but seems not to work in O12.17.
    I would still prefer a normal input field in default colors because everyone knows how an input field looks like - less surprise, lesser hassle.
    /EDITofTheEdit

edit5:
    Dis anyone test the page with deactivated JS before the update?
    All elements inside div id="fd" class="es mod-es-toolbar es-responsive module-social" (The bar with the notifications, the links to the profile and the search field) can not be clicked because there are no normal links but only javascript:void(0); links.
    IIRC I complained about that earlier and it was fixed. Please fix that again.

edit6:
    See screenshot.
    [attachment=248]vivaldi-double-settings.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• @tatsuki: sgunhouse explains it all :)

@sgunhouse:

By full width, I think he means of his browser. My ultra book has a resolution of 1600900, when I'm on that thing my browser window is probably 1400 pixels wide. Hence I get disappointed when I encounter sites that limit themselves to 1000 pixels wide - about a third of my window is nothing but white. The sidebar is immaterial. (Of course my tablet here is the other extreme - 7681024 portrait orientation.)

• Vivaldi Team

@sgunhouse:

By full width, I think he means of his browser. My ultra book has a resolution of 1600900, when I'm on that thing my browser window is probably 1400 pixels wide. Hence I get disappointed when I encounter sites that limit themselves to 1000 pixels wide - about a third of my window is nothing but white. The sidebar is immaterial. (Of course my tablet here is the other extreme - 7681024 portrait orientation.)

Thanks for the explanation, sgunhouse.
    What do you suggest we display on the side? Putting more text into single line reduce the readability.

• @tatsuki:

What do you suggest we display on the side? Putting more text into single line reduce the readability.

Only if you put more tiny text into a line without increasing the line height.

var elem = document.getElementById('WHATEVER');
    var elemwidth = elem.style.width;
    var elemfontsize = elem.style.fontSize;
    var PHI = (1 + Math.sqrt(5)) / 2;
    var PHI1 = PHI - (1 / (2 * PHI));
    var PHI2 = 2 * PHI * PHI * PHI;
     var foo = (elemwidth / (elemfontsize * elemfontsize * PHI2)) + PHI1;
     foo = (foo > 1.3) ? foo : 1.3;
     foo = parseInt(foo * 10) / 10;
    elem.style.lineHeight = foo;

stays readable in a wide range of font sizes and line widths

edit 20140827:
    I just found an interesting web page that came to a similar conclusion. It seems to confirm my suspicion, that either the font-size used here is too small exclusive-or the line width is too wide, but in both cases the line-height is too small.
    http://www.pearsonified.com/2011/12/golden-ratio-typography.php ← the theory behind it (worked for me too)
    http://www.pearsonified.com/typography/ ← live test page

SCNR

Of course the latest 10 entries of the blogs and the latest 10 of the forums would fit just nice in a sidebar, only the headlines and a small snippet of text …

• For what it's worth I read this one website daily and suffer no readability problems:

• Like the new start page ;)

The colour of the forum is not so mine, to bright for me personally, but this is a taste question. Some contrast would not hurt ;)

But I am disappointed that Vivaldi Mail offers nothing new ): And why mail disappeared from the Start Page ?

• Hi Telegram,

Thanks for the feedback. I readded a link to mail to the start page for non-logged in users. Also, there are some updates to mail on the way, stay tuned :)

Thanks!

• Steinar

• @steinar:

Hi Telegram,

Thanks for the feedback. I readded a link to mail to the start page for non-logged in users. Also, there are some updates to mail on the way, stay tuned :)

Thanks!

• Steinar

OK. Thanks ;) I'm excited too see some updates.

And guys, i saw that Vivaldi.net is now placed on the Opera Start Page. And maybe you know that Operas new start page will show soon logos of the websites. For Vivaldi only the url appears. Maybe you can arrange it, that your logo can be recognized, would be pity for the pretty Vivaldi Logo when not ;)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.