Extensions on Vivaldi standalone

• @Catweazle I certainly would not trust sourceforge or any other download site.

I personally am very doubtful vivaldi technologies will implement their own extension store as this will just create more workload and besides the chrome web store is just too convenient.
    Which extensions could be created by vivaldi which are not found in the chrome store......?.

Google does create some great free software but i tend to not like it as i find alternatives better.I wouldn't say i don't trust them but i find AMO is a far superior extensions store.

I find it annoying that chrome has such a high usage share when firefox is a better browser.
    Why use chrome when chromium is available...?

• @Priest72 Most people don’t care what browser they are using, therefore they use what everyone else is already on and ∕ or what they are used to. The same reason why people still buy computers with windows preinstalled and never change anything about it. It’s not a matter of importance.

• @Ayespy Why is user numbers of vivaldi important if data is not being utilised and sold...?..
    This is a company and it does not run on fresh air,there has to be revenue and adding sites preinstalled into the speed dial will not do this.
    Anyhow we are going round in ever decreasing circles here and the the truth shall never be known.Personally i don't have a problem if data is used this way and if it keeps the beast fed then that is good.

• @Priest72 said in Extensions on Vivaldi standalone:

@Ayespy Why is user numbers of vivaldi important if data is not being utilised and sold...?.. This is a company and it does not run on fresh air,there has to be revenue and adding sites preinstalled into the speed dial will not do this. ...

The number of users or subscribers is a time-honored method of setting/negotiating 3rd-party rates. In the case of print media, it's used to set advertising rates; for browsers, it can be used to set favored-placement rates (ie, preloaded search engines, preloaded favorites, preloaded speed dial entries, etc). Normally, the number involved in setting rates is merely a single summary of all those using/subscribing to the as-issued product, and presents no user privacy issues whatever. While print-media producers can and often do sell a subscriber's address for 3rd-party use in advertising mailing lists, that's largely the full extent of it. In the case of browsers and their dynamic usage patterns, much more detailed usage can potentially be made of phoned-home user data and sold to 3rd parties - so the integrity of the browser maker and their stated privacy policies are significantly important to the user.

In that regard, Vivaldi has stated their user-data usage and privacy policies quite clearly... and they don't make use of or sell user data for anything other than obtaining an accurate user count. One can either trust them to do what they say or not. Based on a long history of the ethics of key folks in Vivaldi leadership and personal observation of their products, I trust them.

@Priest72 adding custom search engine URLs and pre-installed bookmarks is exactly how they earn apx $1.00/user/annum. If they collected and sold user data like everyone else, they would already be profitable.

• @Ayespy Thank you for that information.
    To be clear i fully understand revenue needs to fund vivaldi and that is just fine.

So using the pre-installed bookmarks would be beneficial to vivaldi.

I am not going to hurl 20 questions at you as it will be annoying.

• @Ayespy Selling user data implies it’s being sold to a third party I assume? All browsers do this, you think this is normal? You might want to row back on that claim, because I believe you can’t back it up.

@luetage I never said I thought it was "normal." It's a crime in my view, but I can't actually do anything about it. I can't find strong evidence that there are ANY browsers other than Vivaldi that literally collect and sell no user data at all. But I'm open to being educated.

• @Ayespy No, it’s the other way around. I asked you to back up your claim that all browsers but Vivaldi are selling user data to third parties.

@Ayespy said in Extensions on Vivaldi standalone:

I can't find strong evidence that there are ANY browsers other than Vivaldi that literally collect and sell no user data at all.

That’s not how it works. You could practically argue and claim anything this way. For example I couldn’t find strong evidence that all NBA players are NOT Russian spies, therefore they are. But I’m open to being educated, bring evidence for each player that they aren’t a spy.

???

Look, I’m sorry, it doesn’t really matter in the end and it’s a silly argument. You’re enthusiastic about Vivaldi and that’s great, but we can’t just blindly throw untenable accusations around, it isn’t needed.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.