Hmmm...they say Brave is faster!

• Ambassador

@JohnConnorBear , It is not about creating dedicated extensions specifically for Vivaldi, but getting extensions that are useful for Vivaldi from the Chrome Store, to put them in a own store. Thus, the user is prevented from installing extensions that do not work or are even harmful.
    The Chrome Store obviously has thousands of extensions, but 3/4 of them are redundant for Vivaldi, nonsense or some even directly spyware or fake.
    Don't you think that, for example extensions, developed for Vivaldi by Vivaldi users, as an example the Vivaldi Forum Mod, would not be better in our own Store, instead of one of the competition, which is also far from being reliable?

• @Catweazle
    That would be easy.
    Like I said, there are two ways. Asking developers to push their extensions and updates both on Google and Vivaldi stores or Vivaldi duplicating the extensions and updates without asking.

Yes, of course extensions developed specifically for Vivaldi should go on Vivaldi store. But see, you are back to the things said before: "Vivaldi could create an api allowing developers to create extensions making use of it natively."

I am old and I have seen this happening many times, I would call it "wishful thinking", because, either there are big changes coming on Vivaldi that I am not aware of, or I don't see meaningful extensions developed for Vivaldi that don't work with other browsers, especially Chrome. Yes, you might say "if the you use Vivaldi and you need some feature, you make an extension for Vivaldi". Correct, but if I am not mistaken in the present condition Vivaldi owns only the GUI of the browser, everything else is owned by Google, so Vivaldi-specific extensions could be different only in the GUI, like presenting some stats or report in a different way. At this point I go back to the "old opera days" when extensions were added. Even then, I thought it was pointless because of the true nature of those extensions, like "calculator", "color picker" and so on. I mean, putting a button somewhere that opens a Web page with some JS inside is not what I would call "extension", simply because it does not "extend" anything.

Yes, I know that the same thing goes for Vivaldi browser itself.
    In fact I don't believe Vivaldi as a browser is so much better than Chrome just because of the different and more sophisticated GUI. The real reason why I use Vivaldi browser is because it does not profile me (or so I hope) and that is the reason why I would recommend it to other "chromium based browser" users.

Finally, it would be much simpler to add a big alert somewhere with this "message": DO NOT INSTALL ANY EXTENSION. The things you said are true but the reason is 99% extensions, since ever, are useless or harmful. Blindly install extensions is something people do because they are misinformed, much like "utilities" for Windows.

My whole reasoning was about the ONLY situation where extensions make sense in my opinion that is those feature the browser "maker" doesn't want or can't add because of political reasons and those are inevitably about inspecting and filtering contents in Web pages.

• @JohnConnorBear Vivaldi isn’t just a UI slapped on top of Chromium, that’s where you’re wrong. For example Vivaldi has its own system of syncing browser data. That’s not some GUI display trick, that’s actual code written for this functionality which works independent from the Chromium/Blink base. You can say the same for the upcoming M3 and its family of features.

Saying that Chromium is owned by Google is somewhat misleading too, it’s open source after all and theoretically anyone can contribute and/or fork the project. It’s just that Google is the main force behind it with the bulk of the commits under its belt. Vivaldi can do what they want, if they think its meaningful to introduce e.g. additional APIs that extend or add to the current chrome.extension APIs, no one will stop them.

• Ambassador

I think that talking about asking the developer of an extension in the case of FOSS, may or may not be necessary (depending on the license) to add it to a supposed repository or not, in the same sense of FOSS.
    For example, uBlock Origin is found in any repository that exists, like many others, it is therefore unnecessary to use extensions only from the Chrome Store.
    Regarding the need for extensions, it is true that Vivaldi needs less and less, especially now with the inclusion of the ad and tracker blocker, but even so, some specific extensions continue to be needed according to the particular needs of each user.

• Banned

Simply no to a Vivaldi store. There are various extensions that will never switch from the Chrome store, nor post in multiple stores. Opera is a prime example of why not. With Opera you have to install a extension to use extensions from the Chrome store and Vise Versa. That is pure BS. On another note @calabrais makes a lousy ambassador suggesting Vivaldi block the use of certain extensions by the enduser. That would be extremely tacky coming from a browser that suppose to be designed to protect the endusers privacy, AND be SO customizable.

• @AgentX said in Hmmm...they say Brave is faster!:

There are various extensions that will never switch from the Chrome store, nor post in multiple stores.

That's true. But would be easier for users to know alternatives which works in Vivaldi and would act as a visual filter for incompatible addons.
    In additon, several devs already try to support Vivaldi, so a catalog would be useful even for them.

With Opera you have to install a extension to use extensions from the Chrome store and Vise Versa.

That's opera. Edge support the chrome extensions without addons. It only suggest to use the microsoft store which is fine.

suggesting Vivaldi block the use of certain extensions by the enduser.

That would be a mistake. Some internals said that only malware/spam extensions will be blocked.
    Others may show a "fair-use warning" so users can decide.

But the road for a store, I fear, is long. Too early to speak.

• @luetage
    Sorry but you don't understand the situation well.
    To add an API to Chromium (upstream) you need to get approved by Google that pays the bills. Plus you are probably asked to contribute and maintain all the code related to that API of yours.
    To add an API to your software that is based on Chromium (downstream) you need to maintain a local branch of Chromium because you must fix all the issues around your API that are caused by Chromium updates.
    You are right, nobody stops you from working for Google for free and/or to fork Chromium.

The Sync is something that is "slapped on top of Chromium" and that is the reason why it makes sense, otherwise it would be the same as above.

• Ambassador

How does F-Droid in Android do it? It is another repository with OpenSource apps, alternative to Google Store. I think that for the vast majority of apps or extensions OpenSource there is no impediment that anyone can create a repository and add them to it.
    Another thing naturally if it is proprietary or commercial extensions or apps, then authorization and an eventual license fee are indeed required.

• Banned

@Hadden89 said in Hmmm...they say Brave is faster!:

@AgentX said in Hmmm...they say Brave is faster!:

There are various extensions that will never switch from the Chrome store, nor post in multiple stores.

That's true. But would be easier for users to know alternatives which works in Vivaldi and would act as a visual filter for incompatible addons.
    In additon, several devs already try to support Vivaldi, so a catalog would be useful even for them.

With Opera you have to install a extension to use extensions from the Chrome store and Vise Versa.

That's opera. Edge support the chrome extensions without addons. It only suggest to use the microsoft store which is fine.

suggesting Vivaldi block the use of certain extensions by the enduser.

That would be a mistake. Some internals said that only malware/spam extensions will be blocked.
    Others may show a "fair-use warning" so users can decide.

But the road for a store, I fear, is long. Too early to speak.

I say simple no to a Vivaldi store.

• @mib2berlin said in Hmmm...they say Brave is faster!:

@musicollector
    Hi, it only start faster, if you enable add and tracker blocking Vivaldi is faster on my system. I checked with Page load time 2.0.0 extension.
    Disable java script is a fancy idea, some pages are loading in 1/100 second but you can see anything on that page. jester
    Tested with Brave V1.9.72

Cheers, mib

Oh, lol, it doesn't matter to me if it starts faster. If that was the case, I would have dumped Firefox a long time ago - slower than molasses in launching! 😞 I am only interested in the performance, which in this case, belongs to Vivaldi.

• @Pesala said in Hmmm...they say Brave is faster!:

@musicollector I don't know why they say that Brave is better regarding privacy. Speed has more to do with your broadband connection than the browser that you use. I cannot tell the difference when it comes to a few hundred milliseconds.

I feel the same way. As a human, I don't see any difference. If it was connected to a scope, maybe. But who cares about milli or microseconds of a difference?

• @Catweazle said in Hmmm...they say Brave is faster!:

I think that this of the benchmark comparisons are quite useless, the difference that there can be in modern browsers is minimal, mostly invisible to the user.
    Possibly Brave is a tenth of seconds
    faster than Vivaldi, but the question is in which browser I can work faster, and at this point Vivaldi is incomparable.

For me, at this level, speed is no longer the issue. How much control does a user have to make it one's own? That's the rub. Vivaldi is incomparable in that aspect. I am constantly dazzled by all the tweaks one can do without having to go into code.

• Ambassador

@musicollector , this is the point, even after years I find new things in Vivaldi and more with each update.

• @Catweazle Indeed! No idea what took me so long to discover it!

• Ambassador

@Catweazle As I get older I rediscover things that I have long since forgotten were there.

• Ambassador

@Pesala , Vivaldi is like the sound that makes a Hand

• Banned

@Pesala said in Hmmm...they say Brave is faster!:

@Catweazle As I get older I rediscover things that I have long since forgotten were there.

You are referring to Vivaldi and not the pile of body parts in your basement,right? 😲 😲 😲

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.