Browser freezes after every URL



  • I have been very excited to try out Vivaldi as a potential replacement for FireFox, but Vivaldi is doing something very strange: Every time I type in an address, or click a link, or a button, or enter something into the search box (basically, anything that starts loading a new page), Vivaldi stops doing anything for about 8-15 seconds. And what I mean is not loading, not waiting for connection - not at all. It just nothing happens. Then, after this 8-15 seconds passes, it comes alive and starts loading. The content of the window goes blank, the progress bar appears in the address bar, and new elements of the page start appearing. FireFox is slooow with +40 tabs opened (which is why I want to replace it), but it never had this strange freeze phase before it started loading the page. Is this normal in Vivaldi?


  • Vivaldi Team

    @lockheed:

    I have been very excited to try out Vivaldi as a potential replacement for FireFox, but Vivaldi is doing something very strange:

    Every time I type in an address, or click a link, or a button, or enter something into the search box (basically, anything that starts loading a new page), Vivaldi stops doing anything for about 8-15 seconds. And what I mean is not loading, not waiting for connection - not at all. It just nothing happens.

    Then, after this 8-15 seconds passes, it comes alive and starts loading. The content of the window goes blank, the progress bar appears in the address bar, and new elements of the page start appearing.

    FireFox is slooow with +40 tabs opened (which is why I want to replace it), but it never had this strange freeze phase before it started loading the page. Is this normal in Vivaldi?

    Which distro are you on and could I have the exact build # you are using? I will try to reproduce what you are seeing. I have seen something similar lately, but not been able to reproduce it reliably so it has been difficult to report. Maybe your situation may shed some more light on this.

    And it is not supposed to be that way at all. Vivaldi is still a beta so there are going to be issues until we reach stable, but they are further in between these days! :)



  • I am on Arch linux.

    Vivaldi 1.0.303.52 (Beta) beta (64-bit)
    Revision c6b4bb58782433cc339d51906bc9ed8224f97156
    OS Linux
    Blink 537.36 (@2d42fa5f6c65518a3f4698f0301fc54c20e91e05)
    JavaScript V8 4.5.103.34
    Flash 19.0.0.245
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/45.0.2454.99 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.0.303.52
    Command Line /usr/bin/vivaldi –ppapi-flash-path=/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=19.0.0.245 --always-authorize-plugins --enable-npapi --disable-translate --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --enable-smooth-scrolling
    Executable Path /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-beta
    Profile Path /home/user/.config/vivaldi/Default


  • Vivaldi Team

    @lockheed:

    I am on Arch linux.

    Vivaldi 1.0.303.52 (Beta) beta (64-bit)
    Revision c6b4bb58782433cc339d51906bc9ed8224f97156
    OS Linux
    Blink 537.36 (@2d42fa5f6c65518a3f4698f0301fc54c20e91e05)
    JavaScript V8 4.5.103.34
    Flash 19.0.0.245
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/45.0.2454.99 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.0.303.52
    Command Line /usr/bin/vivaldi –ppapi-flash-path=/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=19.0.0.245 --always-authorize-plugins --enable-npapi --disable-translate --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --enable-smooth-scrolling
    Executable Path /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-beta
    Profile Path /home/user/.config/vivaldi/Default

    Arch. Okay! :) We have a dev running Arch daily. I will bring it up with him and see if he can reproduce. I'm on Ubuntu and can't

    //C


  • Moderator

    Try last snapshot from Ike Devolder's Archlinux repo at http://repo.herecura.eu/


  • Vivaldi Team

    Hi,

    Looks to me like this problem is resolved in later developer builds for Linux. I am not longer able to reproduce it. So next public snapshot should have it resolved although I do not know how up to date AUR is and how soon you'll have access to the latest snapshot from there.



  • Unfortunately, there has been several version updates but the problem remains.



  • Ok, guys. So it has been 10 months since I reported this problem and it still persists.

    You type in or paste in a URL, you press enter, the browser just sits there for 7-10 seconds doing absolutely nothing, and only then it starts loading the page. I tried with Vivaldi-shapshots, I tried with stable Vivaldi. I tried fresh user profile.

    It does not matter. It changes nothing.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.