Extension crash fix – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1959.3


  • Vivaldi Team

    The last snapshot had a crash related to extensions lacking an icon, so this is a small update to resolve that.

    Click here to see the full blog post



  • First! 😜



  • 🥈



  • @oudstand Oudstanding feat! Also good fix, I fell for the bug more often than I’m willing to admit.



  • 🔥 Fire starter...fourth 🔥



  • @stardepp nice try, better luck next time



  • [Configuable menus]

    typo, please fix 😉



  • Thanks for the quick fix for VB-69125! 👍


  • Vivaldi Team

    @ian-coog: ok



  • [Crash][Regression] Showing extensions lacking an icon (VB-69125)

    thanks, confirmed working on both win10 64bit and win7 32bit. The only "problem" (not actually one, just a weirdness) is that the placeholder icon for the iconless user.js script isn't shown in the dropdown menu, but only in the normal horizontal extension bar.



  • 10th
    Check for update in menu on 3.2.1957.9 works to update to this build



  • Guys, since a few Snapshot builds ago Vivaldi started being installed on my macOS as Vivaldi Snapshot app instead of replacing Vivaldi app as before. So now when I run Vivaldi Snapshot it runs as brand new installation, meaning my passwords are not there, my tabs are not there, etc. Before I installed Snapshot build by replacing the current one, and everything just worked. Now I have no idea how to use the Snapshot builds anymore.

    Could anyone advice how to make the Vivaldi Snapshot take the settings of Vivaldi (stable version)? I'm totally confused.



  • @adamas Read the thread for 1950.3.



  • @adamas There are changes to allow running flawlessly Stable alongside Snapshot on macOS. Vivaldi Snapshot is now a different app. Vivaldi.app is the stable version. Copy your profile from vivaldi.app over to vivaldi snapshot.app.



  • Are there any news about volume control on pip?



  • @iAN-CooG said in Extension crash fix – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1959.3:

    the placeholder icon for the iconless user.js script isn't shown in the dropdown menu, but only in the normal horizontal extension bar.

    Strange, for me it's opposite 😕

    24bbb80f-c9ce-4c34-b43f-dd4e3d530e95-image.png

    The extension with a missing icon only shows in the dropdown, but not in the regular expansion bar. I don't use the dropdown though, so for me not really an issue 😉



  • @Pathduck I may have worded it wrongly, even though it seems correct to me, but let's retry: I meant the iconless js doesn't have the placeholder icon, hence it's indeed iconless, in the dropdown menu, as per your screenshot,
    b.png
    while the placeholder icon is shown only in the normal horizontal extension bar.
    a.png
    Hopefully clear now, it's exacly like you see it.



  • @iAN-CooG Yes, it's the same thing, just wasn't sure. I also just realised I use a custom CSS to hide the icon in the horizontal one, but the dropdown uses a different CSS class 🤦♂

    If I remove the CSS I do see the placeholder icon.

    Personally I would've preferred to not see any icon at all for extensions that have no icon and hence no useful UI interaction apart from what's already available in the right-click menu (remove, show etc). I.e. we don't need any placeholders, they're ugly and redundant.



  • OK, I'll be annoying until it fixed. If don't like it, don't cry, no one cares.

    For those who using PWAs - that feature is still broken (and already borked stable branch).

    • no icon in title bar at all
    • icon in system taskbar is just default V logo
    • address bar is now visible by default and can not be hidden even via ctrl+f11
    • window chrome does not follow theme/accent color properly
    • vivaldi chrome lost page zoom controls -> no way to reset
    • silent crash when trying to open dev.tools for PWA page

    Most of above applies to popup windows (eg. office365/outlook.com 'open in new window' button).
    No idea why this buggy s**t was published while native chromium implementation still works good.



  • For those who using PWAs - that feature is still broken (and already borked stable branch).
    No idea why this buggy s**t was published while native chromium implementation still works good.

    Was it ever stated the feature is supposed to work flawlessly? I don't think so... It has to be explicitly enabled in vivaldi://experiments, it's an experiment and not deemed ready to be enabled by users looking for a stable browser.

    Chromium is Chromium, Vivaldi is Vivaldi. Unfortunately the hooks to be able to use PWA install without errors aren't here yet.

    Repeating a post about a pet bug won't make it get solved faster, as Vivaldi has its own priorities set considering multiple factors including but not limited to the top requested features by most users, and not the one a single user reposts a thousand times. It helps more if all the users interested in this to vote for the feature to get implemented in the feature requests forum, just saying.

    In this blog we are meant to discuss issues specific to the snapshot of the post. Your current behavior just creates unnecessary noise commenting about something that didn't start happening today and which is unrelated to the snapshot and should be left to the bug tracker. Seriously, you aren't helping the development by repeating the post 1000 times.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.