Is it Linux Mint 20 - why is Vivaldi getting slower

• There are sites that take forever to load but when I open Firefox the same page quickly loads. Heck even opening the Vivaldi.net page took 20 seconds. I never used to have these issues with Vivaldi. Some differences are the update to Linux Mint 20 and updates to Vivaldi.

Hm? At the moment I can't remember the key combo to view Vivaldi memory use.

Maybe some setting changed but I'm about ready to go back to FF.

• Ambassador

@Urdrwho10 said in Is it Linux Mint 20 - why is Vivaldi getting slower:

At the moment I can't remember the key combo to view Vivaldi memory use.

Try Shift+Escape, or Ctrl+F1 for the Cheat-sheet.

Cheat-sheet.png

• Try clearing the cache (Ctl-Shift-Del or just delete all ~/.cache (which, obviously, contains also other apps’ cache)).

• @Urdrwho10 In addition to the good cache-clearing process, it might be interesting to try your target sites [after first doing the cache, & if that did not solve it for you] from a new test profile you create now in V. If that is also unsatisfactory that would lead further investigation in a different direction than if your new profile were to prove nice & snappy.

• Thinks for some info on shortcuts and clearing cache.

I cleared cache and also looked at the memory use.

Here is an example. It has been one minute since I put the Https site address in for my online bank. It is sitting still, doing nothing.

Went over to FF while waiting and bang-bang site loaded right away.

I have adblockers disabled for my bank site.

• @Urdrwho10
    Hi, there is something serious on your system/Vivaldi or a corrupt profile.
    Last you can easy check with a Guest profile.

https://help.vivaldi.com/article/guest-view/

Cheers, mib

• This post is deleted!

• Well I tried the guest mode and didn't see much difference. I'm on Linux Mint DE 4 right now and I don't think I am seeing the lag that I see in LM 20.

Could it be the graphics?

My LMDE4 is Mate
    My LM 20 is Cinnamon

I may give the LM 20 fall back mode a try which is Gnome.

• I use 32bit puppy linux and vivaldi runs superbly on here.Linux mint is rather bloated in my opinion..puppy is nice and lean.

• @Priest72 Yep LM Cinnamon is resource intensive but I have enough ram that it works well for me.

I've tried Puppy in the past, works well but it is a little too lean.

I only noticed this sluggishness lately.

• @Urdrwho10 One of the problems i had with mint is the constant disk thrashing and i could hear the disk grinding. It is a very nice distro but all in all i did quite a bit of distro-hopping and finally decided upon xenial puppy linux.

I have only been using vivaldi for a brief time but i must say it is the best browser i have used on puppy and i was actually surprised how well it runs.
    Have you by any chance used bleachbit on mint...?..it may help but just be careful with it.

• @Priest72 said in Is it Linux Mint 20 - why is Vivaldi getting slower:

xenial puppy linux

I never let my fingertips touch bleachbit.

I've been playing with Linux for many, many years. A while ago I stopped using bleachbit because so many times it went (or I went) to aggressive and it messed things up.

LMDE4 runs well and very stable. LMDE was my daily for a while and then I started using Cinnamon again just for the pretty things and to use up to date items. Maybe I'll go back to LDME4.

I may look at Puppy again.

Now back to the Vivaldi issue, I don't know why it is doing with it does. It doesn't do it in Opera or Firefox so who knows??

• The other thing it does once in a while and it just did it is to crash. Boom....down it goes.

For years now I've been committed to Vivaldi but for a while I may have to devote time to another browser. For a while and then maybe try back in a while. 😞

• I can report that the recent update may have solved some of the issues I noted.

• @Urdrwho10 Did you update mint recently by any chance.?..i was wondering if an incremental mint update could of solved an issue.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.