MMS messages from phone display emojis as odd characters

• I've noticed with Vivaldi Mail and even with my home ISP's e-mail, when I send an MMS message (which includes emojis) from the mobile phone, to an e-mail address, the mail viewer - whether I use an e-mail app or through the respective web site - displays the emojis as they are (correctly) and also as garbage characters. The stock messaging app as well as Google Messages, treat messages addressed to an e-mail address as MMS messages, not as text/SMS.

Testing emojis. 🙄 ðŸ˜' ðŸ˜

Testing emojis. 🙄 😒 😁

Could there be an explanation as to why this occurs? Is the mail servers' software possibly not treating the e-mail correctly, or perhaps it's an issue with the emojis themselves? Although, when testing this to an e-mail address at AOL/Yahoo, the garbage characters are replaced with the actual emojis, essentially displaying the emojis twice.

• Community Manager

@edwardp thanks for sharing these issues. Since you can reproduce it with your home ISP's email as well, we feel that issue should be fixed on the stock & Google messaging app. ☺ In case you feel otherwises, feel free to report it here: https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues so that the devs from RoundCube can consider it. 🙂

@edwardp I can not test this, but it looks like the MMS service does not encode the characters correctly as Unicode. Thats why the webmail client shows them broken.

@edwardp But i am questioning, If you have such mail, please let you show the source code, copy it and paste with </> button as a code block here.

• Community Manager

@edwardp thanks for sharing these issues. Since you can reproduce it with your home ISP's email as well, we feel that issue should be fixed on the stock & Google messaging app. ☺ In case you feel otherwises, feel free to report it here: https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues so that the devs from RoundCube can consider it. 🙂

• ---boundaryRMS123
    Content-ID:<0000>
    Content-Type:text/html
    Content-Location:smil.xml
    Content-Disposition:inline
    Content-Transfer-Encoding:base64

PGh0bWw+PGhlYWQ+PHRpdGxlPlQtTW9iaWxlPC90aXRsZT48L2hlYWQ+PGJvZHkgbWFyZ2lud2lk
    dGg9IjAiIG1hcmdpbmhlaWdodD0iMCIgbGVmdG1hcmdpbj0iMCIgdG9wbWFyZ2luPSIwIiBiZ2Nv
    bG9yPSIjZmZmZmZmIj48dGFibGUgYm9yZGVyPSIwIiB3aWR0aD0iNjAwIiBjZWxsc3BhY2luZz0i
    MCIgY2VsbHBhZGRpbmc9IjAiPjx0cj4KCQkJCSAgICAgPHRkIHdpZHRoPSI2MDAiIGNvbHNwYW49
    IjIiPjxpbWcgc3JjPSJjaWQ6ZG90dGVkbGluZTYwMC5naWYiIHdpZHRoPSI2MDAiPjwvdGQ+CgkJ
    CQkgICAgIDwvdHI+PGJyPjx0cj48dGQgd2lkdGg9IjYwMCIgY29sc3Bhbj0iMiI+PGltZyBzcmM9
    ImNpZDp0bW9iaWxlc3BhY2UuZ2lmIiB3aWR0aD0iNjAwIiBoZWlnaHQ9IjIwIj48L3RkPjwvdHI+
    PHRyPjx0cj48dGQgY29sc3Bhbj0iMSIgYWxpZ249ImxlZnQiPkVtb2ppIHRlc3Qg8J+YgSDwn5is
    IPCfmYI8L3RkPjwvdHI+IDxUUj4KICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIDxURCB3aWR0aD0zNTAgY29sU3Bh
    bj0xPgogICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgPElNRyBzcmM9ImNpZDp0bW9iaWxlc3BhY2UuZ2lmIiB3aWR0
    aD0iMzUwIiBoZWlnaHQ9IjMwIj4KICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIDwvVEQ+CiAgICAgICAgICAgICAg
    ICA8L1RSPgogICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgPFRSPgogICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgPC9UUj4KICAgICAg
    ICAgICAgICAgIDx0ZCB3aWR0aD0iMjQwIiBiZ2NvbG9yPSIjZjJmMmYyIj4mbmJzcDs8L3RkPgog
    ICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgPC90cj48dHI+PHRkIHdpZHRoPSI2MDAiIGNvbHNwYW49IjIiPjxpbWcg
    c3JjPSJjaWQ6Zm9vdGVyLmdpZiIgd2lkdGg9IjYwMCIgaGVpZ2h0PSIxMDUiPjwvdGQ+PC90cj48
    L3RyPjx0cj48dGQgd2lkdGg9IjYwMCIgY29sc3Bhbj0iMiI+PGltZyBzcmM9ImNpZDp0bW9iaWxl
    c3BhY2UuZ2lmIiB3aWR0aD0iNjAwIiBoZWlnaHQ9IjQwIj48L3RkPjwvdHI+PC90YWJsZT48L2Jv
    ZHk+DQo8L2h0bWw+
    ---boundaryRMS123
    Content-ID:<text_0>
    Content-Type:text/plain;Name="text_0.txt";Charset="utf-8"
    Content-Location:text_0.txt
    Content-Transfer-Encoding:base64

RW1vamkgdGVzdCDwn5iBIPCfmKwg8J+Zgg==
    ---boundaryRMS123

Copied/pasted via Vivaldi Mail.

@edwardp The text/html part has no charset in content-type, thus results to be decoded ascii. The mail was not conform to mail standards.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in MMS messages from phone display emojis as odd characters:

@edwardp The text/html part has no charset in content-type, thus results to be decoded ascii. The mail was not conform to mail standards.

Thank you for looking at it.

Probably best to use ASCII emojis then, if necessary.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.