Extension Tab Organization

• I love the browser but there is one thing that I haven't seen fixed at this point and that is the extension tabs in the toolbar cannot be organized by dragging them. Even when you activate them in a certain order that you would like them, they seem to just go back to their own order. I hope you guys can fix this. It may seem like not a big deal but it is easier for myself to have certain extensions next to each other based on what its function is. Thanks. Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/56757/Screenshot2015-11-1209.33.21.png[/img]

The code to enable this in Vivaldi is not written yet.

• Is this something that is going to be introduced soon?? Just curious. Also when I do enable the extensions even in a certain order, if I relaunch the browser they all go back to a random order.

Just an FYI.

• You mentioned the FYI in the first post. Anyway…

I have no idea when Vivaldi team will get to it, but in the meantime, there is a possible (but clunky) workaround.

It would require using the instructions from the Vivaldi UI Customisations thread to inject custom CSS into Vivaldi.

The following CSS would reorder the buttons:

.extensions-wrapper {
        display: flex;
        flex-direction: row;
    }

.extensions-wrapper > [data-reactid$=":$0"] {order: 1;}
    .extensions-wrapper > [data-reactid$=":$1"] {order: 0;}

```etc. for as many buttons as you have.

Explanation: the SPAN elements containing the buttons have data-reactid attributes of
    .0.1.0.1:8.0:$0
    .0.1.0.1:8.0:$1
    .0.1.0.1:8.0:$2
    etc.

Rather than making any assumption that the ".0.1.0.1:8.0" numbering will remain stable between Vivaldi versions, I'm selecting just based on the end part.

The problem is that you would first have to know what the default order would be, to know the ":$[someinteger]" part, then you can set the manual order. This would presumably get messed up if you add a new extension that has a button that throws off the previous default order.

Perhaps a more robust solution would be to inject some JS to give the SPAN elements a "data-title" attribute based on the title (i.e. tooltip) attribute of the single button each contains. Then the SPANs coud be selected with [data-title*="some text"]. For example the google Translate extension's button has

title="Google Translate

Left-click to translate!
    Right-click for options."

• Any update on this being added so you can move the extensions in the order you like??

@magicfortune - None yet.

• @Ayespy Also they should add the capability of moving the web panel icons as well in whatever order you like.

@magicfortune - All of these things will come in time. The browser is still quite immature.

• @Isildur said in Extension Tab Organization:

You mentioned the FYI in the first post. Anyway…
    I have no idea when Vivaldi team will get to it, but in the meantime, there is a possible (but clunky) workaround.
    It would require using the instructions from the Vivaldi UI Customisations thread to inject custom CSS into Vivaldi.
    The following CSS would reorder the buttons:

.extensions-wrapper {
        display: flex;
        flex-direction: row;
    }

.extensions-wrapper > [data-reactid$=":$0"] {order: 1;}
    .extensions-wrapper > [data-reactid$=":$1"] {order: 0;}

etc. for as many buttons as you have.

Explanation: the SPAN elements containing the buttons have data-reactid attributes of
    .0.1.0.1:8.0:$0
    .0.1.0.1:8.0:$1
    .0.1.0.1:8.0:$2
    etc.

Rather than making any assumption that the ".0.1.0.1:8.0" numbering will remain stable between Vivaldi versions, I'm selecting just based on the end part.

The problem is that you would first have to know what the default order would be, to know the ":$[someinteger]" part, then you can set the manual order. This would presumably get messed up if you add a new extension that has a button that throws off the previous default order.

Perhaps a more robust solution would be to inject some JS to give the SPAN elements a "data-title" attribute based on the title (i.e. tooltip) attribute of the single button each contains. Then the SPANs coud be selected with [data-title*="some text"]. For example the google Translate extension's button has

title="Google Translate

Left-click to translate!
    Right-click for options."

I see that my previous code (whose PRE-formatting got messed up in the forum software transition) no longer works -- Vivaldi no longer puts in data-reactid attributes in the SPAN elements that the CSS can latch onto.

It would be nice to be able to still edit that post (aside from just correcting the formatting as I have in its quotation in this reply) to put in an update note warning people not to bother trying that method now.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.