The challenges facing ethical tech companies

• Vivaldi Team

In a world where tech products are our lifeline to the world, what challenges face those who build them? Jon von Tetzchner, co-founder and CEO of Vivaldi browser talks to Whereby co-founder Ingrid Odegaard about privacy, Norwegian work culture, and designing products for the community.

Click here to see the full blog post

• Ambassador

@OlgaA, an very interesting interview with the message that convinces me more and more that I have made the right decision to use Vivaldi, not only for the functions, but for the ethics and business model that I can only applaud.

• I read the interesting article, which linked to an earlier one, which linked to an older one again.

This interested me:
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/how-we-count-our-users/

Next, it is useful to know how long someone has been using Vivaldi. We want to make a browser that people want to use in the long run, so checking that there are enough people out there that stick with us is quite important. So, we add the installation week to each request.

I discovered & began using V in early Feb 2015 [TP1]. I'm guessing that in that very early stage of code maturity there was likely no installation week request. If so, does that mean that your oldest public-release users have flown under the radar?

I sincerely acknowledge the gravity of the situation, nevertheless this also amused me:

We are beginning to see the consequences of the huge amount of tracking that is happening, particularly on how profiles are being built and how those profiles are being used to target ads towards us.

Teehee, i had to get out my dictionary & look up what this strange word ads means ... as someone who listens only to public not commercial radio, watches [via streaming] only public not commercial tv, has always used NoScript then uBlockOrigin then uMatrix in all her browsers [none of which has ever been, nor ever will be, Gargle's Chrome]... i've not been exposed to ads for maybe a couple of decades. It always shocks me when i recall that many others just don't care.

“We are building a browser for our friends”

Ever since i read those beautiful words at TP1, i've been enamoured with Vivaldi.

Thank you, Jon & Team.
    💜 ♥

• @Steffie said in The challenges facing ethical tech companies:

If so, does that mean that your oldest public-release users have flown under the radar?

They could always use the "Member Since" date on these forums (fora?).

• @TbGbe said in The challenges facing ethical tech companies:

@Steffie said in The challenges facing ethical tech companies:

If so, does that mean that your oldest public-release users have flown under the radar?

They could always use the "Member Since" date on these forums (fora?).

These forums appeared many months - maybe a year or more - before the browser was even discussed in public. I don't know if Jon and the other ex-Opera guys and gals already planned a new browser, but the first I heard of Vivaldi was when someone on the Opera forums said "Hey! Jon's opened a blog/forum for us to go to!".

IIRC it was some months later Opera said they were closing down MyOpera and Vivaldi offered a migration tool for people to bring their old blogs here. It was several months after that before the first public Vivaldi tech preview dropped.

• @mossman OK but if they are still active here (and using Vivaldi); surely that counts as "A User" for however long before the addition of installation week??

• 6th
    "Because of competition, we push each other!" So very true. I remember when IE 6 came out and it did not change for years, others innovated but IE did not change at all and things were getting hard coded for IE6 (just like now with the Chrome only coding) ended up making the apps bad as when IE 7 came out those were completely broken or when you tried to use another browser.

• @OlgaA said in The challenges facing ethical tech companies:

What challenges face those who climb them?
    Jon's Mtn.png

• Love it

• @BlackDaug Climbing the hills and mountains of iceland in just a suit...Im impressed.lol

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.