More fixes and another minor Chromium bump – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2088.7

• @Steffie You're back! It was a quiet lovely place here without you. All threads on topic, no distressed user slamming the door, no mods left in despair, no crying CM about to resign… 🤭

• @hlehyaric I am a human stain.

• @Steffie You're the forum's devil 😈.

• Whilst i slept, did someone at least solve the OT / chitchat conundrum?

Also, who was that Bad Person again who so confidently posted yesterday in this very thread that we were getting our new snappie in about two hours? [Rhetorical question; i know who it was, & they're OFF my xmas card list now].

• @Steffie said in More fixes and another minor Chromium bump – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2088.7:

Whilst i slept, did someone at least solve the OT / chitchat conundrum?

As you can see, the answer is no. 😀

BTW, while you slept, everybody else left. 😅

• @hlehyaric said in More fixes and another minor Chromium bump – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2088.7:

the answer is no

Lazy irresponsible bunch of ne'er-do-wells...

while you slept, everybody else left

That's most odd -- usually that's the effect whenever i arrive anywhere.

• @Steffie The effect happens here too. Right now, it doesn't look like a Madonna concert…

• @Steffie said in More fixes and another minor Chromium bump – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2088.7:

did someone at least solve the OT / chitchat conundrum?

@Ornorm interrupted it by posting ON Topic!!

• @TbGbe That nasty mean man! Can't someone doooo something?

• @TbGbe I'm boxed...

alt text

• @Ornorm Hilarious!

• @Ornorm So true! You were so disappointing… 😉

• @hlehyaric I agree. TBH, On Topic posts should be forbidden in this forum.

• @Ornorm It's already the case, isn't it?

• @Ornorm That's what happens when you ignore our Dragon

@Gwen-Dragon

You all can post as you like.

• @npro said in More fixes and another minor Chromium bump – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2088.7:

Btw, I never understood why all those beautiful comments we make have to be displayed on the original blog place, outside the forum's (artificial sense) of intimacy, is kinda embarrassing

I have been kinda sweating about this ever since you posted it. Whilst i technically "knew" this was the case, most of the time, with our day-to-day posts & banter i tend to completely forget it. Your reminder thus came as a bit of a shock. On other technical fora i use, you need to explicitly access the forum itself in order then to be able to read the correspondence, which i like coz it delivers participants a sense of "sheltered community".

Given our comparatively extended wait for this next Snapshot [historically i believe other times we've had rather longer delays than this, but this time seems acute given the sheer annoyance of the tabs-management bug], we've all clearly become bored waiting & succumbed to cabin-fever. IMO that's fine & ok... but realising now that ALL of our silliness herein is "public", is a bit sobering.

If it were technically possible, i'd prefer that the "public" facing blog announcement threads only captured & showed comments arising from that same domain, NOT also those from within the forum itself.

• @Steffie BTW, I took a look at the blog post, cause I completely overlooked that. Not that it really matters, however it sounds like a little intrusive that our private conversations here (giggles) are public there for anyone to see.

• @hlehyaric Yes exactly, that's what @npro & i meant... it feels "uncomfortable" IMO. Yes i know, i know, one "solution" is to never ever ever go OT in any way, then the "public gaze" becomes irrelevant. However tbh that's boring & dry. I honestly do not see why tech fora cannot be simultaneously techie, helpful, fun & warm with bonhomie & camaraderie... but it should be "sheltered".

• @Steffie It's after reading @npro's post that I went to see. You're definitively right: only comments from users who post specifically there should be showed there.

never ever ever go OT in any way

Rather drastic, isn't it? Far too drastic.

• Given i was not able to update my Snapshot today after all to chromium 87 😭, in my sulking i decided to instead update my Chromium to 87 😜. Then i explored its Flags for anything of interest. I found these [i am not saying that all of these came only with 87, in fact i know for certain some didn't. I've highlighted those that interested me that i'd not noticed before].

Tab Groups Auto Create
    Automatically creates groups for users, if tab groups are enabled. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
    #tab-groups-auto-create

Tab Groups Collapse Freezing
    Experimental tab freezing upon collapsing a tab group. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
    #tab-groups-collapse-freezing

Enable 'New' badge on menu items
    When enabled, allows 'New' badge to help users identify menu items which access new functionality. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
    #enable-new-badge-on-menu-items

Enable user data snapshots
    Enables taking snapshots of the user data directory after a Chrome update and restoring them after a version rollback. – Mac, Windows, Linux
    #enable-user-data-snapshot

Edit passwords in settings
    Enables password editing in settings. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
    #edit-passwords-in-settings

In conjunction with these slightly older ones:

Tab Groups
    Allows users to organize tabs into visually distinct groups, e.g. to separate tabs associated with different tasks. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
    #tab-groups

Tab Groups Collapse
    Allows a tab group to be collapsible and expandable, if tab groups are enabled. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
    #tab-groups-collapse

Tab Hover Cards
    Enables a popup containing tab information to be visible when hovering over a tab. This will replace tooltips for tabs. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
    #tab-hover-cards

Tab Hover Card Images
    Shows a preview image in tab hover cards, if tab hover cards are enabled. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
    #tab-hover-card-images

...it now means that Chromium's native Tabs Management has become quite impressive. Some of us [in an older thread that today i entirely failed to locate, & in which almost certainly i should have posted this post] noted that it was too laborious to create tab groups manually with their earlier subset of Tabs flags. However with the ones i've newly found today [notably #tab-groups-auto-create which works elegantly, automatically, as described] Chromium feels every bit as competent as Vivaldi when its auto tab-stacking is enabled.

For me as a tab "Verticaller" [& limiting my comment solely to tab management, not the entire browser holistically], Chromium remains unattractive compared to Vivaldi. However if/when Chromium eventually also provides a good vertical tabs option, & if Vivaldi's sought-after tabs management improvements still have not materialised by then, IMO Chromium would be a real threat. 😱

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.