Vivaldi eating up memory and heating up computer.

• Hey y'all. I have a 2019 Macbook Pro 16" that is specced to hell and back and yet vivaldi is killing me. When I open the task manager from the tools panel, It shows that GPU process is constantly over 800 MB and all sorts of other things. Is this normal? In Activity monitor Vivaldi Helper Renderer is always on top with numbers like 30. Especially when watching video. Please help?

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 11.38.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 11.39.50 AM.png

• Use Animations (under Window Appearance) off might help a very tiny bit.

What OS version are you on?
    Any example sites you have open? (some can be bad with their site coding)

• @Chas4 Hi, I'm on macos catalina 10.15.5. I'll try the animation thing. It's sortof a constant thing but usually I notice it with YouTube (I use it the most)

• The memory usage you are seeing is normal on any chromium based browser. You can disable "hardware acceleration" to reduce that memory usage if you want.

The real issue is CPU usage, I have been seeing very high CPU usage from Vivaldi on Mac since the last update. Specifically with video sites like Youtube. Fans spin up and the video tends to play choppy.

• @Mcmeman That's what I've been seeing as well. What's strange is my fans don't spin up, I had to download a fan controller so that my legs would stop being burned

• Same problem here, vivaldi uses a lot of CPU and macbook runs hotter than other browsers. No extensions, animations off.

FYI, Mac news sites are reporting that Google is working on more changes to make the underlying Chromium code more power-efficient on macOS. I don't know whether this will also include improvements to how GPU resources are used on MacBook Pros with multiple GPUs.

Vivaldi is based on the Chromium "web engine" and uses that underlying code render web pages and its own UI so, hopefully, Vivaldi will also benefit from those upcoming optimizations as well.

• @xyzzy Thanks for that news! That's great to hear 🙂

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.