Dragging address to a desktop shortcut names it the domain instead of page title

• hi, When dragging from the browser address bar to the desktop (or folder), the link given to windows creates a title with only the domain, and not the title. For example, a page called "vivaldi is good" at www.foo.com/vivaldi-is-good would get a shortcut with the correct url but simply called "www.foo.com". The desired and expected behavior (from chrome/ie/firefox/etc) is that it is named "vivaldi is good". Having it "www.foo.com" creates an issue where if another link from a different page on the same domain is dragged, it is considered by windows to be the same name and you get the dialog to replace the previous. (vivaldi 1.0.344.5 )

• I noticed the same limitation. Has a fix been found yet?

• Yes this is the last thing about Vivaldi on Windows that's not fixed or I haven't found a work-around for; I sure wish it would get a little love'n from Antonio…

• Here's an example; if I drag the URL to this thread in Vivaldi 1.2.490.43 to my desktop I get a desktop shortcut named:

"vivaldi-browser"

Sans the blue color here for emphasis of course. If I do this with good old Opera 12.18 I get a shortcut named:

"Topics in Vivaldi browser for Windows (1_151) - Vivaldi Forum - Vivaldi Web Browser Community"

Vivaldi uses the same old format Windows desktop shortcut as Opera so this should be relatively easy to fix…

• This problem with basic functionality is an inexcusable nuisance, and it is enough in and of itself to keep me from using Vivaldi on a regular basis. As a longtime Opera user who expected good things from Vivaldi, this bug in a basic function is a real disappointment. Vivaldi, FIX THIS!

GN

• @vivabrowser -- oh ffs stop petulantly whining; do you think Devs will jump to attention because you moan so? (a) V is still in its infancy despite already being fantastically capable, (b) this [Bug VB-22040] was fixed in the latest SS [1.5.658.21 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)]; are you using that?
    .......................................................................................................
    Tower's SSD OS = Linux Maui 2 "Blue Tang" x64 Plasma 5.8.2.

• @Steffie
    "Petulantly whining"? No, complaining---consult a dictionary. Thinking the "Devs will jump to attention" because I complain? No, exercising my freedom of speech, thank you.

So, "V is still in its infancy despite already being fantastically capable", is it? Fanboy alert! This is (ironically) the same kind of blindly defensive response to criticism heard on the Opera forum when Opera changed from Presto to Blink. "Still in its infancy"? Yeah, I suppose it is, in regard to the lack of customization and features that longtime Opera users such as myself would have expected from Vivaldi, but not in terms of chronology. "Fantastically capable"? Capable, but "fantastically"? Really? (No.)

As for my version, I'm using the one that is currently being promoted at the top of the Vivaldi home page and is the "recommended", current stable release, 1.4.589.38. Your stating that the bug was fixed in 1.5.658.21, the latest snapshot/rc, as if that's what everyone should be using is nonsense.

• No personal attacks please. Stick to the issue at hand. I see the behavior described in this thread as a major shortcoming and that it's OK to bump this up.

@vivabrowser -

Hi. I'm Ayespy, Vivaldi moderator.

You are using version 1.4. That is fine. 1.5 has the fix you are looking for. It will not be backported to 1.4. None of the bug fixes or features released in later versions are backported to earlier versions unless they are critical security issues or something that breaks basic usability. What you know from being informed that it's fixed in 1.5, is that the developers were aware of the issue, fixed it, and don't need to be reminded of it any more.

I'm sorry to read you feel so upset about Vivaldi's pace of development. I understand your frustration of unfinished features and it takes time to make things awesome (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Opera took more than 10 years to be where they are today).

Our first two rules for Vivaldi's platform are:
    "Treat others with respect.
    Be courteous."
    https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/rules
    Therefore we kindly ask you to tone it down a bit. Resorting to terms such as "fanboy" and "nonsense" to refer to users or their ideas is disrespectful.

If insulting posting continues, we will have to suspend or ban your profile. We value user feedback, and our community members are beyond valuable in the feedback and support you all provide to Vivaldi’s development. Please help us to keep the community courteous and respectful.

Thanks,
    Ayespy

• @Ayespy said:

What you know from being informed that it's fixed in 1.5, is that the developers were aware of the issue, fixed it, and don't need to be reminded of it any more.

Yes, I know that now. Your choice of words as to how I learned about it—that is, "being informed"—is interesting, which leads me to my next point.

@Ayespy said:

Our first two rules for Vivaldi's platform are:
    "Treat others with respect.
    Be courteous."
    Therefore we kindly ask you to tone it down a bit. Resorting to terms such as "fanboy" and "nonsense" to refer to users or their ideas is disrespectful.
    If insulting posting continues, we will have to suspend or ban your profile.

So, evidently you found the very insulting response to my initial post by the poster who said—before I said the things that you objected to—"oh ffs stop petulantly whining" acceptable, as you said nothing about it. Yet my use of the words "fanboy" and "nonsense" in response to that very insulting post are sufficient for you to threaten me with being banned. Again, interesting.

I will mention, by the way, that in my many years on forums, I've never received the kind of warning that you have just issued to me, much less actually been banned. The way you respond to what I'm saying here will tell me (and others) a lot about this forum.

@vivabrowser - I did not see the prior post. I did see yours. The language in neither of them is acceptable. Steffie has a long-time reputation as a Vivaldi user being helpful to other users. She also has been cautioned in the past to cool her jets. Perhaps she will apologize for her unkind words (you reading, Steffie?) now. You are being cautioned now. I know that courtesy and respect are no part of the lingua franca of the web over all, but they are expected here. There are, I think, twelve of us mods, and we don't each have the same threshold for what we will warn about,

I will say, though, that language like "This problem with basic functionality is an inexcusable nuisance, and it is enough in and of itself to keep me from using Vivaldi on a regular basis. As a longtime Opera user who expected good things from Vivaldi, this bug in a basic function is a real disappointment. Vivaldi, FIX THIS!" is immoderate and well-calculated to generate an equally immoderate response. No one around here yells orders at the developers or calls their work "inexcusable" - not even Jon - and he owns the joint. You came right in the door scolding and giving orders. Not the way to win friends and influence people. So how's about you take a deep breath and start over?

• @Ayespy said:

@vivabrowser - I did not see the prior post. I did see yours. The language in neither of them is acceptable.

Thank you.

I will say, though, that language like "This problem with basic functionality is an inexcusable nuisance, and it is enough in and of itself to keep me from using Vivaldi on a regular basis. As a longtime Opera user who expected good things from Vivaldi, this bug in a basic function is a real disappointment. Vivaldi, FIX THIS!" is immoderate and well-calculated to generate an equally immoderate response. No one around here yells orders at the developers or calls their work "inexcusable" - not even Jon - and he owns the joint. You came right in the door scolding and giving orders.

Having been an active, longtime member of various browser forums, I completely understand where you're coming from. However, I want to say two things. One, my saying "Vivaldi, FIX THIS!" was not meant to be taken literally, as an order to the developers. What I was intending to convey was my belief that this very basic aspect of browser functionality is something that should have been fixed long ago and that because it is such a basic aspect of browser functionality, it should, in my opinion, be fixed immediately. However, I get your point and accept that I should have made my point in a more moderate, polite way. Two, although I will certainly comply with your instructions not to use the word "inexcusable" in the future, I do not, as a matter of principle, agree with you that the use of the word "inexcusable" is something that should never be used on this forum as a description for a flaw—any flaw—in the browser. You are in effect saying that no matter how egregious the error, it should always be regarded as something that is excusable. I may have been wrong in saying that this particular flaw was "inexcusable"—indeed, I was writing hastily and regret using that word—but the idea that no flaw, no matter how bad it is, can ever be called "inexcusable" is something that seems to be taking politeness, which I do regard as being a very important element in discussions (especially nowadays), to an extreme. But, again, out of respect for the forum's right to set whatever rules it chooses, I will not use that word or anything like it here again.

Not the way to win friends and influence people. So how's about you take a deep breath and start over?

Agreed. Will do.

And to think that this whole, trivial dispute could've been avoided with a simple "Known Issues List"... 🙄

Oh, and by the way:

@Ayespy said in Dragging address to a desktop shortcut names it the domain instead of page title:

You might want to update your copypasta's. 😁 https://forum.vivaldi.net/rules doesn't work either. 😉

• @pafflick said in:

And to think that this whole, trivial dispute could've been avoided with a simple "Known Issues List"...

Sounds good to me. :^) I suggested something similar to this in the Opera forum years ago. It went nowhere.

@vivabrowser said in Dragging address to a desktop shortcut names it the domain instead of page title:

Sounds good to me. :^) I suggested something similar to this in the Opera forum years ago. It went nowhere.

But Vivaldi community is different from Opera, as they (supposedly) listen to our voices. 😉

• @Ayespy said:

@vivabrowser -

1.5 has the fix you are looking for.

@Ayespy
    I'm running 1.5.658.44 (Stable channel) (32-bit), and the issue persists. Specifically, it occurred on two of the five webpages that I tried to drag to the desktop this morning. The two that failed worked fine with Chrome.

• Do the developers know that this issue persists in the 32-bit version?

• @vivabrowser I can't reproduce it, but to be sure they know you could tell them :)
    Be sure to include specific details (urls, how you select and drag etc.).
    Bug Report

• @TbGbe Thanks, I'll do that.

FWIW, here's an example:
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/operating-systems-software/windows-7-vs-window-10-comparison-review-3617974/

Vivaldi fails the "page title" test here; other Chromium-based browsers, including Opera, do it correctly.

• I'm using 1.6.689.40 (Stable channel) (64-bit), and have been using Vivaldi since its first public release, this issue has never been resolved in any version of Vivaldi I've used, ever. Pretty ridiculous considering this works in Chrome and even antique versions of Opera.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.