Registration is too greedy

• Why are the fields for gender, birthday and address [i]required[/i]? It should be possible to register without giving too many data away or being forced to make something up.

• Vivaldi Team

toscho, we are on it!
    We will try to make it shorter and quicker to sign up.

Just so you know why, those are the default settings of the platform we are developing on top of. So there are some issues we need to work around to change some of those.

• Vivaldi Team

OK. So we cleaned it up now.
    Does it looks less greedy now? :P

• Just for interest, when I was registering yesterday and used the back key O12.14) to change something I found myself looking at somebody elses details.. I gave up at that point and tried successfully later, but it seems there are some gremlins there. (and then I selected the wrong year for my birthday and it showed me as only 13 years old, whoops…).
    Thanks for cleaning it up, may delete a few things later.

• Vivaldi Team

@davews:

Just for interest, when I was registering yesterday and used the back key O12.14) to change something I found myself looking at somebody elses details.. I gave up at that point and tried successfully later, but it seems there are some gremlins there. (and then I selected the wrong year for my birthday and it showed me as only 13 years old, whoops…).
    Thanks for cleaning it up, may delete a few things later.

OK. Thank you for letting us know. We will have to look into that.
    And, yes your picture looks little older than 13 years old..

I guess it's obvious but for the sake of clarify, we just reduced mandatory items at the time of the registration. You can still add more details later on your profile page.

FYI, you can choose to make each of your profile info to be visible to your friends only, everyone, just you.

• I just checked the options. I am still being forced to lie about my age, as 1930 is the earliest available year. I turned 1884 this summer.

• Much better! Thanks. Now just make the gender optional. :)

Oh, and setting the current year as default doesn’t make much sense. Very few people of that age will be able to read that form. The rest has to scroll too much.

• Seriously? I wouldn't have put you a day over 1700! hmmmm

• Vivaldi Team

OK. Regarding gender, there is bit of a problem to remove.
    You might have seen in your feed saying saying that "User A uploaded their photos"
    The platform somehow uses plural form if user hasn't set gender…

I know it's a bit strange but that's the reasons why it's required for now.
    We will look into a solution to that.

• Hehe, I had to learn this too not long ago. They or their can be used as a singular in English when the gender isn’t known.

• @toscho:

Hehe, I had to learn this too not long ago. They or their can be used as a singular in English when the gender isn’t known.

It "can" be used but only by those who are actually misusing it. I see this misuse all the time in online stories at Yahoo News and other sites as well. It seems to illustrate the fact that we're increasingly seeing men and women who never fully grasped the intricacies of grammar and yet are now writing for news agencies. It's an indictment upon our education system (of which I was a part).

• @toscho:

Much better! Thanks. Now just make the gender optional. :)

Aren´t you sure or not already made your decision?
    (The medical accomplishes so much nowadays…) :woohoo:

• The problem resulting from the lack of a gender-neutral possessive pronoun is another issue altogether, also the subject of this thread…

• Vivaldi Team

Thank you all for the discussion.

I didn't know about the singular use of they till I read this thread… :blush: (Excuse - English is not my first language)

Anyway, gender is now optional.

We agree that people should not be forced to lie about their gender if they choose not to share with others.

We intend to add some text under the gender selection to let people know that if gender is not selected, they/their/ will be used instead of his/her.

It's better to keep the signup page as simple as possible as the original post suggested. However I am guessing many people would find it strange to see they being used as singular.

We will have to think about how to deal with the translation issues, as in the article Frenzie posted.

• I do not recall how many details of profile info were 'required' when I first registered here, but this topic made me review my profile, and I noticed a need to tighten up how much of my profile's details are shown to onlookers.

IOW, the defaults seemed too loose for my liking.

So I did that, and it seems to work. B)

However, when I looked at my birthdate, it did not echo back (even privately to me on the settings page) the year which I had selected, and still shows 1930, even though I had repeatedly selected something else, and the system had acknowledged each time when I clicked 'Save'.

This may be more of a 'Bug', and Mods/Admins please feel free to move this post if necessary.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.