Side-by-side installation of Vivaldi on macOS – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1950.3

• Vivaldi Team

Today’s snapshot introduces a more distinct “Snapshot” stream for macOS users, so that they can now have stable and snapshot builds side-by-side.

Click here to see the full blog post

• Wuh! I'm the first 😃

• Vivaldi Team

@oudstand: Yes you are 🏆

• [Settings][Mouse gestures] Add “already assigned to “$2″ command” instead of “already exists” (VB-64683)

Brilliant! 👍

[Extensions] Extension without icon shows as blank in toolbar (VB-68442)

Well, it's better... but I'd rather just have no icon there (I now use a CSS mod to hide the one I have).

Interesting Chrome 84 flag changes

New:

• #post-quantum-cecpq2 (We live in Hackerman times)
    • #temporary-unexpire-flags-m82 & #temporary-unexpire-flags-m83 (if you need old flags)
    • #enable-preconnect-to-search (Sounds interesting, don't know what it does)
    • #installed-apps-in-cbd (New settings for clear browser data includes apps)
    • #detect-target-embedding-lookalikes (phishing detection - I don't know how google is determining this or what sites qualify for protection)
    • #enable-new-profile-picker (probably irrelevant to vivaldi)
    • #nearby-sharing (Trying to copy apple's airdrop I guess)
    • A bunch of web payment & card flags
    • #enable-experimental-cookie-features (probably related to upcoming policy changes by google RE cookies)
    • #enable-media-feeds (no, not XML feeds. This is to do with giving social media sites a way to push ads recommendations at you)
    • #conversion-measurement-api (no, not unit conversion. this is a system for determining what ads to show someone without needing cookies to track people)

Removed:

• #temporary-unexpire-flags-m78 & #temporary-unexpire-flags-m80 (if you needed any of these old flags they are gone now)
    • #ev-details-in-page-info (This flag is no longer necessary as the info box was restyled long ago)
    • #focus-mode (I guess chrome gave up on this experiment to copy a vivaldi feature)
    • #force-color-profile (This was used as a workaround for some vivaldi users who had colour problems. hopefully the issue is fixed for them)

• @Ruarí Yeees! That's a very welcome good news for Mac users! Many thanks Vivaldi Team! 👍👏

• On my local website I'm facing the problem, that the dev tools have a delay of about 5 seconds after a breakpoint is hit. So in this 5 seconds I can't do anything.
    I don't have the problem with Firefox, Opera, Edge (Chromium) or Chrome. Any ideas?

• @LonM said in Side-by-side installation of Vivaldi on macOS – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1950.3:

#post-quantum-cecpq2 (We live in Hackerman times)

You mean this guy? 🤓

alt text

#enable-preconnect-to-search (Sounds interesting, don't know what it does)

More always-connected nastiness from Chromium I guess 🙄

• [Extensions] Extension without icon shows as blank in toolbar (VB-68442)

This works on the normal extensions toolbar, but not if the icon gets hidden in the dropdown menu, still empty icon there.

@iAN-CooG I have reported this as VB-68713

@LonM An other useful list, I like your findings! 👍🏆

• Just a quick note for macOS users:

If you want to keep your current settings, open tabs, etc. when using a snapshot release, all you need to do is to close all instances of Vivaldi, go to "Library/Application Support/" inside the "Library" folder in your user folder, and copy the contents of the "Vivaldi" folder to the "Vivaldi Snapshot" folder.

In other words, copy the contents of "~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi/" to "~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi Snapshot/".

• @NSSynapse Yes, that's what I did (though I only copied default folder) and it works flawlessly.

• @hlehyaric Yes, the Default folder is definitely by far the most important information in that folder, I just wasn't sure whether it contained 100% of the things you would want to keep or only 95%, so erred on the side of caution. 🙂

• @NSSynapse I had to reset the two flags I use and the language UI. TBH, that's not the end of the world.

• A very welcome change for macOS users 😊

• My 1Password app is not recognizing Vivaldi Snapshot as a properly signed browser. Any idea what might be going on? I copied the entire ~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi folder to ~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi Snapshot so I could keep all of my settings, and that worked for the most part, but 1Password isn't accepting the browser, so I'm completely unable to fill passwords, which is a major issue for me. I never had any interest in using the stable channel, so this separation is nothing but trouble for me. I've tried deleting and re-adding the 1Password (Desktop App Required) extension, but no luck. And I refuse to use the 1Password X extension, because it is a MAJOR downgrade from the standard 1Password extension. I'll have to use the stable channel for now, even though I never wanted to bother with it.

I've also tried closing the browser, then deleting everything in ~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi Snapshot other than the "Default" folder, then starting it back up, and that didn't fix the issue.

@henderea FYI, a Vivaldi Snapshot user has already reported this issue to the 1Password support team: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/114082/support-for-vivaldi-snapshot-releases

• Interesting is that chrome://flags/#metal disappeared on macOS with this snapshot (it is on the stable build)

@Chas4 Chromium flags are only there to enable experimental code (that is disabled by default) for testing or to selectively disable code that is causing stability issues.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.