Honeymoon with Vivaldi sync is ending in divorce

• Came to the conclusion that it's best if I save a copy of Vivaldi data files & folders in the cloud and download them when I want.

Is the Default folder and content interchangeable as is between Windows Linux and Android?

To be clear, my use of Vivaldi's features is basic. I evaluate them in the context of my needs, but use very few, if any. I rely on an up to date password file and bookmarks, both of which are also backed up separately.

• @ineuw said in Honeymoon with Vivaldi sync is ending in divorce:

Is the Default folder and content interchangeable as is between Windows Linux and Android?

Hi and no, some files are working but some important as passwords are encrypted.
    I don´t understand what you meant in the title but sync is the only way to get passwords on all platforms.
    Backups are another thing.

Cheers, mib

• @mib2berlin, much thanks for the encryption reminder. I am aware of the advantages of syncing settings and hopefully it will keep on being expanded and include additional settings.

But the time spent in cleaning up current automatic sync errors are not worth it. I was using Vivaldi on Linux Mint all day yesterday, and after finding duplicate logins with both old passwords and new passwords, (seemingly inherited from failed Android syncs), I reset the sync, logged out and closed Vivaldi. Then moved the "Default\Sync Data" and "Default\Sync Extension Settings" folders to the Desktop. Restarted Vivaldi, logged into sync, reset it again, and logged out without syncing,

Vivaldi recreated the two deleted Sync folders, but they both differed from the first copies on the Desktop.

Restarted Vivaldi again and the sync is 100% accurate again. But who knows for how long? I am writing this now from the Windows 10 Desktop which was synced with the fresh data from Linux Mint.

• @ineuw
    Some reported problems with sync but I use it on all platforms without major problems since Vivaldi implement it.
    Only thing is doubled notes from syncing with Android therefor I disabled it on my mobile.
    And .... if I sync a very old system again, than I got troubles, I start with a clean profile then to not mess up my other systems.

Cheers, mib

• @mib2berlin said in Honeymoon with Vivaldi sync is ending in divorce:

@ineuw
    Some reported problems with sync but I use it on all platforms without major problems since Vivaldi implement it.
    Only thing is doubled notes from syncing with Android therefor I disabled it on my mobile.
    And .... if I sync a very old system again, than I got troubles, I start with a clean profile then to not mess up my other systems.

Cheers, mib

My disappointment is because I don't have an "old system". Vivaldi is always the latest standard update/release. By now, I know how fix the problems, it's the amount of time it takes that disturbs me. Nothing can convince me that keeping old password data hidden/lost somewhere and then restoring it is a good practice. If I updated an account today, I don't want to know about the old data that existed yesterday.

• Also uninstalled Google Sync software on Windows and overGrive on Linux, and began using FreeFileSync on both Linux and Windows. I don't want to automate it - yet. Rather have full version control of both the local and the cloud storage.

I venture to state that there is some connect between the sync logic of Google Sync, Vivaldi, and possibly Firefox "Sync" which "sank" for me years ago. To replace that, I wrote scripts in windows and Linux which saves and restores the relevant files to Google drive.

Now, I want to back up the Vivaldi files that are necessary and changeable between Windows and Linux. Is there such a list? Managing script files is far less time-consuming. than tracking down of errors in syncing.

• @ineuw
    Hi again, there is a list > https://help.vivaldi.com/article/full-reset-of-vivaldi/
    We spoke about passwords not working and AFAIK preferences are also not changeable.
    I will have a look at FreeFileSync, I use Grive at Linux and start Google sync manually at moment.

Cheers, mib

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.