Linux dependency libvulkan.so.1

• Unable to install Vivaldi on Oracle Linux 4.14.35-2025.400.9.el7uek.x86_64 #2 SMP

---> Package vivaldi-snapshot.x86_64 0:3.4.2038.4-1 will be installed
    --> Processing Dependency: libvulkan.so.1()(64bit) for package: vivaldi-snapshot-3.4.2038.4-1.x86_64
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Package: vivaldi-snapshot-3.4.2038.4-1.x86_64 (vivaldi)
    Requires: libvulkan.so.1()(64bit)
    You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

• Hmm, I don't see the need for that dependency here... what's your GPU and driver? Did you somehow use the switch --use-vulkanon a previous Vivaldi version and uninstalled?

libvulkan.so.1 is part of vulkan-icd-loader, can you try installing that?

ldconfig -p | grep libvulkan.so.1 shows nothing right?

• ** INSTALLING latest stable version of Vivaldi RPM 64bit ****
    getting the same message

yum install vivaldi-stable-3.3*
    Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
    Examining vivaldi-stable-3.3.2022.45-1.x86_64.rpm: vivaldi-stable-3.3.2022.45-1.x86_64
    Marking vivaldi-stable-3.3.2022.45-1.x86_64.rpm to be installed
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package vivaldi-stable.x86_64 0:3.3.2022.45-1 will be installed
    --> Processing Dependency: libvulkan.so.1()(64bit) for package: vivaldi-stable-3.3.2022.45-1.x86_64
    Error: Package: vivaldi-stable-3.3.2022.45-1.x86_64 (/vivaldi-stable-3.3.2022.45-1.x86_64)

yum can be configured to try to resolve such errors by temporarily enabling
    disabled repos and searching for missing dependencies.
    To enable this functionality please set 'notify_only=0' in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/search-disabled-repos.conf

Error: Package: vivaldi-stable-3.3.2022.45-1.x86_64 (/vivaldi-stable-3.3.2022.45-1.x86_64)
    You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
    You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
    [root@greywolf Downloads]#

ldconfig -p | grep libvulkan.so.1 shows nothing right? This is correct.

• @socratec said in Linux dependency libvulkan.so.1:

Oracle Linux

Why?

• I totaly forgot about this old issue. I can confirm on RHEL7.5. On our DELL server I have installed Vivaldi 2.x, but can't update to 3.x because it needs libvulkan.

Chromium 85 installed with no problems.

• @enc0re Vivalidi does not work for Redhat or Oracle 7 linux server versions. These are very common Linux distribution for business installation. It seems that only Firefox is really a true Linux browser on most distributions.

• @socratec V works perfectly in Arch, Arch-derivatives, & SparkyLinux [=Debian 10 Testing, from which i suspect it likely also works fine in vanilla Debian Stable & Testing too]. Fwiw.

• @socratec Maybe you didn't read properly 🙂 But I'm using right now Vivaldi on RHEL, but only version 2.x. It works without any problem.

If latest Chromium works, then something related to Vivaldi GUI needs to have libvulkan lib.

• @enc0re
    Hi, it is may the easiest to report it to the bug tracker.
    libvulkan.so.1 is showing as dependency on Opensuse Tumbleweed, too.
    I use rpm to install Vivaldi not Yum or Zypper but cant remember which packets was installed during Vivaldi install.
    It is Years ago.

Cheers, mib

• @Steffie Seems like user's knowledge about Linux and it's distros is minimal. I wouldn't waste more time on it.

• Just open your terminal then its simply. sudo apt-get install libvulkan.so.1
    Then install the browser as you normally do with all software with a package manager.

• @stormwise Hmmm, nooooo ... attention to detail kinda sorta matters.

@socratec said in Linux dependency libvulkan.so.1:

Oracle Linux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Linux

It is compiled from Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) source code, replacing Red Hat branding with Oracle's

Update method	YUM (PackageKit)[2]
    Package manager	RPM Package Manager

Ergo, OP is unlikely to get real far trying an old apt command.

A source possibility [assuming OP already knows it's not in the OL repos]?
    https://pkgs.org/download/libvulkan.so.1()(64bit)

• @Steffie said in Linux dependency libvulkan.so.1:

[assuming OP already knows it's not in the OL repos]?

server distro and newer packages (suited for desktop) => welcome to dependency hell🔱 😹

let's sum it up so far:

• Oracle Linux is a server distro meant for data centres, databases etc. with certain dependencies not needed by design
    • Oracle Linux is a server distro meant for stability with not the latest packages by design
    • A true system admin (or a very experienced user) knows how to set up things and solve dependencies on a server distro
    • user is not a system admin
    • user is average Joe
    • => `Vivaldi is to blame

😂

`Google Chrome, anything with a GUI on top of vanilla Chromium

• @npro Ja. Unless OP has a really amazeballs reason for using OL, considering the richness of [better?] alternatives freely available, then i am left with a nagging question of ... wtf?

Additionally:

JOINED 7 DAYS AGO LAST ONLINE 5 DAYS AGO

I am no longer gonna follow this thread... it seems a bit exasperatingly pointless.

The user root has to know what he does if he installs a desktop software on a server distro!

@socratec Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the trouble.

May be this issue is a bug.

Please read

carefully and report the bug to Vivaldi bugtracker.

Again thank you for using Vivaldi.

@enc0re Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the trouble.

May be this issue is a bug.

Please read

carefully and report the bug to Vivaldi bugtracker.

Again thank you for using Vivaldi.

• @Gwen-Dragon Bugreport created.
    (VB-72565) Cannot update/install Vivaldi Stable from 2.x to 3.x on Linux. Dependency for libvulkan is missing.

Maybe I should specify RHEL/CentOS in title as I specified in bug report.

@enc0re said in Linux dependency libvulkan.so.1:

@Gwen-Dragon Bugreport created.
    (VB-72565) Cannot update/install Vivaldi Stable from 2.x to 3.x on Linux. Dependency for libvulkan is missing.

Thanks for reporting.

Maybe I should specify RHEL/CentOS in title as I specified in bug report.

I can change this.
    Which RHEL and CentOS version?

• @Gwen-Dragon RHEL 7.5, CentOS 7.5 also I think. I can try to create VM with RHEL 7.7 (can't use RHEL 7.8).

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.